Quest continues. Thoughts on this conversion van???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PineyCruisin

Reaction score
Although I haven't been posting at all in the past few weeks, I still have been on the unending quest for a good conversion van. I'm finding that I have to call owners within hours of posting on CL and make an appointment immediately for anything that is even close to being a good deal or they are gone quickly. Which means I haven't had much time to even ask for opinions here beforehand (which I value immensely!). 

I can't tell you the number of junkers we have seen in our price range (ideal range around $6K but up to $8K for a newer vehicle with no additional repairs needed) and the ones whose body/undercarriage look OK (not perfect) have other problems. Living in the rust belt made us realize that undercarriage/body rust is now just as important as engine on our list of priorities. However, the costs of driving to view/test drive vehicle and then professionally inspect resulting in lost deposits is making us gun shy.

So......we are going to take another stab at a van tomorrow. The first time this van was posted about 2 weeks ago, I poo-poo'd it because it seemed overpriced for the year. But after a few days,  I couldn't resist considering again because this thing seemed to be babied and had Florida plates (although I was also wary that is was one of those out-of-state selling scams).

The very first thing I do when I see a van on CL is google the phone number of the seller, if given, to see if it is associated with a dealer. I can't tell you the number of CL posts of dealers camoflauged as private owners I've found. Anyway, the phone number given on this one was used for selling 2 other vehicles....a 65 Corvair and a 2010 Camaro on 2 separate lesser known selling websites. So I called the owner.

As it turns out, he collects cars...a Jay Leno of sorts, it seems (I didn't tell him about finding his other ads). He lives in an upscale NYC neighborhood and keeps the van in storage when not in use. He owns houses in upper state NY and FL where traveling to/from accounted for most of the miles. Because his family is being hauled in this vehicle,he said he made sure everything on this van was in tip-top shape. Love this!

I also really like that the transmission was recently done because the vans within our price range usually are within transmission end-of-life expectancy and we've just been adding on a couple grand to any price for that repair to see if price within our range. I figured that taking the new transmission cost into consideration, along with all the front end work, 4 brand new $300 tires, brakes, full tune up....we are already ahead of the game than if buying a cheaper vehicle that is crappier and in need of repairs. From this standpoint, I guess the asking price is not as bad as when first considered.

I realize that Fords are highly recommended to be avoided on this site, I'm assuming because of the spark plug problem primarily, but there are just too many satisfied Ford tritan 2valve customers on the internet to make us completely run away from one that has been this well maintained. I had asked the owner if the spark plug issue was addressed on this van and he said he never had one spit out.

Almost forgot....here's the ad......

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/6085756115.html

I don't know why I am finding it so hard to come up with a maximum price I am willing to put out for a 17 year old vehicle.

Any thoughts?

Sure looks nice. Get a mechanic to put it up give it a good inspection. Don't procrastinate, lots of people with money there!

We thought so too. Yes, it is fine line between procrastination and buying on impulse.

We actually have an appointment first thing in the morning. The owner allowed us to jump in earlier in the day from a previously scheduled viewing because he thought we were more of the type of individuals he was hoping to sell to (someone who would appreciate and take care of the vehicle).

What do you think of the price?

I'm in a rural area, everything's going to be more expensive in the NYC area.

And have been very lucky to get "sweetheart deals" from people I know helping me out.

IOW I'm no good judging price.

Patience and experience will make you a subject expert for your area though, so if you "have a bad feeling" give it a pass.

I like it, and it seems like the PO kept up the maintence on it.
What engine?

Look at it this way, you can buy a cheaper one and add all the new stuff on this one and you will come out about the same.

I completely forgot to ask if it was 4.6 or 5.4 when I spoke with him. He's (hopefully) sending me the VIN tonight so will know then.

That's what I keep thinking with the costs of repairs. And the only maintenance items left that he didn't mention doing and that I can think of are possible wheel bearings (hubby has done those), coolant flush, brake fluid change, possibly hoses and belts (can't imagine he left those go however if he is as meticulous as he sounds).  I wouldn't doubt if he hasn't recently done the coolant and brake flush because he said he forgot to mention the tune up in the ad, too.

Perform your own car fax or auto check on it, if that interested.
I always wonder why an owner would have brand new this and that, then sell the vehicle.  Makes me wonder about their "altruistic" motives...

Get an inspection anyway, hope for your sake that this is a good clean vehicle that the PO just felt like they had to spend money on for you.

Obviously, the possibility of rust, even from Florida, needs to be checked.

Good luck.

Oh, in the NE with all that "documented" repair work done that's a good price.  Always make a reasonable offer.

This world isn said:
Perform your own car fax or auto check on it, if that interested.
I always wonder why an owner would have brand new this and that, then sell the vehicle.  Makes me wonder about their "altruistic" motives...

Yes, definitely re:carfax. I have a subscription so that is why I'm waiting on the VIN. Usually I only make an appt after reviewing the carfax but he was out of town on work business when I spoke with him and didn't have the VIN available on his person. I'm waiting for him to fly back home tonight. 

This is most definitely one of my concerns. I did flat out ask (although I usually expect one of the few given acceptable answers so I don't hold too much weight on it) and he hesitated and then said they are looking for a newer vehicle. The hesitation was a bit of a flag, but if he has the money I suspect, then I am surprised he even kept that old vehicle this long. My one concern is that he found a repair needed that was not worth spending the money on and is not honest enough to disclose it.

He also kept saying how hard it will be to sell "her". 

Oops...even as I was typing...he texted the VIN. I'll be back......

WELL......SON OF A FREAKIN" BEE!!!!

Remember when I told you how many freakin' dealers are posing as "private owners" around here. Well, this one took the OSCAR for best posing in a Craigslist ad!!!

Looked up the carfax and wouldn't you know, this vehicle was sold at auction on 2/22/16 and taken over by a dealer. He collects cars alright but probably by flipping them and lying to potential buyers about his supposed "ownership".

I could tell you guys so many stories of all the shenanigans we have run into. I really should make a list to warn others.

On to the next freakin van. Can you tell I am getting just a little bit frustrated.

I also wanted to add that I'm so sorry for wasting the time of everyone who was kind enough to post.

And now that I've cooled down a bit....I didn't want to give the impression that everyone I've met in this car buying process is up to something. I have also met some very nice people who have been very honest about their vehicles.

PineyCruisin said:
Looked up the carfax and wouldn't you know, this vehicle was sold at auction on 2/22/16 and taken over by a dealer. He collects cars alright but probably by flipping them and lying to potential buyers about his supposed "ownership".

If it was sold at auction a year ago (2/22/16) what has been going on with it for the last year? Does he have receipts/proof of the new transmission? I would ask him about what you found on the carfax report regarding the auction and see what he says. The ad states he's the original owner and its been in the family for years.

NY has pretty good consumer affairs enforcement, might have some strong leverage there!

i don't get the dealership thing, if its what you want,,,its what you want,,,if it checks out,,it checks out

caretaker said:
i don't get the dealership thing, if its what you want,,,its what you want,,,if it checks out,,it checks out

The man has demonstrated he's a liar.  What else did he lie about?  How do you know the transmission was changed?  How do you know the odometer wasn't turned back?

P.C. i agree fully with you, but i would assume I'm being lied to by almost everybody, and i know this might sound crazy, i assume it will break down 20 seconds after i put plates on it,,but even though I'm a chevy guy,,,for an NY van that looks pretty good

Get him to sign a statement only about condition and work done. Then get it well checked out by a mechanic, should be pretty easy to catch a lie or two if any.

If everything checks out OK then who cares grab it.

If not, you either hardball negotiate or walk away and report him to the BBB, state AG, consumer affairs, etc

I already told him I'm no longer interested. And it wasn't because he was a dealer....I only google the phone number before calling anyone on CL to see if they are a dealer in order to know who I am dealing with---a private owner who really knows the vehicle or a dealer who may have just acquired it and also to see, if a dealer, how honest they are when I start asking them questions about ownership.  I've had a number of dealers say right away that they are small lot dealers when asked. Its when they lie off the bat I'd rather not do business with them....like Optimistic Paranoid said...what else will they lie about.

This guy got my goat because of his extremely elaborate scheming and dishonesty. No way I'm dealing with a con artist. The very first thing I asked him when we spoke on the phone was if he was the original owner and he said yes. He was pretending to be the original owner both in the ad and over the phone and went way above and beyond the charade that so many things that he stated were now obviously deception. 

I tried to see if there was a way on Craigslist to flag an ad but can't find any.

I doubt now that any of the work was done. When I asked about receipts previously, especially the transmission work he said no, he doesn't usually ask for any receipts but when I inquired further he said "I'll get them from my mechanic". I was going to walk away from the deal if there was no proof of warranty anyway. I also noticed that he changed his ad somewhat after speaking with him---originally the ad said that the transmission was replaced by Ford but now the word "Ford" is omitted. Husband thinks because he realized it was too easy to verify the work if done by a dealership. What I don't get is that he doesn't realize that the carfax is going to show that he is being dishonest about being the OO.

It did look like a nice van but it was just not worth it to us......I'm so glad we didn't drive up there and waste our time further.

But here's something positive......found this minutes ago on CL and already contacted the seller (the ad was only posted less than 30 minutes before I emailed him)

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/6100895169.html

Hubby really wanted Dodges off the potential to-buy list after all the problems we have encountered and researched but 2 of the problems seem to be already dealt with---the transmission and the rust. So I couldn't help myself. 

And what is REALLY nice----it's less than 30 minutes away from us!