Question about residency, Tennessee

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty Van Halen

Reaction score
I live in Nashville,TN.  I  have a TN drivers license. I vote in TN. I even have a library card here.  When my condo lease expires im going full time in the van.  Heres the problem....I will no longer have a physical address!  Sure , I can get mail by using a mail service, but i will still need a physical address to renew my drivers license when the time comes and for auto insurance and things like that.  

I would really like to do this in TN but so far what iv read, it looks like i will probably have to go to South Dakota to do this by the book and be legal.  bummer.  If im wrong please tell me.  Id love to have any advice or ideas from you fine folks please.  thanks

All you need is a friend or family member to let you use theirs. Make exactly like you've moved in, can even sign a lease for $1 a month.

Nothing illegal about it, for legal domicile purposes that is your current permanent residential address for everything official.

Start well before you actually hit the road.

Get your mail forwarding service set up same time, so the S&B address gets zero, or at least minimal mail once you're done.

Otherwise besides SD, Escapees has several options, and St Brendan's Isle in FL. All gov approved legit, used by many wealthy USians living the mobile life without a US S&B.

I think I may have it figured out now. I talked to a company called The Mail Box. they are in TN. I told the guy of my plans and he said iv come to the right place. He said most of his customers do the same thing, live in an RV and have no physical address and since im already a TN resident I will have no problem. He said as we were speaking he was in process of forwarding a renewed drivers license to his customer that was currently traveling thru FL. I will get a real street address with the purchase of his service with many mail forwarding options. Im feeling pretty good now! :)

Thanks to you all for your input and advice!

May be good enough for now, or for gummint,

but increasingly commercial service provided domicile addresses get knocked back by banks, insurance other legal / financial providers.

Just so you know, actual S&B from F/F is really better for the long term if you can go that way.

Use them for the mail forwarding of course. . .

John61CT said:
May be good enough for now, or for gummint,

but increasingly commercial service provided domicile addresses get knocked back by banks, insurance other legal / financial providers.

Just so you know, actual S&B from F/F is really better for the long term if you can go that way.

Use them for the mail forwarding of course. . .

Tell us which specific business are rejecting the address, and we will tell you ten alternatives to that business that want your money. Have had no problems in Florida. It’s expected that many will be snowbirds, so all business works this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk