Reading Recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
I read a lot.  I have a lot of books.  Too many books.  I hate to get rid of books and have run out of room for storing books.  So I am want to start getting books electronically.  Which means I need to decide what electronic book reader is the best solution for a mobile, off grid environment.

Kindle?   Fire?  iPad?   What works for you and why?

I use the Kindle for PC, on my laptop. It allows me to store and read as much as I want, without needing a second electronic device to carry around and charge up.

The disadvantage is that you don't get the glare-free screen that you have with the Kindle device. I can live with that though.

i like my ipad, for everything - books, streaming movies/tv, games, email even work.
there is a free app called "libby" (probably available on all platforms as well)..connects to the shared online library network...with one public library card i have access to just about anything, and when i can't find it on libby i suggest it to my "home" library and generally they track it down or secure digital rights within a couple months.

you will need to establish a connection to a library that participates though (as in patron card)...and I am located in the northeast US, may be different in other areas

just finished up on Carl Hiaasen's books (adult titles, not the kids books, but those are good too). Skinny Dip is good one one to start with for him
also like Christopher Moore 

guess dark comedy is one of my fav genres :)

i do love to curl up with a good book, but am really enjoying the ease and availability of so many titles in e-form, free, access 24/7

also meant to include, libby app, like most reading apps, will download to device so you do not have to be online to read...i can have up to 7 titles, each for two weeks, and renewable for another two weeks(requires wifi/data connection to renew)...so can load up on titles and read for quite awhile before need to visit the "library" again :rolleyes:

disclaimer; no, i am not a librarian, but i have played one irl

I have a Wi-Fi old fashioned kindle. I have a Kindle Touch with AT&T 3G for when I don't have access to Wi-Fi (or Tmobile, my phone and tablet provider). I also use the app on the phone and tablet. I like the Touch for reading at night. The nice thing about using the apps is that you can listen to audio books. I used to have a Kindle Fire, but it was clunky and I didn't have patience with it, so I gave it away.

I read a lot. And I'm looking at a hard copy library book as I type.
Ted

I read mostly on my smartphone (or Android tablet) using Overdrive app where you can download ebooks and audio books from libraries for free. My mother and others all say that for a designated device, kindle has more available than nook.

The advantage to a dedicated reader device is that the battery lasts a long time and you can read in broad daylight, whereas on a phone or tablet, it is bright for night reading and you always have your phone for its numerous other uses. Never have to feel at loose ends at a cafe on your own. I read 3 newspapers a day on my phone, too.

I'm a part-timer and have probably 3000-4000 books, which were collected over the years for me to read after retirement (ie, now). Every time I go out on a trip, I take a large box full of them, and hope to be down to 3 books by the day I die.

When done, I donate them to the book sale that supports the local library. Probably 200 books/year donated. Cool, by my calculations, 4000 books/200 means I should get to live another 20-years.

From my years starting with the first kindle, I'd recommend it unhesitatingly. Even the cheap ones are good for reading.

I won't get too much into the reasons why unless you ask, but to get started -- with regular reading, you constantly have to adjust your grip and catch the light just right. Kindles can have jackets that let you hook your fingers in (the only kind I'd recommend, it's that big a deal) so you don't actually have to grip the book at all ... it just stays there. And if you're either using a kindle fire (self-lit) or attaching a light to a regular unlit kindle, you never have to worry about catching the light again. These things may sound small but they add up to an astonishing degree ... I read twice as fast on my kindle at least. And that's just the start.

Anyway, kindle is the most popular reading format, there are an unlimited number of books you can read for free(actually that's not unique to kindle), and they are simply high quality overall. I've dropped all of mine quite a few times (with a jacket on) and none has ever stopped working or even showed any signs of slowing down from it.

The small sizes are better for sticking in a back pocket and the larger ones better for watching movies and such (you can store them too, as many as you have the micro SD cards to hold), but I've done both on either and it's a satisfying experience.

The sound on any portable device could be better, so I'd recommend some good earphones. I like the Shure E200's I think it is, I can find the info if you care. The cords on most earphones are not at all durable, so you are lucky to get more than a year, but some you are lucky to get more than six months, and that makes a difference. With the Shure's, though, you only have to replace the cord, not the whole earphone, and that comes out to 20 to 30 bucks/year if you use them for hours and hours everyday. Nevertheless, the sound on the kindles I've had has always been surprisingly good even without earphones. But you'll get that "theater experience" with earphones regardless of what you think of the speakers. Little tablets are not made to sound great without earphones.

At this point I would recommend a Kindle Fire for the diverse utility of it -- internet access, MS Office type productivity suites that are quite compatible with MS Office, ability to watch movies and TV or youtube, to browse the web, and to read with or without light. Useful apps of the usual sort ... I find a kindle alarm clock much better than anything else I've ever used. And there's Alexa, the Siri-like app that Amazon uses, if you want to ask about the weather, set timers and alarms, etc etc.

Right now I'd suggest the Fire HD 10. If you spend extra for the 64 gig version you don't have to sweat swapping and losing MicroSD cards if you're into downloading movies/TV rather than streaming. That's super handy when you're going to be away from reliable internet. Download a whole season or two of a show at a time, queue tons of stuff up for those down times, and whatever doesn't fit on your internal memory will go onto a MicroSD card ... so get one. I have tons of stuff on mine for those situations. And these days Amazon preloads stuff occasionally for you, so you might find a movie there that you didn't order (but won't have to pay for).

All in all it's a durable, flexible, and well-priced thing. If you just want to read on any of the kindles, they're great at that. And if you want to do more and have a sort of all-in-one device, look at a Kindle Fire.

I love to read.  I used to own a lot of books but came to the conclusion that I'd never read most of them a second time, so I got rid of 98% of them.  That realization instantly broke my emotional attachment to having to keep so many of them.   I allow myself 24 books at a time and have 21 right now.  I only keep books that I haven't read yet or ones that I want to study more.  If I have a book, I'm  n.e.v.e.r  bored.

I'm massively "old-fashioned" and traditional so I've never had an e-reader and don't want one.  My laptop is all the glare I can handle.  That said, I completely understand why people love them.

People who are too traditional are missing out big time. E-readers are massively more comfortable to read. And there is far less glare.

I like my Kindle Paperwhite and have owned it six years with no problems. That said, at this point I prefer paperback books. If you buy an Audible audiobook or Kindle ebook and want to share it with a friend or give it away, you can't. Paperbacks, however, are sharable. Also, a lot of Kindle books are just as expensive as the paperbacks.

travelaround said:
I like my Kindle Paperwhite and have owned it six years with no problems. That said, at this point I prefer paperback books. If you buy an Audible audiobook or Kindle ebook and want to share it with a friend or give it away, you can't. Paperbacks, however, are sharable. Also, a lot of Kindle books are just as expensive as the paperbacks.

I can't say for audible because it's been years since I've had an account, but on kindle, yes you can.  Many books are loanable.  I've loaned books out and had books loaned to me multiple times.

Re expense, I've found few kindle e-books are as expensive as their paper- or hardback cousins.  Mostly the newest books from major publishers, and even those when a sale is not operative.  New books are actually often promoted at a significant discount.  Where I find kindle e-books to be still expensive are especially with the classics from major publishers; for example Penguin's The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson is many decades old but still sells at full price.

However, I regularly pick up ordinarily pricey and often quite popular e-books at steep discounts, generally 2.99 or 3.99.  I've gotten a few Steven Pinker books that way, Jon Ronson's "The Psychopath Test," "Salt, A world History," "Anatomy of an Epidemic," (Penguin and Random House), Smoke and Pickles, The Witches Vaccuum Cleaner, Slow Cooker Revolution (America's Test Kitchen), The Mythology Book, How to Cook Everything Basics (mark Bittman), Hungry Men, Prisoners of Geography, A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World; The Little Book of Talent, Naming Names ... etc etc.

Plus don't forget that there are multiple organizations putting out free books available through Amazon and elsewhere, in the tens of thousands. Pretty much all the old classics are available for free, and the same thing is going on with audiobooks -- all of which can be read/played on the kindle fire, and the books can be read on any kindle or other e-reader.

You can also carry thousands of books in your pocket with an e-reader, and borrow e-books from e-libraries across the country either free or for a nominal membership fee.

The one thing I would put aside e-books for is books with maps or complex visual requirements, like detailed charts. Maps are much harder to read on even the biggest e-readers, and sometimes not carefully transferred over into e-book format. Tables/spreadsheets in e-book form rather than, say, MS Word or equivalent are much harder to read too.

I have very much come to appreciate reading books digital books on a tablet. That is because I developed some vision issues a couple of years ago. It is very easy to change the size of the text and the lighting too.

Dingfelder said:
Plus don't forget that there are multiple organizations putting out free books available through Amazon and elsewhere, in the tens of thousands.  Pretty much all the old classics are available for free, and the same thing is going on with audiobooks -- all of which can be read/played on the kindle fire, and the books can be read on any kindle or other e-reader.
As mentioned previously, I have a lot of hardcopy and paperback books, but I would like to get into audiobooks to listen to when driving on trips. Mostly interested in old classics and other fiction, which I never get to when at home due to other projects. I do have a bunch of ePub books previously downloaded, but you have to "read" them. 

I use Android tablets and could attach an amplified speaker:
    USB power --> Android Tablet --> audio out --> amplified_speaker

So, can anybody point out a good app for Android to read books audibly, and also a specific source for hopefully free audiobooks of the sort I mentioned? Are there Android apps that can take a regular e-book or text-file and translate the text into decent audio recitation?

I have a library card and regularly download audiobooks to listen to. Not only driving but sometimes in camp too. A bluetooth speaker hooked to your phone should work well. My dash radio has a USB input that plays MP3 (I convert the library audiobooks to MP3). I also have a $30 chinese 12V DC radio that has bluetooth, USB, SD card along with a FM radio. This is what I listen to in camp. It is hardwired into my house batteries so no worry running the chassis battery down.

I have tried to listen to the computer voice read an ebook. Couldn't stand to listen to it. YMMV

For on topic, I am listening to the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child and read By Dick Hill. There are over 20 books in the series.

There are a number of versions of audible book players out there.

An example that has worked for me is Overdrive, and it can be accessed with the Library2go system:

https://help.overdrive.com/

https://library2go.overdrive.com/

That works with my county, and varies from place to place. You'll have to check out if it works for you. Some university libraries are huge, some very cheap, some expensive ... some will only lend to people in-state and some don't care as long as you pony up a fee.

I agree with Brian, above ... the computerized voices really don't do it for me. I'd get stuff done in audio format in the first place, then put it on an MP3 player or your phone/tablet. Just download over the internet from your library. Ours lets you have an audio book for a week at a time, last I tried, but you can keep renewing if no one is after the same book.

Thanks guys, I'm sure a nice harmonic human voice reading out text is vastly superior to any computerized one. I looked at the Overdrive site, looks fairly straightforward, although there are a zillion pages on getting setup. Always yet another learning curve.

I would definitely want to be able to store audiobooks on SD card to listen using my Android tablet during travel/driving. I don't even have a smart phone, rather prefer to stay offline when traveling, except for checking email every few days, so definitely need the storage capability.

A lot of things to check out. Clicking on "best places to find free audiobooks online" and "best free audiobook app" on this page does show Overdrive.
- https://www.google.com/search?q=free+audio+books+for+android

I also remember from days past that Project Gutenberg has many old **classics** online, and looks like many are converted to audiobooks now, including MP3 and several other formats. These are Top 100 ebooks, many formats:
- https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/scores/top
- https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1661 (Sherlock Holmes)
- https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/t#a53 (Mark Twain)

These are audiobooks, eg Oscar Wilde and Mark Twain:
- https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/categories/1
https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/w#a111 (Wilde)
- https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/t#a53 (Twain)

I d/l'ed an MP3 file and ran it on my Win10 notebook. Should be able to run it on Android, via transfer to SD card. So that route is pretty painless.

I went digital several years ago. Between my books and those my wife owns, we have more physical books than we have room to keep them. We have a room full of boxed books that never see the light of day. We stored some in the garage, and some in a camper. Both sets of books stored outside the actual living space were used by rats as chew-toys at some point, destroying dozens of books.

On the other hand, over the last 3 to 5 years, I've amassed a collection of several thousand ebooks. I can read them whenever I want, on any electronic device I like. I can find them via any browser on a computer, anywhere that's connected to the Internet, or on an tablet or phone, or a Kindle device. I can go on vacation carrying every book I'm thinking about reading with me at all times.

I can have, for example, a tour guide, a language translation book, a local history book, and several (or a dozen) fiction novels at hand at any time. Not only that, but there are four of us in my immediate family, and we share an interest in reading. My wife can buy a book and we can ALL be reading it at the same time. My son, off in college, can buy a book and call me and say, "Dad, you should read this," and I can simply download it and begin reading. No need to buy a second copy, so that we can each read the book in separate cities.

If I lose a "book" (the device), I can by a replacement and my entire library is still intact. I don't have to worry about water damage, fire damage, or leaving my book on a park bench somewhere in Boston. If I do, I can simply get another device and my entire library is still intact. I did break a Kindle device once - didn't lose a single book.

You can take a cell phone that is not connected to a cell phone account and use it to connect to a public wifi  to download books to it. No need to toss out an old phone because as long as it still charges and connects to a public wifi as it makes a very handy device for audio book listening or for listening to music.  I don't like to read books on a cell phone as for me the text is too difficult to see.

I also do that with some older tablets I have. One is not cellular capable, the other one used to be the one I had on my cell account but when I got a free upgrade I just hung onto it to use on public wifi or I can connect it to my phone and download books onto it using my phone as a hot spot. Those two are my backup tablets in case something happens to my newest tablet.

I do have a kindle paperwhite that I use when I want to be spending a lot of time outside in my chair reading. Mostly gets used in hot weather or when I don't have a lot of options for charging. It uses less power than my tablet or phone.

I can store ebooks that I own on a thumb drive and plug that into my tablet or phone using and OTC cable. Or of course I can store a lot of ebooks that I own on my laptop and transfer them to my reading device. My laptop is too power hungry to read on if I am not connected to shore power.

Kindle. Not the app but the actual device. Holds thousands of books or I have the $9.99 monthly unlimited books (doesn’t allow you to read every book though if it’s a new bestseller you have to buy it)

The charge lasts far far longer than my iPhone, iPad and hp laptop. It’s easiest on the eyes of all my devices and you can change the font size. You download ten books at a time if you purchase kindle unlimited and don’t need to be online to read them which is really good for limited Internet. As you return books you can read new ones.
In fact I’ve downloaded books using free WiFi at the supermarket then read them offline. So great for traveling or boondocking.