Quietest Generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dual fuel is ideal, and conversion kits are available.

Do the breaking in period on petrol, from then on stick to gas (lpg/propane).

No worries about fuel going stale if you use only occasionally. Longer runtimes, just go to a larger tank (under chassis) if you run it a lot. Same best fuel source for cooking, winter heating.

And biggest advantage is the engine will go double / triple the hours between rebuilds, although it has been pointed out few of us use a genny that many hours per year, lpg may allow you to pass it on to the grandkids :cool:

For preppers out there, the petrol will be in short supply much more quickly, and a big buried tank of lpg will still be good for many years unlike petrol.

All this applies to your vehicle as well of course.

since propane has less energy you're burning about 30% more so expect to run through a 20lb tank in under 30hrs. And if you're cooking and heating (at night only) from the tank you will go about 2 days.

so factor in all the extra gas you spend running around for a fill station....hope you find a place open on a cold sunday.

Less of a problem if you carry a 70 gallon tank, or only run the genny average an hour per day.

But yes, energy density is factor to take into account.

I currently own FIVE portable generators...yes, I said FIVE.

Some of these generators date back almost 20 years.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd just buy one smaller Yamaha and one good-sized Yamaha or Honda and be done with it.

John61CT said:
Less of a problem if you carry a 70 gallon tank, or only run the genny average an hour per day.

I haven't met you John but now I know...if you can carry a full 70 gallon propane tank, you probably have a future in body building!

:p

Yes not for a minivan :cool:

But fits nicely right between the axle-less suspension on a trailer frame I'm considering for a standy build.

Or a decent truck, poor man's expedition project in the wings.

Got the tank itself for $600 "new other" on eBay

That's 300 pounds of propane and the tank itself.

So probably 5 to 10 years of propane for the average boondocker following decent weather.

Imagine the gasoline burned to haul that much weight for that amount of time!

Ouch!

Yes, would be very silly if you didn't actually need it.