Questions to ask (for a first timer), before buying

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm brand new and haven't started this journey yet. Trying to find a class C to purchase to live full time in and travel. Low income so not alot to work with so don't want to buy a lemon. What questions should I ask a seller that you think would be most prudent and helpful for me to ask before committing to a purchase ?

First off welcome to CRVL.

IMO the single most important thing to watch for with a used class C is for water damage. Especially in the bunk above the cab. After that just make sure everything works. there are some Ford's and Dodges I would stay away from but we can go over that later. find one you think is good and post a link here we will look it over and give you an opinion or about a hundred opinions, LOL. Highdesertranger

Redliongraphics1 said:
What questions should I ask a seller that you think would be most prudent and helpful for me to ask before committing to a purchase ?

Have you bought and sold many vehicles in the past?  If not, you need to be wary about titling issues. Also, I would ask them how long they've owned it. If only for a short time, they could be someone who is a curbstoner. That is someone who flips vehicles for a short term profit and may know little about prior maintenance history or who has done repairs to it with cheap parts just enough to make it saleable.

You also need to research what to check for mechanically or find a good mechanic who can do a thorough inspection (which won't be cheap). Older RV's many times will have tires that have great tread but are old and dangerous. 6 new tires for a Class C will be expensive.

Age of the Tires... Look for cracks in the sidewall. If you see any, then you’ll need to replace them.

Age of the house batteries.

Look for water damage and/or any softness in the wood.

When was the oil in the generator changed. Needs to be done every 50 hours of use and/or once a year.

If it has slides, extend them and look for any light cracks around the seams. Personally I’d avoid slides and motorized steps - just one more thing to break.

Class C motor homes tend to be the least expensive because they generally have problems because of the way they are built and usually owned by first time buyers. Post lots of pictures of any you find and pray a lot if you are religious.

When I buy anything used, I always add a line on the purchase agreement, "Seller is unaware of any undocumented damages or potential repairs in excess of $1,000. Not disclosing these facts will require the seller to reverse the sale."

Thanks everyone! Good suggestions... Feel free to keep commenting and giving ideas if you have any. Great info so far. Appreciate it!

I was able to find a 2012 Class C on a Chevy Chassis with less then 18,000 miles on it, the Generator had 3.5 hours it. They are out there, but I had to over 700 miles to go to get it.

Tony\ said:
When I buy anything used, I always add a line on the purchase agreement, "Seller is unaware of any undocumented damages or potential repairs in excess of $1,000. Not disclosing these facts will require the seller to reverse the sale."

this is a great idea! i doubt if many would knowingly violate that stipulation so it would sure give peace of mind. 
the thing i would look out for is odometer reading "85,000" miles when it probably already flipped and is really 185,000
miles. i read a lot of ads where they don't give pics of odometer or engine, which is a real turn off  :dodgy:

FYI. Not all dealers are willing to allow you to add that statement.....or will tell you the "As Is" covers that. This should cause you to pause and ask more questions. Not all dealers are crooked, but there are some still out there that will sell you a lemon in a heart beat.