Rear AC unit removal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryguy

Reaction score
I'm working on taking the insides out of a Astro passenger van so I have the maximum room to build in and I was curious about removing the rear AC unit from the back drivers side area.  I found this http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=70233 Seems my assumptions were right about leaking gas into the air during removal. Has anyone removed/had someone remove theirs? Curious about price. My AC currently works great and I don't really want to pay to drain and recharge the system if it's a lot. Thanks

My friends astro has the rear AC. It does take up some room in the body panels, but the whole interior as built is a lesson in wasted space.

I ripped out my rear AC unit, several years after it has last been filled with refrigerant. It had been emptied by the engine rebuilders and I never bothered refilling it. Should have ripped it out sooner, or actually refilled it after the rebuild, but I no;t need AC 99% of the time and hated the throttle response/feel when it was operational anyway.

I am not sure it is possible to remove the rear exchanger without depressurizing the system

no you can't remove the rear AC with removing all Freon. then you must replace the hoses with ones without the tees, I know of no way to cap them off. maybe somebody else does. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
if it works why are you taking it apart?  highdesertranger

Because I want the space to store stuff, it doesn't take up a lot of room but I also don't think I'll be using the rear ac ever. I'm in hot desert country too so I would definitely want to recharge it after the depressurization. Thanks all.