Rebuild 91 Dodge short van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotSmart

Reaction score
It has been close to 3 years since I started my first build on this van.  Since I am upgrading things to make the electrical handle a freezer, I figured that I might as well build the interior with new material, and not recycled scraps.

The first thing I did was to remove the sink cabinet.  If I have not had enough of a need for a sink in the past couple years, I can live without it. It has already been donated to Michelle, (GMC Gypsy)  I will replace it with a plastic drawer unit later.

Next the closet and electrical was removed.  

I went out and purchased 2 sheets of Polyiso.  One 1/2 inch, and 1 1 inch.  I cut the 1 inch down to fit inside the window squares, then spray painted them black. 

The 1/2 inch went directly over the existing conversion walls.  The seams were taped with aluminum tape.

I cut a sheet of bead board to fit over the wheel well, and stained it.  That got put up with deck screws with trim washers.

Tomorrow I will put the electrical back in.

This is only the drivers side wall.  After the 1st, I will buy 2 more sheets of bead board, and do the rest of the interior.  This version will have an actual bed, with storage under it.

Attachments

• van build 2i.jpg
    van build 2i.jpg
    332.4 KB
  • van build 2a.jpg
    van build 2a.jpg
    460.1 KB
  • van build 2e.jpg
    van build 2e.jpg
    417.6 KB
  • van build 2h.jpg
    van build 2h.jpg
    375.8 KB
This shows the difference on the windows with painted Polyiso coverings

Total cost so far. $85.97

Attachments

• van build 2c.jpg
    van build 2c.jpg
    604.3 KB
  • van build 2d.jpg
    van build 2d.jpg
    499.2 KB
  • van build 2b.jpg
    van build 2b.jpg
    424.1 KB
Wow. All of your experience is paying off in knowing now just what you need. And it looks good for insulating those window.. makes me a bit jealous but I just "can't" bear to permanently cover mine.

Lookin' Good!  I like the stain on the bead board...gives it a rustic look and dark like cave.  I live in a cave now......that's what I call my apt. as I sleep a lot during the day due to being a night owl and my bedroom and living room windows are too close to the street for comfort so  I use really dense window coverings.

If you get a side window broken can it be replaced from the outside?  Is that your electric control panel on the osb?   Will you have to put your bed long ways?    I'm 5'5'' so I think I'll be o.k. with a cross ways bed...if I don't get too frustrated to wait for a van and end up sleeping in the Ranger's bed with a blue tarp for cover!!

I'll end up burning whale oil  'cuz  i'll never be able to hook up solar with out electrocuting myself, which has already happened once  in my life  and it truly was a shocking experience!!    :huh: Did not make my hair do this........ almost.

Damn I asked a lot of questions....I AM DONE NOW......Kiss the cat..........Jewellann

Gary68 said:
looks good,covering all the windows?

There are 3 large windows, 6 door windows, and the windshield.  Only the large ones will be covered.  

The OSB is the old closet, with the electric.  I am working out how the system will be mounted. One thing for sure, I want easier access, I am thinking about having the bed across the back so the tools can be stored under there.  

The beauty about 12 volt solar is you only make sparks, no big shocks like with 120 or 240 Volts.    :p

Tomorrow I will figure out the wiring.  I took plenty of pictures so I can see where things were hooked up.  I just have to make sure there is room for a MPPT controller down the line.   :cool:

When I show how the electric is mounted, I will put links to the components.

First I installed the power distribution box.  It is a Blue Seas 12 circuit blade type.  About $40.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

The wire off the top is to the ground.  (Frame) 

Under that is the safety fuse. I have a ANL box, and 100 A fuses. Together about $13, 

http://www.amazon.com/Scoshe-EWFH-S...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

http://www.amazon.com/Scoshe-EWFH-S...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Off of the alternator, I have a Solenoid relay with another ANL fuse protecting it.  $14.  I have this in a electrical D box with inner tube lining to protect from accidental shorts. 

http://www.amazon.com/CONTINUOUS-SO...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

This is a 4 pole, which means I have to turn it on independently for it to charge my battery bank.   

I am pre wiring everything, saving the hot wires for last.  This afternoon I will post again with the next round of installations.  Before I am done the complete picture will be there.  After yesterday, I hurt so much I could not sleep.  It sucks to get old!   :p

Attachments

• van build 2k.jpg
    van build 2k.jpg
    471.4 KB
  • van build 2j.jpg
    van build 2j.jpg
    429.5 KB
Looks good John.
I like windows in the main living area but each of us has our preferences.
How's that beadboard conforming to the curve of the wall?

bindi&us said:
Looks good John.
I like windows in the main living area but each of us has our preferences.
How's that beadboard conforming to the curve of the wall?

The beadboard is the best idea yet.  $21.00, lay it sideways, and Bada bing, bada boom.  instant wall.

Oh this is gonna be nice. Hope you can make time to rest a little between rounds, John!

Sassy

GotSmart said:
It has been close to 3 years since I started my first build on this van.  Since I am upgrading things to make the electrical handle a freezer, I figured that I might as well build the interior with new material, and not recycled scraps.

That will be WAAAY more efficient for heating and cooling now. Not to mention the added privacy of people not being able to look through the glass.
Looking GOOD Man!  ;)

sassypickins said:
Oh this is gonna be nice.  Hope you can make time to rest a little between rounds, John!  

Sassy

I mounted the solar controller, and started to tear down more pieces that were in the way.  Then I came in and passed out.  Tomorrow is another day.

Wow, when you decided to start, you really jumped in with both feet. I like it so far, and I think having a real bed will make it much more comfortable for you. I'm to tall to sleep across the back, but if you can make that work I think it will be the most efficient for you, especially in the short van. In the first pictures the van is riding so much higher than when you were on the road. When you start to load things back in maybe pick and choose a little more as to what you need - I know you've been doing that aready - just encouraging a fellow tool nut to continue shedding the unnecessary. I think I'll go out and make another round of dumping stuff out of the trailer - even put my truck on a diet and probably reduced it's normal carrying weight by at least 500 lbs.

I already pulled a lot of weight out with the old materials.  The new stuff will be about 1/3 the weight.

I will be going through the tools, and having a yard sale.   :D

What a week.  Between dealing with the medical problems, and lack of energy, I did not get anything done.  Today I went and measured for the next round of materials, and found I needed 5 foot across on the ceiling. So I had to get an extra sheet of bead board.  It was that or have 6 inch trim.  I will get the trim later once I know exactly how it will fit.  I used to be able to do this all in my head.

Tomorrow it is supposed to clear up, and be sunny the rest of the week.  I can stain the wood and cut it to fit.  Good thing I have my son-in-law here to double check my work.   

I still need to decide where to put the outlets.

The last few days I got a lot done.  I stained 3 sheets of beadboard, and let them dry in the sun.  I finished the insulation, and installed the boards.  Instead of using one full sheet on the ceiling, and patching in a 12 inch piece, I split tje boards at 42 inches so I could cut out for the vent fan.  I ran a few wires, and installed one light.  I think tomorrow I will hook up my electric.  

I still have to cut the back pieces around the doors, but I have templates from the existing interior.  The trim will come after the wires are all in. 

It feels good to be able to work, but I get drained so quickly.  I am not used to having my blood sugar in the "normal" range.

Attachments

• vvan build L.jpg
    vvan build L.jpg
    477 KB
  • van build m.jpg
    van build m.jpg
    419.4 KB
GotSmart said:
  I finished the insulation, and installed the boards.  
Looks good! I love the look of stained wood. It reminds me of an old cabin in the mountains. :)

Looking good. Don't push yourself too hard, just do what you can each day.

masterplumber said:
Looking good. Don't push yourself too hard, just do what you can each day.

I am just playing with it as I can.   :D