Quartzsite, Ehernberg, Blythe Tips & Hints

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheelEstate USA

Reaction score
Here's a place you can post useful tips for places you know out here that might help others.
Things like shopping, laundry, showers, eating out, and such.

Food shopping:
We go to Family Dollar on the east end for some things, and Dollar General on the west end for some. Like currently, eggs at FD are $2.60, at DG $1.75. Milk is cheaper at DG.
FD has a Redbox if you want a flick.
General Store (next to FD) has good produce and good prices on fresh cut meats. They make breakfast sausage fresh daily and its really good (and priced right).
There are a couple big tent stores that sell what I call "scratch & dent"... dented cans and boxes with good food inside....cheap.

I'll add more after I give my old thumbs a rest.
Please, add anything you know about.

In Q...

Gas and fast food:
On the west end are Pilot and Love's, there gas is usually cheapest...currently $2.25 regular. Pilot's RV Rewards card gets you a couple cents off per gallon. Points get you a few cents off at their Subway or DQ ;)
Loves has a Chester's Chicken.

On that end of town you will find Carl's, Burger King, and Mickey D...all with WiFi.
Around town are several vendors with fast foods of all kinds.

There are some good places with "sit down" meals, often priced reasonably.
Silly Al's has pretty good pizza, cold beer, and full bar. Happy hour daily 10- noon & 3:30-5:30 pm. Karakoe Tues-Fri. DJ dance music Saturdays...sometimes a band made up of traveling talent.

Ehrenberg has very little to do, but has a bar.
We haven't looked much in Blythe other than shopping at Smart and Final Foods or K-Mart.
More about entertainment later.

First place I go when I get to Qzt. is K & B Tools. It's also the last place I go when I leave Qzt. Their price and selection on cheap Chinese stuff is astounding! Plus, all of it I've bought has been superior quality cheap Chinese stuff.

If you are going to be their in the heat, get some of their shade cloth, great prices and great quality. Also get some of their rebar stakes, again, best prices in town and they last forever. Use bungee cords to attach the shade cloth so it has some give in the wind, great price and great quality there.

The sell 4 foot and 2 foot Reflectix by the foot or by the roll, get that for the heat--and cold.

Once I'm done with K&B tools, I walk down the next alley to the best scratch and dent grocery store in town and stock up there. It will also be the last place I hit when I leave Qzt.
Bob

Thanks for the reminder about rebar stakes Bob!!

I was sorting out the tarps/shade tents etc in the cargo trailer the other day and pulled my shade panel and a whack of bungie cords but threw the rebar stakes into the tote that will stay with the 12x20 canopy..duh!!

Question for y'all that are used to shopping in Quartzite - am I better off waiting until I get there to get things like my roof vent or should I grab it in Elkhart on my way through? Same with rain guards for the windows and running boards.

bindi&us said:
On that end of town you will find Carl's, Burger King, and Mickey D...all with WiFi.

Realistically speaking, how usable IS the free Wi-Fi there?

I would think that when a cast of thousands is all trying to use it at the same time, it would slow to a crawl . . .

Regards
John

Almost There said:
Question for y'all that are used to shopping in Quartzite - am I better off waiting until I get there to get things like my roof vent or should I grab it in Elkhart on my way through? Same with rain guards for the windows and running boards.

Don't wait to buy auto parts there, it's not good for that at all. 

But it is good for RV stuff, get the vent at K&B Tools.
Bob

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Realistically speaking, how usable IS the free Wi-Fi there?

I would think that when a cast of thousands is all trying to use it at the same time, it would slow to a crawl . . .

I don't use it, I just use my Verizon data, but I know numerous people who use the WIFI even at the worst of it and it works fine. Burger King has the best in town.

It's only a mad house for about a week, and a semi madhouse the week before and after that. Basically January is very busy but before that it's no big deal and by February the crowds are GONE and it's nearly a ghost town.
Bob

X 2 on Bk WiFi.

I love the K&B tent at Tyson Wells market. They also have great deals on crimp connectors for 12 V, switches, and stuff.
You go there and you will find something you need...cheap.
I'm going there tomorrow with my list ;)

For trash, go north on AZ 95 to the first left-turn lane after it goes 2-lane. Open 3 or 4 days a week, free for non-commerical.

In Blythe, the city park on Lovekin south of I10 has several spots for putting water in an RV for free. Dump station on Broadway south of town is $7. The one at the Flying J in Ehrenburg was out of service in April, but it's $5 with the RV card.

Lets just say we will spend a bit more and expect to get a bit more. Do you know of a good butcher or fresh vegatables for those special nights??? (The way to a womans heart is a good cook with fresh ingredients)

3X on KB, if that is the place that also has tons of new and older RV parts.
Navigate the Mc'D's parking lot at your own risk.

Ehernberg doesn't have much for shopping, so folks run over to Blythe, which is only a couple miles on the Calif side of the river.
E-berg has a small store, with laundry, showers, and free WiFi. They have ice, such they freeze from unfiltered water so not good for drinking. They also have a filtered water station and Rv dump.
The little Post Office is a few blocks east of the store/laundry and does accept General Delivery.

Flying J has gas (now $2.37) cheaper than Blythe (nearly 3 bucks), while Q is cheaper at $2.25 currently. Pilot/Flying J RV Rewards card gets you a couple cents off. (Anyone can get the card).

More later ;)

Blythe has nice library - anyone can get a card by showing their drivers license. Can use their computers of your own for free. Nice selection of books for a town this small. Showers at laundromat in Ehrenberg -buy in bulk 10 tickets for $36, 5 tickets for $20 or $5 for one shower. Only one shower is currently working so may be a wait when things get busier.

Sounds like they need someone to fix their showers. A financial opportunity? or are they purposely leaving them unfixed?

bindi&us said:
Ehernberg doesn't have much for shopping, so folks run over to Blythe, which is only a couple miles on the Calif side of the river.
E-berg has a small store, with laundry, showers, and free WiFi. They have ice, such they freeze from unfiltered water so not good for drinking. They also have a filtered water station and Rv dump.
The little Post Office is a few blocks east of the store/laundry and does accept General Delivery.

Flying J has gas (now $2.37) cheaper than Blythe (nearly 3 bucks), while Q is cheaper at $2.25 currently. Pilot/Flying J RV Rewards card gets you a couple cents off. (Anyone can get the card).

More later ;)

Ehrenberg is also the place to buy fresh citrus.  Last year I was getting giant lemons for 5 for $1.

I offered to fix the shower there for free shower, and was never contacted.   :huh:

The little store in Ehrenberg has a laundromat with free WIFI and a couple of plug-ins. Everyone says it's pretty fast.

The store will also rent you a mail box I think for $8 a month for 3 months. Two people can go in on it so it's very cheap!!

It will receive USPS, UPS and FedEx. They are very reliable.
Bob