Eating with the seasons

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30781

Reaction score
We have our first heat wave ramping up and yesterday I got a craving for something I haven't made in a long time.  It's a chopped salad with shrimp added.  English cucumber, cauliflower, red pepper, carrots, radishes, green onions all diced up and small chunks of iceberg lettuce.  I made half today which was enough for a bowlful for son and I and enough leftover for him to take to work for lunch tomorrow.  I usually use salad shrimp but what was in the store yesterday didn't look so good to me so I got slightly larger shrimp. I like the salad shrimp better for this and will get some tomorrow and make another batch with the rest of the veggies tomorrow evening.  Oh yeah, dressing is like 2/3 mayo and 1/3 ranch.  Some grinds of black pepper.

Cold and crunchy is the best for hot weather to me.

What are you guys cooking up these days?

BBQ steak for hubby Cheddar dog for me grilled corn on the cob and roasted tatos and watermelon. We got warm enough for a real good ol' BBQ.
That salad sounds great.
When it gets really hot, not that it does here hardly ever, I just want cold sandwiches with tons of tomatoes and maybe salads and ice cream. Or dinner in an airconditioned restaurant.

It can get very hot here in the summer (Wenatchee valley). I was looking at the Wiki for Quartzsite today and thinking that the average highs there in the summer weren't much more than some hot summers I've been though here.

My kid's dad gave me our old Weber we had when we first got married in the mid 80s after he got himself a big, fancy
propane grill. It's just awfully big for one or two people.

Remember the little tabletop hibachis from years ago? I need one of those, I wonder if they're still made. I'd like to
grill occasionally but not on that great, big dinosaur. lol

Watermelon. That reminds me. I like to fill a glass pitcher with cold water and put in chunks of watermelon and slices
of cucumber and a couple lemon slices. I would have never thought to put them together until one summer Costco had this cucumber & watermelon lemonade and it was soooooo good and refreshing.

My very breakfast favorite this morning. A chili omelette. I made gringo chili yesterday and I put shredded extra sharp white cheddar then the chili on top. Fold it over and put a big dab of sour cream on top. Best omelette ever.

Here in Lancaster County PA We have a large market called “ROOTS” Every Tuesday for 90 some years. Hundreds of vendors thousands of people. I had a “stand” there for 30 years with my nature photography and some woodworking and then eventually it just became a place for the kids to visit and learn about nature.I think today was the biggest day I’ve seen in a long time because the mask order is over at least that’s what I think the cause was. One of the other causes fresh local strawberries are abundant, Spring onions And asparagus are plentiful. I splurged (i’m doing that too often )with ice cream with strawberries sliced up over top of it brought some strawberries home still have some asparagus here. I love eating with the seasons. I guess I could’ve said that differently. “I love eating“

Oh here is another thread I have to avoid! These last two descriptions have made me very hungry for a not diet friendly lunch! I want cheese and sour cream and ice cream! (Good thing I have none of them lol)

Even tho I cannot read his what's for dinner thread, I miss seeing Jdub post. Anyone hear from him lately?

The fair is open again time for corndogs and curly fries and fresh made lemonade. This year there is a fresh fruit smoothy booth and I hope they can get enough business to come back next year. And oh yea the fresh berry dingle berry booth is open too.

I am hoping there are still a few food fests. going when we can get back out this fall

Do you have a fest. you try to hit when ever you can? I'm looking forward to the mussel fest in Coupville this year. And right now the strawberry fest is going somewhere I think Marysville.

vanbrat said:
The fair is open again time for corndogs and curly fries and fresh made lemonade.

Does that count for eating with the seasons? See Ravella - you can have treats too [emoji3]

Fortunately I am not very hungry in hot weather so I am shedding ecxcess pounds quickly.  Most of my meals this summer are a variation on stir fry, often with an egg scrambled in. I don't serve it over rice or noodles but sometimes use a soft flour tortilla to wrap it in. The egg keeps me feeling full for a lot of hours and it is an inexpensive protein with lots of essential minerals.

Stir fry works great when you have a smaller fridge because you can dice up the veggies and zip lock bag them right after you buy them. That way they are already prepped when you want to cook a meal. Plus stir fry is a fuel saver as things cook quickly and there is only one pan to wash.

Summer is a good time for this as the veggies are plentiful and fresh and so are eggs.

I seem to eat to much no matter what, but at least in summer I eat more fresh stuff. Except of course fair food, nothing there is very fresh.

We're in OREGON............OMG the Blackberries are Everywhere along the rivers and ocean..........Yum !

A camp host near Gold Beach says there is a Black bear seen feeding on the berries nearby...............

A mango a day here.
-crofter

Yes I like those average temperatures much better than the actual ones. Plan on 107 degrees, with many days hotter than 110 degrees from June through Labor Day in th low desert at141 feet elevation. Many higher elevations have slightly cooler temps, mud slides, and forest fires. -c

abnorm said:
We're in OREGON............OMG the Blackberries are Everywhere along the rivers and ocean..........Yum !

A camp host near Gold Beach says there is a Black bear seen feeding on the berries nearby...............
We lived in a little town on the OR coast for a yearish not to long ago...  Those little black bears where everywhere! but we had 2 big dogs and they never stayed to close to our place. I love the NW blackberries they make some VERY yummy cobblers, pies, jams, and such I like to get 90% of the seeds out and add the juice to fruit leather. SOOOO good and the berries added to ice cream, heaven. Ok time to get my jam jars out.