Rear Heat/AC in Chevy Express

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaLvan

Reaction score
We are considering taking out the headliner in our 2014 Chevy Express Passenger van.  The van has a rear AC and heat unit in the back on the driver's side.  Taking the heat/AC unit out or bypassing is more than we want to do given our limited knowledge.  I seem to remember reading here or elsewhere that someone had left the system in place but did away with the upper ductwork (which I think is just part of the headliner) and let it vent out into the open.  Anyone have experience with this?  In truth, I don't think we will really use the rear heat or AC but this would still give us the option.  Any tips for headliner removal would be appreciated, also.  Thanks.

I suggest keeping the headliner in at least the front compartment. It's miserable without that thermal and sound insulation. Cutting it just behind the front doors and removing the rest is a lot easier than constructing some kind of replacement in that domed shape.

Sorry I wasn't clearer in original post - I only want to remove headliner in back portion of the van. The van headliner is in 2 pieces and I can easily leave the front section in with the existing seam in it.