Proposed changes to HUD regulations could make living in an RV or Tiny House Illegal!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhawktx

Reaction score
"On 6 February 2016, the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) proposed some changes to the Code of Federal Regulations Part 3282 which could potentially make it illegal to take up permanent residence in any recreational vehicle or tiny house."

I agree with the man speaking, it needs to really not give wiggle room for the governmental authorities. Too often we see, well, it doesn't mean that become, oh yes, it does. I'm going to see if I have gotten anything from Escapees on this and read through the Code.

I came up with this article but the explanation seems to run in a circle but it claims this won't effect full-time RVers: http://rvdailyreport.com/industry/why-huds-proposed-rule-redefining-rvs-is-critical/

Not to be political, but as we know, the government wants to know where you are at every moment now and with a mobile population, it is like ants running everywhere.

I'll continue to watch this.

to me this seems odd. if you are living full time in a RV, why would you be on HUD? highdesertranger

Here's a question I have, and it may be a bit naive, but how would anyone know?

If you're in an RV, you may be moving around periodically and if asked, then you are on vacation or travelling.

If you live in a tiny house on wheels, the answer would be the same, or it's a workshop/MIL suite/spare room for visitors, etc.

If you live in a tiny house that is stationary, I'd imagine you'd do everything to not draw attention to yourself and if anyone asked, then it would definitely be a storage shed, workshop, etc? How would anyone be able to dispute that? Would they have to get a search warrant to go in to see what's inside?

In my case, I could easily say I am living with my parents or Brother as their land is next to each other, but I do not want to draw any attention to myself but what would happen if some official came out? I wouldn't have to allow them inside, would I? If not, then what would I worry about?

My figuring too.  Use a family member's or friend's address as your 'residence' address, and you are "on vacation".  There are usually common sense ways around bad senseless laws.

dhawktx said:
"On 6 February 2016, the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) proposed some changes to the Code of Federal Regulations Part 3282 which could potentially make it illegal to take up permanent residence in any recreational vehicle or tiny house."

I am assuming that you did not actually read this. Admittedly I  did not read all of it, but I see nothing referingto rv's or tiny homes at all.

dhawktx said:

You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.  :rolleyes:

It is to define the difference between an RV and a manufactured home for clarification purposes. 

https://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=HUD-2016-0013-0001

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Action
Proposed rule.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Summary
This rulemaking proposes to revise the exemption for recreational vehicles that are not self-propelled from HUD's Manufactured Housing Procedural and Enforcement Regulations. This proposed rule is based on a recommendation adopted by the Manufactured Housing Consensus Committee (MHCC) which would define a recreational vehicle as one built on a vehicular structure, not certified as a manufactured home, designed only for recreational use and not as a primary residence or for permanent occupancy, and built and certified in accordance with either the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1192-15 or American National Standards Institute (ANSI) A119.5-09 consensus standards for recreational vehicles. HUD is adopting the MHCC's recommendation but modifying it to require certification with the updated ANSI standard, A119.5-15, and by including a requirement that units claiming the ANSI A119.5-15 exemption prominently display a notice stating that the unit is designed only for recreational use, and not as a primary residence or permanent dwelling.[/font]

More fear mongering about nothing. HUD has a very specific code defining what is a Manufactured Home and what is not a manufactured home. This change simply makes it very plain that an RV is NOT a manufactured home and can't be treated like one.

What could be more obvious??? An RV is not a manufactured home so it does not fall under the rules that control a manufactured home. Why would anyone want them to? Apparetnly some people do try to call RVs manufactured home and this solves that problem and makes it very clear.

The propsed changes have no affects on any other rules that pertain to RVs or tiny homes, it simply makes it clear that it is not a manufacture home and the rules that apply to manufacture homes do not apply to it.

The rules that apply to sail boats don't apply to RVs either do they? So if there was a change that made it very clear that the rules for sail boats do not apply to RVs, would you think that was the end of the world? I bet the guy on the video would!

No you'd just think that something that seems obvious has to be made strictly clear for legal purposes.

That's all that;s going on here.
Bob

I've seen this posted a bunch of times,bon FB and in my email. The guy is not only fear mongering he's cashing in on YouTube.

cyndi said:
I've seen this posted a bunch of times,bon FB and in my email. The guy is not only fear mongering he's cashing in on YouTube.

That's the problem, fear sells so if it bleeds it leads and we all end up in a constant state of fear and worry. We are still the safest and freest peope who ever lived and yet we live in continual fear.
Bob

The mattress tag police are after me!   :p

I posted a one line response on Youtube, and he tried arguing with me.  

Thanks for confirming this is a regulatory clarification.

I've read the escapees document.........I wonder what the next "Rabbit Outta The Hat Trick" will be re: van conversions. cargo trailer conversions. gypsy wagons and any style home built campers...It's my understanding that unless boon docking a lot of these rigs are having trouble staying anywhere unless  boon docking.  I think if I'm going to build [with the help of my son and one good friend] any type of "alternative" trailer we better get cracking before that becomes illegal.

Most recent idea is mount/secure  the pop up trailer on flat bed trailer so to have room for outside equipment, chairs, grilles plants etc

If it ain't one thing it's another! :rolleyes:                  Texas Jaybird