Propane or Electric

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morningstar

Reaction score
Hi All!

I know that many folks seem to use propane stove cooktop, but would it be possible to use an electric one? Pros and cons? 

Thanks!
M

:huh: :huh: :huh:

for electric you need a lot of solar and batteries or be plugged into the grid. some do it, they will chime in. highdesertranger

Morningstar said:
Hi All!

I know that many folks seem to use propane stove cooktop, but would it be possible to use an electric one? Pros and cons? 

Thanks!
M

:huh: :huh: :huh:

There's more choices than just propane or electric.

There's also butane and alcohol stoves available.

Benefits of propane: - cheap to run particularly if you use bulk tanks instead of the disposable 1 lb tanks.

Electric - here there's choices too - standard hot plate, induction and microwave. All three consume electrical energy that you are producing yourself unless plugged in to a grid. Induction apparently uses less energy but all three will require large solar systems and storage batteries and or generating larger volumes of electricity by generator. Cost to operate varies widely by source and cost of producing energy.

Butane - more expensive to run than propane but I found my butane stove simmers better than propane.

Alcohol stoves - really quite cheap to run. Simmer well. Price range on stoves range from pennies for 'soda can DIY's', Trangia stove to marine alcohol stoves.

I actually have 3 different types...I use a 2 burner propane for cooking on outside. Hooked up to the 20lb tank my cost per meal in extremely low.

I also bought a single burner butane stove this winter and use it when I need to cook in the van (cold weather, high wind and/or WalMart parking lots). It simmers well so I also use it for cooking rice. The stove was $15., stores nicely and fits on my counter top really well.

I use a Trangia alcohol stove for canoe/backpacking trips. I like cooking on it and it packs really small. It is really cheap to run - it uses methyl hydrate for fuel. The downside of it is that my regular pots don't fit well on the Trangia and I don't like using the super thin ultra light pots that came with it on a regular basis so I keep this one for backpacking/canoeing.

Most of us use propane simply because it's widely available and if you own anything that is a commercially available camper, it likely came already outfitted with propane.

Almost There said:
There's more choices than just propane or electric.

There's also butane and alcohol stoves available.

Benefits of propane: - cheap to run particularly if you use bulk tanks instead of the disposable 1 lb tanks.

Electric - here there's choices too - standard hot plate, induction and microwave. All three consume electrical energy that you are producing yourself unless plugged in to a grid. Induction apparently uses less energy but all three will require large solar systems and storage batteries and or generating larger volumes of electricity by generator. Cost to operate varies widely by source and cost of producing energy.

Butane - more expensive to run than propane but I found my butane stove simmers better than propane.

Alcohol stoves - really quite cheap to run. Simmer well. Price range on stoves range from pennies for 'soda can DIY's', Trangia stove to marine alcohol stoves.

I actually have 3 different types...I use a 2 burner propane for cooking on outside. Hooked up to the 20lb tank my cost per meal in extremely low.

I also bought a single burner butane stove this winter and use it when I need to cook in the van (cold weather, high wind and/or WalMart parking lots). It simmers well so I also use it for cooking rice. The stove was $15., stores nicely and fits on my counter top really well.

I use a Trangia alcohol stove for canoe/backpacking trips. I like cooking on it and it packs really small. It is really cheap to run - it uses methyl hydrate for fuel. The downside of it is that my regular pots don't fit well on the Trangia and I don't like using the super thin ultra light pots that came with it on a regular basis so I keep this one for backpacking/canoeing.

Most of us use propane simply because it's widely available and if you own anything that is a commercially available camper, it likely came already outfitted with propane.

Wow! Thank you so much! very informative! I'm planning on going with solar, and electric just feels safer to me (maybe because I have had an electric cooktop for most of my life in my home anyway!) How much solar would I need? I'm definitely unfamiliar with solar technology... I was thinking like 3 solar panels and four batteries(?) to run a small car fridge and cook 1-2 meals a day on the stove.... maybe use a microwave once in a while.... 

Can you cook on a propane stove inside the van? perhaps this isn't recommendable to do...

Morningstar said:
Wow! Thank you so much! very informative! I'm planning on going with solar, and electric just feels safer to me (maybe because I have had an electric cooktop for most of my life in my home anyway!) How much solar would I need? I'm definitely unfamiliar with solar technology... I was thinking like 3 solar panels and four batteries(?) to run a small car fridge and cook 1-2 meals a day on the stove.... maybe use a microwave once in a while.... 

Can you cook on a propane stove inside the van? perhaps this isn't recommendable to do...

With the right solar set up, look into induction cooking.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Induction-Cooking-the-kind-that-uses-magnets

As for the solar, I hope you have some time.

https://vanlivingforum.com/Forum-Electrical-Batteries-Generators-Solar

I really don't get why anyone wants to use an electric stove top. Even if you have adequate solar/battery setup, I just don't see the benefit in taxing your electrical system when propane is so easy to use off grid and not at all resource intensive. A microwave I almost get, for the perceived convenience, but I don't want one of those either, and I really don't want an electric stove top.

You can also use a propane stove top to heat with. Many people here do that as their primary heat source. Can't do that with electric.

You do need some amount of ventilation and common sense any time you're burning fuels in a closed space. It produces both CO and moisture which you don't want building up and you don't want to set yourself on fire. But this is manageable for anyone with common sense. Crack a window and don't stick your sleeve in the flame.

I use a Coleman propane 2 burner in the trailer that is parked on the land we own. Have a Coleman Propane Single burner and Trangia alcohol stove when I travel. Using propane from a 20# tank is cheap it cost me about $1 a month to cook.

We use a balance of electric, solar cooking and propane. Were I to have to pick one, it would be propane. It may be my least favorite and most expensive to run but it is also the most versatile and reliable.

Our larger solar system and bank can easily run the cook top, microwave, coffee pot and more. Along with the solar ovens we can cook anything in good weather without gas.

Then again in not so ideal conditions we use propane and save the electric for more basic functions. I love having a oven on a cool day. I'd rather slow roast a rack of ribs than run the furnace.

I have a microwave and wouldn't be without it!! But, like Jim aid, if it was one or the other for sure I would have the propane.

Right now I'm in Capital Reef NP and it's well below freezing and snowing and my Coleman 1 burner has me snug as a bug in a rug!!
Bob

Latest posts