Quick Charge House Battery E car charger

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groovy2

Reaction score
Right now Im installing 2 Tesla model S battery packs in my van 
the Tesla battery packs are 5KW each so I have 10KW @ 24 volts -

Im setting up the batteries so they can be charged at E car Quick Charging stations -
will take 2 to 3 hours to charge depending on how full they are -

batteries will run a Mini Split Air conditioner 10 to 15 hours 
(batteries could also power a regular window unit )

Having a Larger battery that can be Quick charged makes it
possible to stealth camp in cities in comfort and and basically
use electricity like I am connected to the Grid -- Nice

larger cities are installing E car quick chargers Fast
In Austin there is over 350 public quick charging stations -
lots of stores and businesses have installed charging stations
(every walmart has several charger stations)

for Campers having 10 to 15 hours of AC will make traveling life
much more comfortable and fun -

battery will Also be charged with solar and with van alternator -

I will start a thread about battery system  in a week or so - Jay

What do the E charging stations cost for topping off your batteries ? My brother has a Nissan Leaf, but I haven't asked him about that yet.

I don't know the laws in Texas but I do know in many states it's illegal to park a non-electric vehicle in the charging stations. this has been brought up here many times but I will bring it up again, using the electricity for uses other than what it is intended is theft and broadcasting it on the internet doesn't help your cause. highdesertranger

LOL

what I am doing is Not Illegal at all -
what I am doing is Encouraged where I live -

being a moderator You should be more careful in accusing a person of theft -

boy o boy what a day.

first off I said I didn't know the law in Texas.  if who ever is paying the bill on the electricity wants to pay for you Air Conditioning good for you.  I ran down to the local charging station and snapped a few pics,

001.JPG

006.JPG

as everyone can clearly see you are only allowed to park Electric Vehicles(EV) in the charge stations.  there were no police around so I ask parking security what they do if a non-electric vehicle is parked there.  he said they treat it just like a handicap violation and call the police.  the violator is given a ticket.  as far as he knows it's only happened one time.  I asked him about charging other batteries there,  he looked at me puzzled and said he had no idea but then threw in how would they do that without parking in the spot?

so I went a step  more and shot an email off to the charging station company and asked for clarification as to charging house batteries on a non-EV vehicle.  when I hear back from them I will post there reply here.

I would like to point out that in California EV are easy to spot because they have a "zero emission" decal on them.

highdesertranger

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 9
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 23
I hope your 'what I am doing is Not Illegal at all' and 'what I am doing is Encouraged' opinion is from a lawyer in writing and not some government employee opinion.  Theft of service is a serious charge.

who ever is paying for the electricity is ME -

Charging station Owners are Happy to sell electricity to who ever wants to pay for it -ME

How about you keep your Opinions on what is legal about what I am doing to out
of my posts - you have no real knowledge on this subject - ie security guard

you already slandered me in a earlier post - you accused me of theft of services -
I have documented this - so just stop -

ckelly78z

cost of electricity varies with type of charger - location and company supplying power -

Faster chargers cost more to use
some companies charger by the minute you are attached to the charger
other companies charger by the KW used -

fast chargers (Chadmo - Level 3 and maybe Tesla ) usually charge by the minute-
prices I have seen range from 12 cents to 25 cents per minute -
these quick charger supply High amp (400 up) DC current and have a large
box to hold the needed charging equipment -

Level 2 chargers supply 220 volt AC power to the vehicle and is then converted
to DC current by onboard chargering system -
Level 2 chargers supply 30 amps at 220v AC -
cost is around 12 to 18 cents per KW but can very some -

I have talked to several owners of Chevy Bolt cars at Level 3 charging stations
and it costs them around $12 to charge up a very drained battery in 45 minutes to full-

Here in austin the electric company charges $4 a month for unlimited use -
a very good deal -

Austin has always been a city ahead of the curve -
Im a member of Green Choice (25 yrs) and we purchased Wind Turbines
with the extra money we paid on electric bill monthly-
Now Austin has a Huge wind farm that supplies Austin with clean electric -

Curious...since the car uses a liquid cooling system to maintain proper battery temps, will your setup utilize any type of cooling system?
I realize you are just using a portion of the cars total capacity, and your loads probably won't approach that of the car's motors...but 18650 form factor cells are not really known for running 'cool'.
Perhaps at the size you're using, a well ventilated 'battery box' with good air flow will be adequate for keeping your packs cool enough?

now why didn't you say that in the first place. I said I didn't know about Texas. around here all the charging stations are free to EV's so far as I can find only EV's are allowed to use them, there isn't even a way to pay. I didn't accuse you of anything I said, "using the electricity for uses other than what it is intended is theft." around here the charging stations are intended for EV's only. highdesertranger

Hmmm....I wonder if it is illegal to park an electric car near a gas pump?

Hey, fair is fair!

:p

BTW, I have seen some youtube videos of DIY uses for the used and surplus Tesla packs, and some of them have caught fire...and you cant put out those lithium fires with a regular automotive fire extingusher....

Be careful with those batteries!

Something else comes to mind here.

This was not just a conversation between the OP and highdesertranger. Others were and are looking in and pondering whether or not to think about doing the same thing. highdesertranger stating his concerns over the matter is doing the rest of us a service regardless of how correct he might or might not be.

The OP should not take things like that so personally.

for those that dont know and there is apparently at least one -

a person has to set up a account with the EV charging company -
then you get a card or fob that is linked to your bank to pay for charging-
the card or fob is placed next to start the charger -

just because there is not a card or coin slot does not mean its Free -

Knowledge is your friend -

this is where the confusion lies. not all charging stations charge many are free and intended for EV's only. do a search on free EV charging and there a hundreds if not thousands through out the country. that's where I made my mistake I thought all of them were free and for EV use only. highdesertranger

ok I got a response back from Volta the company that I email and took pics of there charging station. here is their response,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out. We support your position.

While Volta applauds your fellow RV enthusiasts for using clean electric batteries over gas generators, we would like to make it clear that charging non-propulsive batteries is an improper use of Volta's free electric vehicle charging stations. Only electric vehicles that legally fit in Volta spaces which are charging their own drive train batteries should be using Volta charging stations.

Thank you so much for taking a stand in your RV forum about appropriate community behavior. We appreciate your support of Volta's mission is to maximize the number of electric miles driven and to encourage the adoption of electric vehicles.

If any of your fellow RVers would like advice on upcoming plug-in hybrid vehicles with strong towing capacity please feel free to provide my information. I'm more than happy to share information about vehicles that they can charge at Volta stations!

Some options I am personally excited about include:

•The 2020 Plug-In Hybrid Ford F-150 <-- its battery can be used as a generator AND is a propulsive battery, so that's a great win-win. It will have a significant battery / generator as well as a typical gas tank.

•Workhorse's W-15 Plug-In Hybrid pickup truck also has a dual propulsion - generator battery. Drive 80 miles pure electric (and / or use as a 60 kWh generator to power ~3 days of RV'ing on a charge) + an 11 gallon gas tank that delivers another 310 miles of flex range
•The 2020 Rivian All-Electric truck is due out with ~400 miles range and over 11,000 pounds in towing capacity, and 14,000 Nm of torque

•Then of course the Tesla Model X All-Electric SUV, for those with a higher budget range.

Some benefits of towing with a plug-in include:

•Higher instantaneous torque from standstill with an electric motor
•It's 50% cheaper to drive on electricity than gas and overall cheaper to own a plug-in than gas car.

If you're an electric vehicle driver I'm sure you are already aware of all these great benefits. Hopefully this information will be of interest to others in the RV forum!

Drive Forward,

Mia Yamauchi

Marketing Manager | Volta Charging | [email protected] | Schedule a Meeting | cell (408) 675-8455

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

so there you have it straight from the source. she clearly states that they must be propulsion batteries. keep in mind these are for free charging stations maybe pay for use ones are different. since I have never seen a pay to use one around here maybe you could contact one of the ones you are referring to and post their reply here. it would greatly benefit our community if we legally have this option but we need clairification. highdesertranger

Little confussing on the new plug in hybred vehicles they state you can use it to power an RV yet state charging stations are to be used only for drive train batteries. Will those vehicles not be allowed to use charging stations? What size does a vehicle need to be to legally fit in a Volta charging space. Are electric cars legally required to be a certain size? Does Tesla's SUV fit in a Volta charge space or is it not allowed to charge there. Sure be nice to know before you buy one!

they are standard size parking spots so anything that would fit into one of them would be ok. I wasn't confused just as long as you were charging a propulsion battery and your vehicle fit in the parking spot you were ok. she did kinda do the sales pitch thing promoting EV's but that's their business. highdesertranger