Quieting On-Board Generators

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhurtt

Reaction score
I have a Thor motorhome with an on-board, propane-powered Onan generator and I was looking for tips on how to quiet the noise and vibration of it. Are their mufflers available (DIY or after-market)? Are there shock pads or some such to reduce feeling the vibration when inside the coach?

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated by me and by those stuck within hearing distance of me.

dhurtt said:
I have a Thor motorhome with an on-board, propane-powered Onan generator and I was looking for tips on how to quiet the noise and vibration of it. Are their mufflers available (DIY or after-market)? Are there shock pads or some such to reduce feeling the vibration when inside the coach?

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated by me and by those stuck within hearing distance of me.
I also have the propane Onan, 5500w. When I first got it I was dismayed by the noise and vibration. All RV gennies are required to have spark arrester mufflers, so it's not that it doesn't have a muffler...anyway, after putting 20+ hours on it, it quieted down considerably, to the point where I can sit right next to it and carry on a normal conversation. Apparently they need a break-in period. How many hours have you got on yours?

The Dire Wolfess

Moxadox said:
I also have the propane Onan, 5500w.  When I first got it I was dismayed by the noise and vibration.  All RV gennies are required to have spark arrester mufflers, so it's not that it doesn't have a muffler...anyway, after putting 20+ hours on it, it quieted down considerably, to the point where I can sit right next to it and carry on a normal conversation.  Apparently they need a break-in period.  How many hours have you got on yours?

The Dire Wolfess

Good question. I will have to look in my manual to see where the indicator is. The RV is in the shop at the moment. Given that the unit is a 2014 and had about 24,000 miles on it before I bought it, I would have thought that it had already been broken in, but as I think about it, I have probably not run it much myself in the year I have had it. I did not run it even once during the last trip (3,500 miles). I only just read that I need to exercise it more every month than I have been. Thanks.