Ready to go!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solidus4772

Reaction score
It's taken me a few years, but I've finally realized I'm supposed to be in nature, not living in a concrete jungle full of people willing to step on each other for the sake of money and stuff.

Born and raised in Florida, I'm at home among pines, oaks, and the swamplands that dot the forests. Owning a house has always been strange to me, and seemingly a near impossible feat to properly obtain, with property taxes and mortgage and insurance and neighbors, etc. All that time and energy spent in a house you never truly own, but just "live" in and fill full of non essentials.

Growing up I've never had a stable home, and naturally I've had to adapt to each situation as best I could. That alone has been enough to make houses uncomfortable and just seem like a waste of money and time, which could be spent so much more efficiently without the luxuries of which society and marketing have just expected everyone to need.

See, I suffer from severe depression. Having to fight everyday to keep up with what "normal" life is supposed to be has ran me into the ground. Here's where my RV comes in. I pooled my last resources to invest in a 1995 Rexhall Aerbus for $4500 in disrepair. I got a really good deal, and I've been living in and renovating it for a few months now. Without even traveling yet, the comfort of owning my rig, and knowing I have the ability to travel and live as freely as I want has helped me tremendously with my depression.

I'm looking to travel the rest of my life, and help whoever I can along the way. I'm hoping in a few months time I'll have my rig roadworthy (still fixing tail lights and generator, as well as transferring my tag from another vehicle), and out there somewhere.

My biggest fear is money. I hate dealing with it. I have no steady stream of income, and having a class A CDL, I'm really not looking to drive long haul anymore. I'm looking everyday to see if I can find local trucking jobs for the mean time, but I would do anything as long as I keep my freedom (which is essentially covering food, gas, and insurance expenses). If I could make $500 bucks a month, I would be happy. \

All I want out of this life is to do good for people, lend a hand, and see what adventures lie in wait. My life is a work in progress, and I feel the same for my RV, but I'd rather take issues as they come rather than leaving it sit longer and longer as I nitpick it to death, too afraid to have something fail. Then, it's just a house again.

In all, I'm still a young guy (28), and I'm not willing to spend the rest of my youthfulness and energy on slaving away at things that bring me nothing but pain in the end. I want to experience it all, so hopefully among these threads I'll find kindred spirits and kind words of advice. I'm going it alone, but it's a journey I feel doesn't have to be isolated. Thanks to Bob and his channel for all the experienced advice so far, and I welcome any advice whether it be campsites, jobs, cool places; I want it all.  :D That's it for me, and I hope to eventually tag along with you guys out there somewhere! -Matt

OK. Here's a thought. After you figure out how to get that $500 a month, try to get a little more and invest it in a Blue Chip stock, like AT&T, that pays over 4% interest. Watch the price cycle and buy when you think it is low. $150,000 worth of T will give you the $500 a month you want. It will also give you a substantial kitty in case of emergencies. Yes, $150,000 is a lot of money for you to save. But you don't have to have it all at once, and every increase in your shares gives you a boost and pays you for having them.

That's an awesome dividend. I used to love Bristol Meyers for the same reason. The stock price didn't move but the dividend was solid. Question now is... With historical highs in all indices's, is now an appropriate time to buy any stock?

WHOO HOO! Good for you!

I am a native Floridian, though I've lived many other places. The keeping of the stationary house is not what I want nor can do any more. I might not be able to live on the road for long, but if I'm going to do it, it's "now".

I,too want to just do good for others... perhaps we can create a non-profit educating and helping others? Oh wait.... I have one that's inactive!

Deal Breaker-- IMO If you go into stock market now, do so in increments and realize that it will burst at some point perhaps this year... and that houses might begin to tumble in value as well.... I like mutual funds and have always doubled my money " " Split even then, growth and income... but stick with $5000 increments each week or month is about as safe as you can be. Anything that moves, if watched, can work. Good wishes!

Deal Breaker said:
That's an awesome dividend. I used to love Bristol Meyers for the same reason. The stock price didn't move but the dividend was solid. Question now is... With historical highs in all indices's, is now an appropriate time to buy any stock?

If you are just starting out, you won't be able to buy right away. You will have plenty of time to track the stocks you like and see where the market is going before you can afford to buy enough shares to make it worth the trade fee ($7.00 at Scottrade). Scottrade also has a stop-loss function that will trigger a sale if the market starts to crash and keep your losses to a minimum. Don't know about other trading companies. I have only used Scottrade and Raymond James. Raymond James had no online trading option at the time and had much higher trading fees at $30. While I was starting out building up my portflio, that $23 extra per trade made a difference.

When I started investing with Merrill Lynch in the 70's, you couldn't trade on your own. Had to call the broker for any trade and it was like 4% every time they made a move. What a difference the internet has made... I'm with Scottrade or was until they got bought out a couple months ago... I'm an options trader and love the action. Agreed you have to watch it everyday or you'll get caught with your pants down big time!

gcal said:
OK. Here's a thought. After you figure out how to get that $500 a month, try to get a little more and invest it in a Blue Chip stock, like AT&T, that pays over 4% interest. Watch the price cycle and buy when you think it is low. $150,000 worth of T will give you the $500 a month you want. It will also give you a substantial kitty in case of emergencies. Yes, $150,000 is a lot of money for you to save. But you don't have to have it all at once, and every increase in your shares gives you a boost and pays you for having them
With no experience trading stocks, would $1000 be a good start to invest all at once? I just sold my tow vehicle, so now would be the time to use that little chunk of cash I guess? I really have a hard time trusting stock when it seems like the companies benefit from it so much more than the individual. Kinda like how paypal collects interest on money it holds after every ebay sale. They say it's to ensure a secure transaction to hold your money up to 14 days after the sale, but obviously they're cashing in on that interest. I guess that's how business goes everyday, but it just seems shady and self serving playing with other peoples' money. :p

Solidus4772 said:
With no experience trading stocks, would $1000 be a good start to invest all at once? I just sold my tow vehicle, so now would be the time to use that little chunk of cash I guess? I really have a hard time trusting stock when it seems like the companies benefit from it so much more than the individual. Kinda like how paypal collects interest on money it holds after every ebay sale. They say it's to ensure a secure transaction to hold your money up to 14 days after the sale, but obviously they're cashing in on that interest. I guess that's how business goes everyday, but it just seems shady and self serving playing with other peoples' money. :p

It depends upon whar you are buying. For instance, you would only be able to buy 25 shares of T. It would certainly be enough to open a savings account, which is where you will have to start. I think most firms have minimum investment amounts to open an account. Scottfmrade only let me open an account under their requirement because our IRA's ae there. Raymond James allowed an account with less. The important thing is to start somewhere with whatever you have and keep building, even it is not a big amount. It takes money to make money. It also takes money to get a good interest rate on whatever credit card or borrowing you want to do.

On another issue, many fulltimers want or need occasional jobs. Stable finances will help by allowing you to pick and choose your opportunities and to keep your credit rating healthy in lean times. A lot of employers will check an applicant's credit rating to see how stable they are. Nobody wants to hire someone who does not look like he can handle his own life.

This is honestly the most help I've received in a long time. I can't thank you guys enough for the support so far, and it's just day 1. Any and all information you can give is very appreciated. I'm a sponge, soak me in info! :D