Rear Windows Option -NV200 or None At All

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cynanne

Reaction score
I want to be stealth and with the NV200 I can go windowless (completely in the back). I sometimes think I don't need windows at all. There are none on the sides and the back window -you can opt out. I will have a backup camera so I don't need to see out the back. I would like to hear an argument for taking the back window option. I am questioning it in regard to stealthiness. What about making it harder to do insulation there? Does a windowless van create suspicion when parked in residential areas? Does it make any of you feel safer? Any responses would be great. It does not cost all that much to add them in the back but it is definitely optional.

All vans in Seattle that have the windows blocked out or no windows at all are suspect of being lived in. Most especially true of any van that is new on the block and not known to belong to a resident of that street. There are many people living in vans because of the high rent. That means it is pretty much assumed someone is living in it It is not illegal to sleep in a vehicle in Seattle and the winters are generally mild enough that no one is going to freeze to death in them. The RVs park in the industrial neighborhoods because they are usually wider than 80". The van dwellers usually find a spot in the residential neighborhoods especially the ones that have quite a few apartments where strange vehicles do not put people on high alert for stranger danger.

I would not enjoy being cooped up in a metal coffin with no windows. I have had enough of being in windowless spaces. I spent years working in such places and I crave having windows to look out of. Of course I also don't want to be living on the street in a city either. That is much too noisy and way too many thieves target vans that look like they might have tools in them. I would fear far more for my personal safety in a contractor van in a city setting as it is a prime target for break ins and also for graffiti van-da-lism.

I love having rear windows in my van and I also have a rear bunk right there to admire the view. You will need magnets and black out for in town. If i am parking I stay quiet and dark till I leave again.

I wanted to get european van windows with screens, but I just open one of the back doors for flow thru. There is a way you can chain them against entry if you want.

I do not use the rear windows while driving, just the mirrors. Worst thing driving is when they get in your blind spot, and the mirrors will show this.  -crofter

just curious as to why you are posting windows from European sources rather than using USA sources for windows?

plastic or acrylic what ever it's made out of just is not as durable as glass. for me I would have them scratched all up within a year. desert pin stripping gets everything on the sides of vehicle not just the paint.

another point this is about double pane windows I talked to one of the big RV window manufacturers and they told me for off highway driving they recommended NOT using double pane windows.

highdesertranger

Motion windows site is the glass ones, T frame with screen. About $300 each plus ship and install.  -crofter

+ 1 on Motion Windows. I bought two of their windows for my cargo trailer. Really high quality merchandise -- pricy, but still...

Anyway, you tell them exactly what size and configuration you want and they make them to your specs and send them to you.

The good stuff.

Johnny

+ 2 on Motion Windows. We have 7 double pane in our RV. They're 10 years old and we've driven more than 150,000 miles over all kinds of roads including washboard dirt and they're holding up excellently. The only thing we could slightly complain about is the sealant between the panes on some of the windows has oozed a very tiny amount so the line is no longer crisp.

Thank you. I did want the back insulated but with the windows there it will present a problem. Does anyone have any info about that? Is it just a tradeoff one has to make?