Quietest Generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to the RV.net site and search Champion generators, especially the 3100i. You will find plenty of happy users including one by the handle of Mr Wizard that uses his daily because his 500w solar can not keep up with his residential side by side fridge/freezer. You will also find a sticky thread on how to clean or replace the Carbs on the Hondas because they gum up so easy.

All I am saying is please do not bash a product that you do not have any knowledge of. I don't comment on many things because I have no personal experience and if I do have to answer a question by regurgitating what I have read on the net, at least I can show you where I got that info. What I can tell you is that after working for the rich for 30 years that most of them had no idea how to meet their needs. All they knew was if it was a big name and the most expensive that it must be what they needed. We called them brand babies and they were wrong so often it was funny.

Hugemoth, could you tell us what simple maintenance we can do to get those HF and WEN units keep going?

I did not see anyone bashing Champion, maybe I missed it or it got edited.

I actually gave them a plug myself.

Okay, back one topic ... The answer to the question is an inverter generator.
As far as which one, that depends on budget really. Assume more money spent is better though.
Beyond that, boxes built for generators can: lower noise, redirect noise, and change tone.
If asking for parking lot stealth then the only generator that works is solar, haha.
If asking because you want to be in nature without a constant "BRRRRR!", inverter generator.
If asking because zombies apparently have good hearing ... Flee into the mountains.

I think this was said before. It isn't just that one is a bit more loud than another. The quietest are still a steady drone that gets to be ""++** after a few minutes.

The sportsman I have now is the worst generator I've ever owned. the air filter housing cracked, the pull cord has been replaced, the choke is funky, and you have to stay on top of the governor screw to get the voltage right under load. It's 6 years old with about a measly 20-30hrs on it.

The best I ever owned was a champion 4kw. I used it from friday night to sunday night twice a month coaching trackdays running my tire warmers during the day and my fans at night. I had it from 2003 to 2013. It had at least 3k hours when I sold it to a friend who mounted it on his enclosed trailer tongue and still uses it a dozen times a year for the same purpose.

where in the hell the notion generators are short-lived devices comes from I have no idea. I've seen lemons and I've seen neglect, sure. but never have I doubted or expected less than 10+ years out of one.

jimindenver said:
Go to the RV.net site and search Champion generators, especially the 3100i. You will find plenty of happy users including one by the handle of Mr Wizard that uses his daily because his 500w solar can not keep up with his residential side by side fridge/freezer. You will also find a sticky thread on how to clean or replace the Carbs on the Hondas because they gum up so easy.

All I am saying is please do not bash a product that you do not have any knowledge of. I don't comment on many things because I have no personal experience and if I do have to answer a question by regurgitating what I have read on the net, at least I can show you where I got that info. What I can tell you is that after working for the rich for 30 years that most of them had no idea how to meet their needs. All they knew was if it was a big name and the most expensive that it must be what they needed. We called them brand babies and they were wrong so often it was funny.

Gee whiz Jim. Hope you aren't talking about me! I wasn't regurgitating anything read on the web. I didn't go to RV.net and regurgitate anything that was said there at all by mr Wizard or anyone else I have no knowledge of.

I just told what was said by the very people selling the Champion generators and what I saw with my own eyes which was a very disgruntled customer. I think I'd take the word of the salesmen that have to deal with customers returning them before I'd take the word of Mr Wizard who I've only heard of from the Internet today.

I'm glad Mr Wizard has had good luck with his Champion. I can certainly say where I heard and saw, in person, all this take place that I said. I said it was at a Camping World but I guess I should have been more specific so it was in Columbia, MO.

I am also a member of this forum and feel I would be neglect to not mentioning what, in person, I saw and not what I was regurgitating from the web anywhere.

I have no reason to believe that the salesman/servicemen talking amongst themselves about a product they were experiencing problems about, would lie and I certainly would never lie about what I saw and heard either.

Unless you want to run them all at once even the smallest inverter generator will cover those.
Heck, you could spend the same on solar and power those without the paying for gas.

Yes used in moderation those are a small load

The price of the genny will cover panel + controller and batteries, never buy gas and quiet as can be, that is, silent.

the problem have with Chinese knockoffs is these companies have no problem stealing patents, copyrights and proprietary info. I am surely not going to reward them by buying their products. as far as how reliable they are remember a broken clock is right twice a day. highdesertranger

Gideon33w said:
Unless you want to run them all at once even the smallest inverter generator will cover those. {re: microwave}

My experience is different.

The smallest inverter generator I have is an 800 watt and neither it nor the 1000 watt will power a 700 watt microwave, since they draw around 1200 or so from the wall.

The 1000 watt inverter generator WILL run a 5000 btu window A/C unit.

I think a 1500 watt or larger inverter generator will be needed for most common microwave ovens.

Two of the most important things that the extra money for a Honda or Yamaha buys you are 1) quality control, and 2) dealer network and support. You buy a Honda or Yamaha, and it's going to run right and if you get one of the very, very few that don't, you're going to get it made right. There's no question in my mind that's worth an extra $300.

That can't be said of any of the cheap clones, the cheaper it is the less likely you'll ever get it made right and the more likely you'll get a lemon.

That's why you hear people swear by Campion and curse Champion. They are both telling the truth, it can be a great product, and a terrible product. Which one will you get? Who'll fix it if you get a lemon?

I have a small Dometic RV microwave in my Aliner. My 1,200watt/1,500 watt Triron (chinese clone) generator will run my AC just fine but not the microwave. For that I would need something like the Honda EU2000 (a 1,600watt/2,000 watt genny) to handle the start-up.

If you can afford a Mercedes Benz, buy one, as they will outlast almost every other car. I can't afford one, so I bought a Chevy instead and maintain it religiously. I put 385,000 miles on the engine before it finally died. Guess what? I put another engine in it and it's still on the road. A large component of how long a piece of equipment lasts is how well you take care of it.

Chip

I've seen some dual fuel generators coming out. Does running on propane make fuel systems easier to maintain and does it make less noise / power because of the fuel's burn rate? Anyone out there using one and would you comment on them?

sometimesido said:
Hugemoth, could you tell us what simple maintenance we can do to get those HF and WEN units keep going?

Just maintain as recommended in the owners manual. Change oil as required in the 4 stroke units, the 2 strokers need an occasional decoke (cleaning the carbon out of the exhaust port and cylinder head).

If Honda and the Chinese both made consumer airplanes, which one would you fly in?

My 20 year old Honda still runs like a top.

Buy a Honda; you’ll never regret it. Don’t be fooled.

Just my opinion . . .