Rear Cargo Trailer Doors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit

Reaction score
I'm nearing completion of a very ordinary 6x10 cargo trailer conversion, with very ordinary dual rear doors. Does anyone know of a good way to modify/alter/whatever said rear doors so they can't be locked against my will from the outside? I have an RV-style door in the side, yes. But more than one exit is always a good idea, especially when mischief-makers are around. Thanks!

I used a small coated chain, padlock, and D-ring to secure my side door bar-lock in the unlocked position from outside. 

This prevents the bar-lock from being locked. 

If you did something like that, you could install a gate-style sliding bolt lock on the inside of the rear doors, top and bottom.

TX2Sturgis has a good point about locking out the bar-lock on the doors. This will not prevent someone from jamming something against the back door. Think chair under the doorknob of a door.

I suggest putting in a window big enough to crawl out of.

My $0.02 worth.

Presteaux! said:
You know, this was something I had not considered. At all. Has this actually been happening?

Not that I know of, in reality. But it's a scary thought, and will probably happen to someone eventually. I don't want it to be me.

Latest posts