Quartzsite, Ehernberg, Blythe Tips & Hints

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got out in Q this morning and visited with a few venders we know. I picked up a small iron skillet that was on my list. Got a good deal on it :)

Went to the K&B tent to look around. Guess I looked a little too well...spent 70 smackers. Scored another shade cloth and a bunch of other stuff on the list.
IMG_20151030_085123032.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20151030_085123032.jpg
    IMG_20151030_085123032.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
There has been interest in gold prospecting and a seminar being planned at RTR, so I thought a word about that topic might be of use.

In Q, at 566 N Central (hwy 95 at the light), north of Main you will find Miner' Depot. They carry a wide variety of equipment, from beginner to really serious. 
Lots of vendors have the basic stuff, like pans and screens that are cheap and good enough for the learning experience.
The K&B tent has those starter items right out front in cartons. You should get fixed up for under 10 bucks...don't forget to grab one of those kneeling pads sitting right there for a couple bucks ;)

Prospecting and rockhoundIng are tradition in this part of the country. If you look around you might find something dazzling. Some very nice crystals have been found here also.

Hey, if nothing else, you"ll get some exersize and get to explore a piece of our desert.

bindi&us said:
In Q...

On the west end are Pilot and Love's, there gas is usually cheapest...currently $2.25 regular.

It seems to me the Arco station on the east side of town usually has the cheapest gas.

The showers at the laundromat/showers/restaurant across from Roadrunner Market in QZT are just showers. Toilets and sinks are in a separate room. The shower rooms are kind of small, so it can be a challenge keeping your stuff dry. They were $6 the last time I was there.

I've never been in the showers at the Pilot because there was always a long wait whenever I stopped in.

The showers at Love's ($11) aren't fancy, but they're roomy, the water is plenty hot and the pressure is superb. Toilet, sink, mirror, fan, a place to sit. If there's a wait, there are restaurant booths where you can sit while you wait instead of wandering the aisles. The towels are a little small and thin.

There are 15 showers at the Flying J in Ehrenberg ($12), so there's rarely a wait. When there is, there's a driver lounge you can wait in. The shower rooms are modern and roomy. Toilet/sink/mirror/fan. The water pressure is good and the towels are larger than the other places and a decent thickness. The keypads on the doors can be stubborn.

I've never asked about the showers at the market/laundromat/resort in Ehrenberg.

I use pay showers about once a week, maybe twice if I want to splurge, then do sponge baths the rest of the time.

The Arco on the east end of Q was at $2.27 when I posted. They are $2.25 now, same as Pilot & Loves.

We find truckstop showers a bit pricey for us. We usually use our solar shower between the back doors.
At E-berg, we like buying a bunch of tickets to get the cost down to 3 bucks and split the deal with another person. Say 30 tickets split 3 ways. Might have to wait our turn but usually doing a load of laundry and using free WiFi anyway.
The people are cool there and allow us to hang out some.

In Q, I know some locals and have some open invites for showers, tho we rarely impose.
Have not used the Main St laundry/showers in years.

bindi&us said:
The Arco on the east end of Q was at $2.27 when I posted. They are $2.25 now, same as Pilot & Loves.

Cool.

Meanwhile, for those who might be approaching Quartzsite from the south, gas is about 25 cents/gallon cheaper in Yuma — at least at the moment. You might want to fill up there. Load up on provisions while there, too, where the selection is greater and less costly.

MrNoodly said:
You might want to fill up there. Load up on provisions while there, too, where the selection is greater and less costly.

Yes! The shopping in Quartzsite is limited and expensive so stock up with everything you possibly can before you get there. The nearest Walmart is 45 miles away in Parker, the next best shopping is at Smart and Final at Blythe--it's nearly as good as Walmart but even it is 27 miles away.
Bob

MrNoodly said:
 Load up on provisions while there, too, where the selection is greater and less costly.

Amen brother! The shopping in Quartzsite is limited and expensive so stock up with everything you possibly can before you get there. The nearest Walmart is 45 miles away in Parker, the next best shopping is at Smart and Final at Blythe--it's fairly cheap on groceries as Walmart but even it is 27 miles away.

Bob

If you're coming in thru Yuma there is a Walmart off I-8 at the East 8 1/2 st in the Fortuna area on the east end of town.
Also a nice Fry's (Kroger) at Fortuna Rd.
Catch 95 to Q by going north on Fortuna.

If you're ready to rest for the night, there is a BLM camp a couple miles from the turn onto 95. It's on the left behind the VFW hall...no registering for overnight.

In the morning its a nice cruise, but you will hit a Border Patrol check about the 1/2 point. Make sure the curtain behind your seat is wide open so they can see in. Most likely you will be saved thru politely.

We got into Quartzsite Wednesday night late so haven't set up camp yet. I forget how much I hate the freeway noise. I'm not sure I can stay here. We may go up to the RTR site, where it is better, still there but not as bad.
Bob

Welcome back Bob.
We are located a couple washes behind where the camp host will be on E Dome Rock. Graybeard is here too.
Still hear the freeway some but need easy access to town for a few days.

bindi&us said:
Welcome back Bob.
We are located a couple washes behind where the camp host will be on E Dome Rock. Graybeard is here too.
Still hear the freeway some but need easy access to town for a few days.

Say Hello to David for me You guys have the right idea it's getting chilly here Lookin forward to some good times.