Entertainment, specifically books

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Books are meant to be read, not to be decorations.

I had a huge collection of physical books prior to my retirement and have since gotten rid of most of them. I joined the web www.bookbub.com and get daily deals that I can download onto my iPad (or kindle). Many of the books are free and the others usually cost less than $2.00.

Since they are all on my iPad, they don’t take up any storage. I reasoned that if I hadn’t read the book in the past three years, or if I hadn’t researched anything from the book, then I really didn’t need the physical book.

I now have a collection of over 400 books on my iPad. The following are just a few that I haven’t read yet.

FDC9C53A-2F72-440C-8A66-DED5F42EB504.png

Actually, I misspoke. The real number is four:
Walden and Civil Disobedience (Thoreau). I've had these two books for over 50 years.
Dante's Divine Comedy (translation by Ciardi) has been on my "shelf" for about 35 years.
The Rubyiat (translation by Fitzgerald) has been a proud possession for over 40 years. This is a great read to keep things in perspective. A source of several phrases we use every day. My favorite quote:
And much as Wine has play'd the Infidel,
And robb'd me of my Robe of Honour — well,
I often wonder what the Vintners buy
One half so precious as the Goods they sell
Good stuff! I have read Thoreau and Dante's comedy. Have not heard of The Rubyiat will be looking into that soon Thanks!

Actually, I misspoke. The real number is four:
Walden and Civil Disobedience (Thoreau). I've had these two books for over 50 years.
Dante's Divine Comedy (translation by Ciardi) has been on my "shelf" for about 35 years.
The Rubyiat (translation by Fitzgerald) has been a proud possession for over 40 years. This is a great read to keep things in perspective. A source of several phrases we use every day. My favorite quote:
And much as Wine has play'd the Infidel,
And robb'd me of my Robe of Honour — well,
I often wonder what the Vintners buy
One half so precious as the Goods they sell
Right in between my Plato and Mark Twain (y)

KIMG0683.JPG

Cheers!

Good stuff! I have read Thoreau and Dante's comedy. Have not heard of The Rubyiat will be looking into that soon Thanks!
Another favorite quote from the Rubyiat reminds me to live for today... Once it's done, it's done. No retries.
"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit,
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it."

I grieve for my lost books and the unconceived grandchildren I will never read them to. I don't think there is any way out of it other than through it.

This is coming from someone who currently has two 10'x10' storage units full of books paid up until April.

Used to have a Kindle. Used to have an iPad. Used to be into all of that stuff.

Now I use the Z library or just buy all y'all's old books dirt cheap on eBay and pop them into the nearest Little Free Library when I finish them instead.

I'm hoping to put the right book into the right hands at the right time as much as possible and cut back to a single 5' x 10' unit with my literary remains shelved, nonfiction Dewey decimaled and fiction alphabetized, etc.

I also use a Pinephone and/or a librebooted Lenovo X60 to read my ebooks, so YMMV.

I'd better watch my mouth with controversial subjects, lol.

I have a few plastic totes full of books in my storage locker, and one more in the van, filled with books related to a music/poetry project (see Below) I'm working on; my van living space is literally littered, too. In addition to these physical books, I have a growing digital collection of poetry in the public domain, downloaded from The Gutenberg Project or similar sources.

Below: I'm compiling an index of musicians and poets whose works are now in the public domain. Using this list, I find and copy source material from which I might create new combinations--mashups, if you like. For example, I mashed "The Female Of The Species" by Rudyard Kipling, with a 19th Century Newfoundland shipwreck ballad called "The Water Witch".

Below: I'm compiling an index of musicians and poets whose works are now in the public domain. Using this list, I find and copy source material from which I might create new combinations--mashups, if you like. For example, I mashed "The Female Of The Species" by Rudyard Kipling, with a 19th Century Newfoundland shipwreck ballad called "The Water Witch".
Now that sounds like an interesting project!

The "Good Life lab" for a good read:

Firstly, I don't keep any books anymore because they are bulky, and bound to rot. I keep few except for a few out of print, and rare/valuable books. I keep them securely sealed in a Tupperware tub with a silicone pack to avoid rotting. I also keep a few edible and medicinal plant books handy just in case.

I get most of my reading material on Kindle. You can likewise read/download most things written from Google books. Also, Scribd and other subscription sites may have thesis and informational and valuable stuff.

"Good Life labs" is one of the most encouraging and valuable short "books" I have found on the subject of packing it in, and scavenging/surviving on the road. Also good for "intentional communities".(it's really spiral bound in real life for easy propping up, and copying the recipes, and diagrams).

Here are some of the titles of the Chapters ( you maybe able to relate)...

The Good Life Lab: Radical Experiments in Hands-On Living​

https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?as...e=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_G0YBWBRE9PPMGAM9N4Q4

Tired of the high-pressure life they lead in New York City, Wendy Jehanara Tremayne and her husband migrate to Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, where they build, invent, forage, and grow all they need for themselves. Full of quirky stories and imaginative illustrations, this inspiring memoir chronicles the off-the-grid adventures of the Tremaynes. Touchingly personal while also providing practical tutorials on making your own biofuel, building an efficient house, and gardening sustainably, The Good Life Lab will encourage you to chase your dreams of self-sufficiency.

Contents

Part One: Life Imagined

Life in the Waste Stream -
“ I peed in a large green cat-litter container…”

Jump and the Net will Appear

Broken Heart Seeks Giant Band-Aid

To Live a Decommodified Life

Everything is a Tool to Change the World

Commodified People

Swap-o-Rama Rama

Nature is the Truest Book

Ladybugs in NYC

What is the cost of a J. O. B.?

The Sky is the Ocean

Makers of Shelter

Building in Truth or Consequences

Free Fuel -
Her husband recycles standard lead car batteries;
I think they discuss making biofuel here...

Things of Value

The Notorious Goblins

The Cost of Living

Take Time

Getting Better All the Time

Nature Unlocked

The Digital Homestead - probably more relevant in 2022 than when this was written in 2013

The Least Useful Most Fun Thing

A Cottage Industry

Wisdom

Mad Skilz

Kitchen Magick

Power, Electronics, Technology

Cars and Fuel

(Gimme’) Shelter

Holy Scrap

Epilogue: make Mistakes,

Or as the Whole Earth Catalogue used to say on it’s back cover,
”Stay young, Stay Foolish”

Hope this helps someone
~KK

Entertainment, specifically Books

Last edited:
The "Good Life lab" for a good read:

Firstly, I don't keep any books anymore because they are bulky, and bound to rot. I keep few except for a few out of print, and rare/valuable books. I keep them securely sealed in a Tupperware tub with a silicone pack to avoid rotting. I also keep a few edible and medicinal plant books handy just in case.

I get most of my reading material on Kindle. You can likewise read/download most things written from Google books. Also, Scribd and other subscription sites may have thesis and informational and valuable stuff.

"Good Life labs" is one of the most encouraging and valuable short "books" I have found on the subject of packing it in, and scavenging/surviving on the road. Also good for "intentional communities".(it's really spiral bound in real life for easy propping up, and copying the recipes, and diagrams).

Here are some of the titles of the Chapters ( you maybe able to relate)...

The Good Life Lab: Radical Experiments in Hands-On Living​

https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?as...e=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_G0YBWBRE9PPMGAM9N4Q4

Tired of the high-pressure life they lead in New York City, Wendy Jehanara Tremayne and her husband migrate to Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, where they build, invent, forage, and grow all they need for themselves. Full of quirky stories and imaginative illustrations, this inspiring memoir chronicles the off-the-grid adventures of the Tremaynes. Touchingly personal while also providing practical tutorials on making your own biofuel, building an efficient house, and gardening sustainably, The Good Life Lab will encourage you to chase your dreams of self-sufficiency.

Contents

Part One: Life Imagined

Life in the Waste Stream -
“ I peed in a large green cat-litter container…”

Jump and the Net will Appear

Broken Heart Seeks Giant Band-Aid

To Live a Decommodified Life

Everything is a Tool to Change the World

Commodified People

Swap-o-Rama Rama

Nature is the Truest Book

Ladybugs in NYC

What is the cost of a J. O. B.?

The Sky is the Ocean

Makers of Shelter

Building in Truth or Consequences

Free Fuel -
Her husband recycles standard lead car batteries;
I think they discuss making biofuel here...

Things of Value

The Notorious Goblins

The Cost of Living

Take Time

Getting Better All the Time

Nature Unlocked

The Digital Homestead - probably more relevant in 2022 than when this was written in 2013

The Least Useful Most Fun Thing

A Cottage Industry

Wisdom

Mad Skilz

Kitchen Magick

Power, Electronics, Technology

Cars and Fuel

(Gimme’) Shelter

Holy Scrap

Epilogue: make Mistakes,

Or as the Whole Earth Catalogue used to say on it’s back cover,
”Stay young, Stay Foolish”

Hope this helps someone
~KK

Entertainment, specifically Books
I really love my books and will not part with them. So thanks for the tips on storing them for when I bring them on the road. I also have over 80 kindle books and 100’s of pdfs. Also, love to write and have a lot of journals. I started using Evernote to keep my journals in, but I still have A lot of hand written ones. So not sure how I will manage bringing this all with me. I should have fax scanner app’d all of the pages by now. But it would be a lot of work! Any suggestions?

I really love my books and will not part with them. So thanks for the tips on storing them for when I bring them on the road. I also have over 80 kindle books and 100’s of pdfs. Also, love to write and have a lot of journals. I started using Evernote to keep my journals in, but I still have A lot of hand written ones. So not sure how I will manage bringing this all with me. I should have fax scanner app’d all of the pages by now. But it would be a lot of work! Any suggestions?
Well, all I can think is photographing on your phone then uploading to Evernote…???