Honda EU2000 generator ideal usage scenario

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf2koc

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Honda EU2000 generator to reduce my minivan's engine & alternator wear and tear. I'm using a lot of electricity per day and I don't know how much longer can my minivan last if it's constantly idling for 6-8 hours/day to charge the two 170 Ah batts. My four 120W semi flexible panels help to charge the remaining 20%, but it is still too slow at times. The EU1000 weighs about 47 lbs! It's not quiet (about 70 dB). Obviously can't use this in a stealth situation. Somewhere remote and away from people. It has limited use. But useful to save the van's engine.

Looks like I have to put it within 50 ft from the van. How can I lock it as it's generating power when I'm inside the van? I'm thinking of parking the minivan next to a freeway with plenty of cars driving by. So it won't be a big noise distraction in city scenario.

Any tips to use the generator w/ out attracting attention from others and most importantly, avoid being stolen in broad day light?

480 watts of solar power and you have electricity problems?

I think you might have a usage problem. I have 205 watts and charge up with solar alone in 2-4 hours each day. I have a Honda EU1000 generator, but I've not had to use it yet. Perhaps on those lingering storms in Q?

Curious to know what your big electric draws are.

yeah, something is not right here. you say 480 watts of solar plus running your engine 6-8 hours is not keeping up. what are you running? highdesertranger

The four 120W panels are actually only 2.5 in terms of true power output. When I permanently mount the two 120W on top of the minivan, it's no where as effective as manually positioning the remains two panel to the sun. During peak sunny days (getting about 10-14A), it helps to keep the Koolatron and Dometic. There are many days where I have to be out in the wilderness for scientific research, documentary filming and can't really leave the solar panels exposed. So that further reduces But on snowy and cloudy days (in WY&MT), I'm not getting the full output from the PV panels. I want to reduce wear and tear of idling the car. When I charge the 170 Ah AGM batts and running the laptops simultaneously all via PSW inverters, the minivan doesn't like it idling. It makes lots of fan noise. Driving it around helps but why do it when you don't need to (fatigue, wear and tear on other parts of the car)? And most importantly fully charge the AGM batts to 100% as recommended by the batt manual. So far it's only getting about 80-85% max charging. If this keeps up, the life cycle of those AGM batts will be reduced. I figure paying $800 upfront for the Honda EU2000 will reduce the engine rebuild, alternator and other related component bills several years down the road.

Practically I'm taking my office with me. I'm running two Mac Book Pros, 2 Mac Minis. 4 ext USB3 & Thunderbolt hdds, laptop coolers (x2), 30W AC fan to keep the laptop and connected accessories cool. Couple of radio equipment for tracking wildlife, interior LED lights to prevent eyestrain, LCD tv, media player, electric blanket. 210 W Anton Bauer pro video battery chargers constantly charging depleted batteries, Two Noco Genius G7200 (150wX2), Genius G26000 chargers (500Wx2) On certain days I do lots of intensive graphics and video processing. Has to let at least 2 of the 4 Mac computers run for 8-16 hours uninterrupted to finish its assigned tasks. File transfer, rendering, image processing, codec conversion etc.. It's maxing out to 130W vs the typical 80W when using the laptops for web surfing. Koolatron (55W/4.5A) to store less critical food, Dometic CDF-11 (35W) for must be at 40 F food, Lasko 200W AC heater for nights when the int temp is only 60 F.

What I'm planning to do is get 1 or two more 170 Ah AGM batts, more transfer switches and another Morning Star SunSaver duo to charge additional battery banks. This way I can fully recharge each batt fully up to 100% while the other is being utilized. It's like a 1-2 days rotation of usage. It's not cheap but so is the cost of replacing the batt if it's not fully recharged to 100%.

highdesertranger said:
yeah, something is not right here. you say 480 watts of solar plus running your engine 6-8 hours is not keeping up. what are you running? highdesertranger

well that kooltron is sucking up 100ah a day. running an electric heater off batteries won't work unless you get a lot more solar and battery capacity. wait a sec is that right a 200w heater? highdesertranger

The Lasko 200W 120V ~2A heater is used during night sleeping and certain cold morning. Another 170 Ah AGM batt dedicated just for this is ideal. But it's not cheap in terms of cost and space needed to stack another big AGM batt in the crowded minivan. I usually use Mr Heater and propane anytime the interior van temp is 55 F and cooler. But never leave Mr Heater MH9BX on all night during sleeping. I feel much safer with the Lasko 200W for sleeping because it's running through an inverter with 5 levels of protection and will shut off automatically if it's out of power.

highdesertranger said:
well that kooltron is sucking up 100ah a day. running an electric heater off batteries won't work unless you get a lot more solar and battery capacity. wait a sec is that right a 200w heater? highdesertranger

Copied from something else I was reading"

"My application consumes way more power than you can get off an idling engine so one must run high idle switch and add a second alternator to make it work.

Im familiar with engine driven alternator/generators as Ive built a few eng news vans using the MEPS alternator gensets. We had several problem with them one being ambient heat removal in the summer parking on 130 degree asphalt.

Id rather put my 1000 hours a year of runtime on an easily rebuildable cheap running genset than the engine of my van. Water cooled diesel gensets are good for an easy 10K hours some Ive seen at 20.

The combination of high idle and the hours equate to about 50-60K miles a year worth of rotational cycles on the engine per year- and in 5 years time all the rotational wear takes it tolls. "

I think you need a generator...maybe a hitch tote mount would works for you? http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Curt/C18153.html

lonewolf2koc said:
The EU2000 weighs about 47 lbs! It's not quiet (about 70 dB). 

It is quieter than that.

• 2000 watts of Honda inverter 120 VAC power
  • Reliable Honda GX100T OHC four-stroke engine
  • Whisper-quiet operation — 59 dB(A) at rated load, 53 dB(A) at 25% load

What type of AGM batteries?

Some of them like Lifeline, Northstar, and Odyssey can accept huge recharging currents, and a hour's worth of generator runtime can accomplish a lot, when a powerful DC charging source is powered by the generator.

Some other lesser$$ AGMS are limited to 30 Amp per 100AH of capacity, but with 3 of them that is still 90 amps, which definitely falls into the high amp charger category.

So  If a 2000 Watt honda is on the charts, then a charging source which can max out the Honda is the key to not having to run it longer than necessary.

Look into the adjustable voltage units by POwermax converters.  They are Powerfactor corrected, meaning they are more efficient.  I believe a 2000 watt honda can power a Powermax 100 amp charger, and since one can adjust the voltage, these adjustable converters will not drop voltage and thus charging amps prematurely as most every other automatic charging source WILL do.  Very important when trying to maximize charging while running a generator.

Here is a Link to a 75 amp adjustable units, but I recommend e-mailing/calling Errin at POwermax directly and purchasing through him.  They do make them upto 120 amps in the adjustable voltage format despite neither site showing such a product.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondo...ower-ConverterCharger_p_587.html#.VlJXZ9KrTUI

http://powermaxconverters.com/contact/

AGM batteries enjoy high recharging currents, upto their maximum stated limits, if they have any.

It still takes a long time to take them from 80% to 100%, but you can safely and quickly get them to 80% by approaching their amperage limits at the correct absorption voltage, then letting your solar take over.

I'm using a budget VMax Tanks 175 Ah AGM batt. Max charging is 40A. If I have two 175 Ah batts wired in parallel, can I charge it at 75 A (using the PowerMax Pm3-75@$150) while it's in parallel connection?

The PowerMax chargers looks pretty plain. It's almost like a computer power supply. The price is pretty decent (within $150 for a 75 A). I don't see any fancy status LED at all. Does this mean I have to use a volt meter to check the charge status?

I also have two older 55 Ah wired parallel. The max current is 15A per battery. I only have two 7.2A chargers and they're charging each individually.

SternWake said:
What type of AGM batteries?

Some of them like Lifeline, Northstar, and Odyssey can accept huge recharging currents, and a hour's worth of generator runtime can accomplish a lot, when a powerful DC charging source is powered by the generator.

Some other lesser$$ AGMS are limited to 30 Amp per 100AH of capacity, but with 3 of them that is still 90 amps, which definitely falls into the high amp charger category.

So  If a 2000 Watt honda is on the charts, then a charging source which can max out the Honda is the key to not having to run it longer than necessary.

Look into the adjustable voltage units by POwermax converters.  They are Powerfactor corrected, meaning they are more efficient.  I believe a 2000 watt honda can power a Powermax 100 amp charger, and since one can adjust the voltage, these adjustable converters will not drop voltage and thus charging amps prematurely as most every other automatic charging source WILL do.  Very important when trying to maximize charging while running a generator.

Here is a Link to a 75 amp adjustable units, but I recommend e-mailing/calling Errin at POwermax directly and purchasing through him.  They do make them upto 120 amps in the adjustable voltage format despite neither site showing such a product.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondo...ower-ConverterCharger_p_587.html#.VlJXZ9KrTUI

http://powermaxconverters.com/contact/

AGM batteries enjoy high recharging currents, upto their maximum stated limits, if they have any.

It still takes a long time to take them from 80% to 100%, but you can safely and quickly get them to 80% by approaching their amperage limits at the correct absorption voltage, then letting your solar take over.

you didn't address that kooltron. my guess that is your big user, get rid of that and you might be ok. another compressor refer is cheaper than a Honda generator. highdesertranger

I use the Koolatron to store produce and perishable foods. During winter and in colder northern states (WA, MT, WY), I can turn it off more and let the cold ambient temp keep the produce cool. But when I use Mr Heater MH9BX in the van and the int temp rises to 70 F, that's where I tend to turn it on to be safe. Overall I think if I get another one to two 170 Ah AGM batts, I will have just enough.

highdesertranger said:
you didn't address that kooltron. my guess that is your big user, get rid of that and you might be ok. another compressor refer is cheaper than a Honda generator. highdesertranger