Propane expansion?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theiznezz

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you can take off the onboard propane tanks on class b's  and replace them with larger  tanks or if there is a way to expand them maybe add on multiple ones. Anybody have experience with this?

I don't need specific instructions. Just want to know if it's possible and general info

You can have what's called an Extend-A-Stay inlet installed. This lets you hook up your choice of portable tanks in to the system.

I used 100 lb tanks this way when I was staying the winter in a Class A in Indiana - worked great for being able to run the furnace. The 100 lb tanks were a PITA to take in to have filled though :rolleyes:

Thanks. What about replacing them with a larger tank? Some of these vans I'm looking at only have 10lb onboard. I need like 30lb. Or more if it's reasonable. 100lbs are too heavy.

the only restriction to replacing them would be the space. if you have the space , sure you can replace them. highdesertranger

and $$$

those onboard tanks are not cheap like BBQ bottles

i bought a used 5.7 gallon RV tank used from a guy that does RV salvage to go in my bus conversion

Thanks for all the feed back guys! (And gals?) I'm getting ready to buy a new rig this year. Really have my eyes on a 90s xplorer but will see what happens. This will be my 3rd van so I have a ton of ideas I want to try.

Yup, you can. Check out a wrecker and, if you're lucky, there might be a propane powered vehicle with a tank you can salvage.

My travel trailer has 2 30# tanks on the front hitch that could be used remotely if I remove them for whatever reason. These are heavy, but can still be lugged around, and into the back of my pickup easier than the 100" 5' tall beast mentioned earlier.

The 20# tanks are more common, and even easier to handle. If I were going to "Winter" in one place, I would have multiple 20#, or 30# tanks (3 at least to prevent running out at a bad time).

Today in Tractor Supply store, I saw a 40# tank for $79.95, still easier to handle than the 100# tank.