Propane and Propane Accessories

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifted_Cowboy

Reaction score
On my way home from buying The Green Bean here I drug my propane regulator some miles. It's not in very good shape.

I cannot tell what size the propane tank is but the regulator was a helco 50 A.

What can I replace this with?

How do I test my system for safety and get this sweet machine bucking? I have a furnace, fridge, and oven stove. Just fill it up and sniff? The furnace was JUST installed prior to purchase and the new lines look spiffy and safe.

Any safety tips?

If you can read it, the regulator should have a pressure marked on it. Better solution: your frig and furnace should have labels identifying the input gas pressure. -- Spiff

Drifted_Cowboy said:
How do I test my system for safety and get this sweet machine bucking? I have a furnace, fridge, and oven stove. Just fill it up and sniff? The furnace was JUST installed prior to purchase and the new lines look spiffy and safe.

Any safety tips?

A professional technician could hook a pressure gauge up to the system and conduct a bleed down test - if the gauge is reading x psi, it should STILL be reading x psi when you come back in an hour or so.

Short of paying for something like that, each and every connection is hit with a soapy water solution and you look for bubbles. The stuff kids use for bubble blowing works great for this. Given the way that connections can work their way loose under vibration, smart rv'ers check all the connections once or twice a year with the soap solution.

I've read that under certain circumstances, the stuff added to lpg to give it that odor can be rendered ineffective, so I would not rely on a "sniff test".

Regards
John

LP regulator is standard for a portable or RV set-up and is available in any state that does not require a lic. for gas Tech........to test for leaks a pressure test is best or soapng all connections......you can also use a sniffer

good advice so far. a rv store can fix you up but might be pricey, should be able to find online much cheaper. if you do the leak down pressure test yourself keep in mind that as the ambient temp goes up and down during the day so will your pressure gauge. this is greatly magnified if what you are testing is in the sun. soap test works good but make sure you find all the fittings the one you miss could be trouble. highdesertranger