got a free Instapot...I like it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
I got a free Instapot from someone in the neighborhood. They had melted a  few inches of the cord. Older model that does not have a removable cord. I like to experiment with various tools and this is one people have talked about a lot. So as I am still at homebase for a few months I asked for it and received it and then mended the cord. They did not mention that their dog had chewed on the rubbery plastic part of the pressure valve cover, but at least that very important part still worked OK.

I had to go online to get the instruction manual as just starting at the controls selections did not implant the way they worked into my brain. But it also took looking at a a small segment of an overly long video to get to the information I needed to get the thing to working. Easy to do once you know which things to push when and how long it takes after pushing them for something noticeable to actually start happening.

I wanted to make some soup with fresh veggies and some of the T-day turkey meat I had put into the freezer. Why bother with a recipe when you can just toss a bunch of stuff into a pot and have a real adventure instead of following behind everyone else.

So into the pot went some turkey, did not measure it.
into the pot went a few scoops of uncooked rice
some chicken bone broth stock
a can of diced tomatoes for extra liquid and flavor
a little extra water so that there was enough liquid to cover all the ingredients
a finely chopped jalapeno pepper
a diced red bell pepper
a couple of stalks of chopped celery
a parsnip
some baby carrots
fresh cilantro
the bone broth carton listed concentrated onion juice on the label so I did not add any onion
several shakes of ground chipoltle
a tablespoon or so of chili powder
black pepper
I held off on adding salt until after it cooked because there was salt in the tomatoes and bone broth
a good size splash of lime juice and about a tablespoon or so of balsamic vinegar

I wanted a bit of heat but not blast your mouth hot,  a taste of Mexico but not something that tasted like a pot of chili, more like the flavor of tortilla soup. You need the acid of the lime and vinegar to achieve that as well as the jalepeno and cilantro.

I set the pressure to medium and the timer to 12 minutes. I allowed the pressure come down on its own for close to 10 minutes but it smelled to good so I had to release the last of the pressure and get it open because my stomach was growling at me.

I have leftover soup for 4 meals and I am not in the least going to be bored by eating this soup for 4 more days. Served with warmed flour tortillas, but cornbread would also be good so maybe I will make a batch of that in the Instapot just to see how it goes.

Yes I really did like the convenience of the Instapot versus trying to get the burner heat set just right and then keep an eye on a stove top pressure cooker instead of getting to go off to do other stuff while it cooked.
I will not be taking it on the road. It is much too large and heavy to take in my tiny travel trailer that is pulled by my 4 cylinder car.

But if I had a big van with a big engine and lots of batteries and solar panels then I would strongly consider taking it along especially if I also had a freezer to store batches of cooking in. But I don't have those things so it will get re-gifted when I head out on the road. In the meantime I will enjoy having it around. I plan to put some bean soups into my mouth and into the freezer later this week.

You had me at "parsnip."

[emoji4]

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Might look into finding one of the smaller versions of the instant pot.... I don't know how small they make them, but I am maybe getting one for our van.

I have lifted up the smallest sized Instapot at the stores. It is still a good sized boat anchor.

Great score! An electric pressure cooker or an Instapot can be a fun and easy way to do some one pot meals. But as you mentioned they are large, and they take a lot of electricity. Not bad if you have the room, battery/inverter power, or an electrical connection. I sure see a lot of them on RV youtubes.

When I am home I enjoy using my electric pressure cooker as a "set it and forget it" tool, but when on the road and boondocking I love my smaller manual stovetop pressure cooker. It doesn't take much to babysit it while it cooks, and it is a fuel miser for cooking things that would otherwise take a long time and lots of propane.

If you get hooked on using the Instapot, you might consider a small stovetop pressure cooker as a stand in. They have some as small as a regular sauce pan.

Either way have fun now!

I really like mine too.  Aldi's for $39 a couple of years ago.  

The other day when the rain set in (2 inches in two days)  I set mine up and made Potato Soup. 

I cooked it in the instant pot without the evaporated milk and extra whole milk,  which I added later when the soup cooled some so the milk wouldn't curdle.  I use a potato masher to mash some of it up so it will be creamier.  I had added a pack of smoked sausage sliced into coins which gave it wonderful flavor.  

I'll be making Vegetable Soup later this week.  

These things are a jewel of the kitchen.

eDJ_ said:
I really like mine too.  Aldi's for $39 a couple of years ago.  

The other day when the rain set in (2 inches in two days)  I set mine up and made Potato Soup. 

Dang, how big is your battery bank to pull that off?

I use a smaller stovetop version and I then have a big pot to use for other stuff too.

I have a 6 quart. LOVE IT. I think there is one size smaller.
Slow cookers ( crock pot) seem to steam out all the flavor.
The pressure cookers seem to keep the taste in.

Jambalaya is the best thing I have made on mine. Something like this:

link: https://www.paintthekitchenred.com/instant-pot-jambalaya/

I skip the shrimp --too much cash--but that would make it even better.
I intend to get a stove top pressure cooker for camping or the road. T

B and C wrote:

Dang, how big is your battery bank to pull that off?

I use a smaller stovetop version and I then have a big pot to use for other stuff too.

I'm in the kitchen of my home.  My rig isn't insulated for winter weather at this time.

But I do carry an old Presto pressure cooker to use on my stove top when I travel. 

If I'm not pressure cooking in it I can use it without the lid as a big pot.
If there's leftovers I can seal it with the lid and if there is room in the ice cooler place it
in there to keep the food safe on hot days.  If I were going camping where there was
a site with shore power I'd take the Instant Pot so I could take advantage of it's automatic
features while I'm fishing, biking, sight seeing etc.  Then there is food ready when I get back.

I,ve got a 12V crock pot for those long, unattended cooking jobs. I use it when driving or I have excess solar.

That big pressure cooker pot does come in handy when not using the lid.

Rainier70 said:
If you get hooked on using the Instapot, you might consider a small stovetop pressure cooker as a stand in.  They have some as small as a regular sauce pan.

Either way have fun now!
Thanks, I do have a stove top pressure cooker that  travels with me. I have posted about it in another thread, it is a 2 liter Hawkins.

I learned how to use a pressure cooker when I was around 10 years old. So over the years I have often had one in my set of pots and pans. I got the Instapot for free and took it just for the fun of trying it out.

I think I should put on a pot of Turkey vegetable soup in the Instapot and roll out some some homemade egg noodles to put into the soup after the pressure cooking cycle is done.

My daughter gave me a big 6 quart T-fall pressure cooker but it makes so much food I only use it for potlucks. If I made a small amount in it it took forever to reach pressure or scorched or both. I bought a real Insta-pot 3 quart and I love it. I don't have power on road to use it but when I tent camp or go to motels I take it. Much tastier than motel microwaved food. With tent camping I stealth into the rest room and plug in late at night. Bring my food to pressure quickly by prewarming the pot with boiling water, unplug and wrap it in a towel for my stealth trip back to tent . The soup or stew stays safely hot all day and I eat the dish for breakfast, lunch and early supper.

I love my 3 quart InstaPot, too, and also like to use it for a meal with leftovers when I am in a campground with electricity.

I did the same thing with a crockpot when my husband was alive.

Being a meat and potatoes guy, I would make a point do pot roast, Swiss steak, meatloaf, etc.. in the crockpot while we had electricity.

Great to boondock, many advantages to the occasional night with electricity.

You can cook smaller amounts of food using the pot-in-pot method. put at least a cup of water in it, then set your smaller inner pot on the trellis. I really love it for making yogurt; most effortless yogurt ever!

I will have to try some things this way. I have a huge one used for my daycare business, but now just the two of us and the thing just sit there.... I use it to make stuff to freeze and save, but there is only so much room left in my freezer. I am trying to figure out if I should put it in my van and if I can figure smaller serving stuff maybe it will fit...

I would suggest you sell it and then use those funds to buy a smaller unit.