Problem with lights on Chevy Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akrvbob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a very good friend who lives in a Chevy Vandura 2500 and she is having problems with her lights. She asked me for advice and I didn't have an answer, so I am going to post it here for you experts to chime in. This is her question:<br><br><div style="padding-left: 30px;"><em>When I turn on the high beams my regular beams turn off. Then when I turn off my high beams my regular beams turn back on. I cant get both lights on at the same time. Or perhaps my regular beams turned off when I engaged my high beams. Just wondering if other people with my type of van have a similar problem? </em></div><br>That doesn't sound right to me, but the only Chevy van I have ever owned is my 2001 and the lights stay on it all the time, so I am no expert.<br><br>Any suggestions on if that is right or what the problem and fix might be?<br>Thanks Bob

A quick search shows that it's a common question for 88-99 Chevy/GM vehicles. They are designed to do this, but you can get aftermarket kits for under $20 that leaves the low beams on with high beams.

Haven't found a reasonably answer to why they did this (one place mentioned some cities/states have laws against 4 bulbs lit up front being illegal, doesn't seem like enough of a reason though)

<P>I have a 89 chevy pickup and it does that,its the way the were made,its normal.</P>

Hi Bob,<br><br>What year is the van?<br><br>On my 2002 suburban I am able to ground a specific wire, so the low and high beam work at the same time.<br><br>I find it very convenient, especially when in the boonies as you know.<br><br>I will try to do a search to see if it can be done with her van<br><br>Putz

Yes, normal. They are a higher watt bulb for brights, no need for dim bulbs to be on at same time. If you override this, it would be very blinding.

I believe this is the 2 headlight system. The common reason given for having the high and low beams not on at the same time is the temperature in the light. Having both on at the same time supposedly cuts down on bulb life. Don't know if it is true but that is the reason the manufacturer gives. Many people go to the aftermarket mod that allows both to run and say it has no effect. <br>-Bill-

Sounds like you have an answer for the lady, do you know that when idling a 2000+ chevy, you can set the parking brake, just enough so the dash tattle tail light comes on, and this will turn the headlights off, so you don't blind others that are parked nor draw more attention to your vehicle?

Latest posts