Purchasing a Van!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm sorry for not being inactive for so long, I've been dragging my feet on the whole project of making a van build but I've decided that I'm finally going to tackle it this summer. Alrighty! So this will be a 2-part post. First, I'd like to get some advice on what kind of vehicle I should purchase. For this build, I want it to be relatively basic; I just want it to serve as a comfortable, safe place to sleep at night, have a decent amount of storage for my personal belongings, and provide the ability to charge electronics. Basically, if I were to live in it, I would find external sources for 80% - 90% of my living amenities (i.e. bathrooms, internet, cooking and food storage, etc.).
Based on this, whatever I purchase will need to...
- Be stealthy
- Lend itself well to being modified to remain comfortable in hot summer weather and cold winter weather.
- Lend itself to having a solar panel installed on it.
- Also, I'd ideally like to find something that has a reputation of lasting a long time when cared for well. I used to have a 1998 Toyota Corolla with over 300k miles on it; ran great! It'd be really nice if I could find a van with that quality.
- As far as price is concerned, I'd like to keep it in the range of 2-3k for the purchase of the van itself, but if I have to spend 3-5k, I can make that work.
Personally I was thinking of getting a cargo van with an extended body, I felt that would serve my needs quite well, but if there are any specific models you guys could recommend, or if you guys could give me some resources for researching various van models, I would really appreciate it.

Moving on, I wanted to discuss finding a van on Craigslist; that's likely where I'll buy it from. I've never bought a used vehicle off of a private owner before so I wanted to ask for some advice on how to best ensure I'm getting a decent vehicle and how I should go about inspecting/examining any vehicles I'm interested in.

Thank you guys so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

The best bang for those kind of bucks is a mini van. You still need solar . A heater and are you going to have air or a fan? You need money in the bank to make it float when it wants to sink. You can buy a mini van under 130k miles for under your price range. If you buy something with a lot more miles can you work on it? Will you have the money to send it to a shop? If you dont have those things then a mini van is a good choice. Dont forget a fridge. You're just getting started spending money buying the rig. Anywsy mini Van's are bought for women that dont want to drive them. They have the worst resale for their real value of any rig to sleep in.

Awesome Street said:
- As far as price is concerned, I'd like to keep it in the range of 2-3k for the purchase of the van itself, but if I have to spend 3-5k, I can make that work.
Personally I was thinking of getting a cargo van with an extended body, I felt that would serve my needs quite well,

Have you checked CL for vans in that price range?  Even your upper range of $5k will only buy a van in the 15-20+ year old range and with higher mileage. There are good ones out there but you have to be careful and knowledgeable about what to look for.

Extended vans are Ford,Chevy and Dodge and in general the drivetrains are pretty reliable but you have to plan for breakdowns. It's getting so even regular maintenance can be pretty costly if you're not able to do it yourself. There are many online guides for buying used vehicles that you'll want to check plus there's quite a bit of info on this forum also if you poke around some.

Ok. First. Where are you? I stay primarily in the South east. I don't need solar as I do have a house battery that runs off a continuous solenoid. Charges my led lights and small electronics. As for a cooler? I have ready access to local stores so I can buy food fresh daily. Don't need a large water container as water is readily available purchased or local parks etc. I have an insulated stainless steel mug I fill with ice each morning that last all day. As for heat? Borrow some magic dust from "Bob" (yes, that Bob) and buy you a small propane cooking stove. HoboJoe

I just carried out your requirements earlier this month, in the SW US. I had a sub-3k budget, and wanted something full size. I found little. Vans approaching 300k, non running vans, etc. I got a small loan to bump me over 3k and it changed the game. If I was in a position to get a bigger loan I would have absolutely done so. Having around 3k for a down payment is pretty good, and if you have good credit you may be able to obtain a good loan term so long as you are working.

I didn't have much luck with minivans. They were all 20+ year old chryslers and fords with many miles. No astrovans in may range that ran.

I was also coaxed into facebook. I didn't like it, but I did go and look at a machine or two through that site. Lots of options there. What I bought came from craigslist, tho.

When you want to score a steal off CL or FB market place it's different than going to the store. It's more like buying at an auction when it's time to buy . Swift and prompt. Before that though it may take a lot of time checking adds every day. You must have your knowledge you need to react NOW when the time comes. Steals only last sometimes an hour or less. Someone will make a pricing mistake. You dont try to offer less because in minutes you will lose it. If you know what you are looking for then quickly strike. Tie up the deal and be on your way to buy it. Tell them its sold . You are on your way. Do just that with cash in hand. Problem is it can take months before it happens. Might be happening now. Otherwise all the posters are telling you same thing. You dont have the money range to buy what you want fair market.

2 to 3k is a buy an extended van from your grandpa who thinks you are the best thing ever token cost price range. The kind of granpa who thinks kid should at least be taught to save up a little money for a car.

One day last week I saw on marketplace a deal I really wanted to tell Bob about but I dont know how. They are buying minivans to rebuild . Anyway it was a mini van. 1999 76k actual miles. It had a few small dents and no back seats so the poster said it would make an exellent work van and everything worked. Blowing cold air. 1000k cash no trades..I considered that a steal. I waited four hours after mulling about it . Decided if it was still there I would buy it to resell. Guy told me it was already gone. Listing was four hours old. I dont know how long it lasted but it didnt last four. I just cant use one. If I could use it I would have owned it the second I saw it. I do a lot on fb and cl . That's the way it goes. Just maybe the poster didnt think it had market value because of no back seats. I'm not sure . But it would not have bothered this crowd. Anything here that starts and runs and drives out is worth 1500 to 2000.

Hello everyone, I'm sorry for taking so long to respond, I've been a little strapped for time these past few days but I sincerely appreciate the feedback you guys have provided. I've read everything and based on your suggestions I've put together a rough plan for what I'm going to do. It sounds like a work van is going to be a little bit outside my price range at this point in time, so I've decided that for the purposes of this build I'll be going with a minivan. When I first read the suggestion I was a little resistant because this build will need to be suitable for full-time city living and all of the windows in a minivan really seemed like something that would inhibit stealth, and I also felt that solar panels and a roof vent on top of a minivan would seem rather conspicuous, but after looking at some stealth minivan builds on YouTube, I've realized that a minivan would be a feasible platform for the project. At this point in time I don't have enough money, so here is basically what is going to happen moving forward:
1) I'm going to pick up a second part time job. Unfortunately I live in Seattle which has been the hardest hit city from the Corona Virus so this might prove challenging, but from here on out I'm going to start submitting job applications like a MANIAC trying to land an extra 20 work hours per week on top of my full-time job as a night-crew restocker. I'll also cut back on my expenses (looks like I'll be living on rice and beans for a couple of months). After a few months of this I should have a strong budget that will adequately fund the endeavor.
2) With the money in place, I'll quit the part-time job I picked up and start looking for a decent minivan suitable for the project. Once I'm in possession of the van, I'm going to sell/give away 98% of my possessions except for a few items that are absolutely essential or sentimental, and cancel my lease agreement with my landlord.
3) At this point I'm going to live out of the van as I develop it into a camper. This will be stressful but certainly doable. I'll start by turning it into a no-build build. From there I'll sign up for a membership with Seattle Makers. They've helped people develop van conversions in the past and should be able to provide me with all of the tools and know-how to fully convert the vehicle, and the money I save on rent should be more than enough to cover the remaining costs of the project. Additionally, I'm willing to bet they'd let me camp in their parking lot as I work on it. Until I get to this point, I probably won't worry too terribly much about the details of my solar, electrical, and climate control systems. At this stage I'll probably use my vacation hours to take a few weeks off from work so I can fast-track the process.

At this point, let's just focus on what kind of vehicle I should look out for. Now, as mentioned, I'm going to get to work saving a little more money, but when I have the funds I need I'll start looking for something on CL. When I'm ready to buy the van, I'm going to check CL on an hourly basis for a good deal on a minivan and jump on any opportunities that come up. That being said, I'd like to get an idea of what I should look for. What makes and models of minivan would you guys recommend I look into? Next, if you guys could give me some tips on inspecting vehicles I find on CL, I'd appreciate that too. Lastly, I'm wondering if you guys think a budget of $2,000 would be enough to cover the expenses of weatherproofing and installing electrical/solar systems in the vehicle.

Thank you so much!

slow2day said:
Have you checked CL for vans in that price range?  Even your upper range of $5k will only buy a van in the 15-20+ year old range and with higher mileage. There are good ones out there but you have to be careful and knowledgeable about what to look for.

Extended vans are Ford,Chevy and Dodge and in general the drivetrains are pretty reliable but you have to plan for breakdowns. It's getting so even regular maintenance can be pretty costly if you're not able to do it yourself. There are many online guides for buying used vehicles that you'll want to check plus there's quite a bit of info on this forum also if you poke around some.

I live in Seattle. The weather here is pretty mild but the winters can be chilly. I wouldn't be as concerned with modding it for hot weather except for the fact that I envision myself having to frequently sleep in it during the day time, and on hot summer days that might prove difficult. I want this build to be comfortable to live in because my plan is to live in it while working 2 full time jobs.

I checked some of the outlying towns on craigslist to shop as well. ALL of the bigger city selections were what I call overpriced.

But I ended up finding a 91 GMC 350 rally 15 passenger with 87k miles on it. All brakes had to be done up and fluids and such since it had been sitting for while in a barn.  It was used as a Mormon hauler and so wear and tear  not an issue. No frame rust issues or body rust/dent issues. It is regular height but I plan to not be spending  tons of time living in it...rather living out of it.
I paid 1k ..lol.. I probably could have got it for less but I was happy with that cost.... the sellers even drove it to my house at no extra charge!!

I now check the smaller outlying towns on craigslist as well for anything.. driving a little bit can payoff!

i might have to start looking at some of these older vans if people think 1991 isn't
too old a year model. i saw a really sweet 2000 Dodge i was hesitating on as i've had
a run of bad luck with older vehicles and the dreaded rust! (glad you don't have any such
issues, DS). the 02 mazda i currently have was so rusty i'm angry at myself for buying it (it
was dark, it only has 7 inches ground clearance, and i was in a lurch and had to have something
asap). my concern is probably not having a big budget for repairs once i retire so i must get the
best vehicle i can with my very limited means...

Don't buy a vehicle from the rust belt. It will be money saved. Even a newer vehicle from there will develop rust down the road.

yes, definitely learned my lesson...maybe i'll fly down to Texas
for the next one, if i can avoid those flood cars from Houston ;)

Running your fingers over the flat stuff and the lip under the dash should only turn up dust!

I found mine on letgo.com - a 2000 Ford E250 extended with just under 100K miles - $2K even. One owner, work vehicle, kept in pretty good shape. It had a crack in the windshield, dent in the passenger door, and needed a new radiator which cost me $500 (also even). I got REALLY lucky, it was ALL the money I'd managed to save up, and I needed the van right away. I'd looked at a lot of Craigslist ads (not in person, just online), and a handful on Letgo, letgo had the better deals but fewer listings. Good luck, hope you find something soon!

I wish you luck in your search. I found the rig I wanted at a fraction of what other sellers want for it in California. The paint is terrible (I wanted ugly/dented) and bad gas in the rear tank did lead to a costly repair (suspect the seller told my male friend and not me about this, as he was otherwise honest and paid $900 in back DMV fees which most sellers don’t want to do).

As for income, that same friend was driving for UBER, which dried up. He said he’s making more with UBER Eats now.

I’ve seen mini vans for $1000, even here in SoCal and not with terrible mileage. I’d suspect those belonged to SAHM rather than 2 income households because even a 2-3 year old car here can easily have 200k miles. Keep saving, so you can jump when you see a deal. Mine came when I gave up on finding anything in my range (budget was $4-7k, but glad I went higher for a Class B over a class C).

You can do solar for under $1000. I bought 160 Watt Renogy flex panels for about $200 each. Your needs seem lower than mine, one panel could be enough for you (I’ll have 3 when finished). You might want to review other solar threads or post your own with details about what you plan to use. If your needs are very light, you could use a solar-chargeable power bank. The advantage is they can usually be changed using the 12 volt/cigarette lighter in the car and at your job if you can access plugs there. Given your location, you might want to have more panels or use a power bank that can be charged in other ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seattle Maker is unlikely to be able to let you stay in the parking lot. A private parking company has a lease contract for earning income from the parking lot.
Here is the situation for parking from their website

Lot parking
Pay on your phone using the Park Mobile Phone App (zone #421) or via credit/debit/cash at the meter next to the green gym at the corner of Mercer & Dexter. Check out lot parking areas in on our handy-dandy parking map.

0-2 hours: $4
2-10 hours: $18
After 5pm; Weekends & Holidays: $6

Street parking
Pay on your phone using the pay by phone mobile app or via credit/debit/cash at the street meters.

8am – 11am: $2.50/hr
11am – 6pm: $3.00/hr
After 6pm; Sundays & Holidays: Free

But all is not hopeless. There is an even better makerspace for your build in the region, https://snocomakers.org/. It is to the north of Seattle in the town of Everett and it has 24/7 access. They are in an industrial park, close to Boeing factory. Free Parking!!!! This is a very well equipped makerspace with a large wood shop area. They are quite active and have lots of skilled members. Even better you are just a short drive away from places such as Tacoma Screw where you can buy screws and other fasteners for a lot less than at the hardware stores. Plus there are also good lumber yards around. Grocery stores, Home Depot etc. You will also have much easier access to some great camping spots to the north and the east of Everett and to the west on Whidbey Island. I forgot mention the great park with a sandy beach and lighthouse not that far away from the makerspace :)

They have an active facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/snocomakers/

Hey everyone!

Super-excited, I've hit a huge milestone!
Since April I've been working 2 jobs to save money for a van and as of this month I've managed to save $8,500 towards my conversion project!

I'm finally going to begin looking for a decent used van that can serve as the platform for my conversion! I have 3 models in mind:
- A GMC Savanna
- A Ford E-250
- A Chevy Express

One requirement I have for a van is that it have an extended cargo area.

Wanted to ask a couple of questions:
A) Do you guys think $8,500 is enough to find a decent van? After browsing Craigslist it seems like I should be able to find something decent for that amount, but maybe you guys feel differently.
B) Of the models I listed, are there any I should stay away from?
C) Are there any other models of van, similar to those I listed (A cargo van with an extended wheel base) that I should also consider?