Primative Campgrounds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ikigai

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering for those that use campgrounds if you've ever encountered problems using "tent" or "primitive" sites.  If I don't need hookups the tent sites are often cheaper and more peaceful, but I worry someone will kick me out if I don't set up a tent.  Anyone have experiences to share in this regard?  Thanks!

Buy the cheapest tent you can find and set it up every time you camp in the tent area. Then, if you happen to fall asleep in your van or whatever probably no one will care.

I have always just carried a cheap little pop up tent. Many campgrounds require you have something set up to verify you are occupying the site and things like folding chairs and smaller get stolen. My tent is like the dash protectors with built in springy wire hoops and folds flat with just a twist of the wrists. I think it was made for children indoors, cost me $2 at a garage sale! I just set it out and throw something heavy in it to keep it from blowing away as it has a floor.

Some primitive tent sites are walk in only, some tent sites are their own loop, some places won’t let vehicle dwellers use tent sites.

Some federal campgrounds say “tents only”, and whether you can stay in a vehicle in a tent site may depend mostly on where the site is and if there is a ranger or camp host monitoring.

My bet would be the more popular campgrounds near heavy tourist locations are likely the most strict.

Just curious if they come around at night with a flashlight to see where you are sleeping?

When I camp hosted in the national forest, I enjoyed the vans because they were cleaner campers with less impact on the site.

However, some sites are best apreciated with a tent hidden back from the road, and are set up that way, with the flat spot at the end of the trail. You will want to bring some leveling pads for sloping parking spots.

Please do not make a road to a tent site that is walk in. Yes you have a winch and can move those logs and boulders. But don't. They have been placed to preserve the site and the plants and animals living there.
-crofter

Checking if you are sleeping in there would be impractical. What if you were in the outhouse, fishing or out viewing the night sky when they came by? Any number of reasons you might not be in the tent.

B and C said:
Checking if you are sleeping in there would be impractical.  What if you were in the outhouse, fishing or out viewing the night sky when they came by?  Any number of reasons you might not be in the tent.
Agree. The host is busy and once you have paid & ID provided you are good to go. If the neighbors complain, then the host will come back and sort it out. Otherwise, no further checking.
-crofter

I have no probs sleeping in my tent - love it. I usually set up everything in there anyway and it's where I spend most of my indoor time. The sites closest to me at the local CoE parks allow vehicles on the dry campsites so I set up my SUV tent and sleep in it while the rest of the stuff goes into the tent. Very comfy.

Cheers!

I'm not sure it would be worth it to me to set up a fake tent every time. I switched to sleeping under the stars or a tarp if it looked like rain for my camping style to avoid tent setup and take down...and well because the fresh air is nice. I suppose if I got one of the popup ones, that could maybe work.

I also use a seperate tent if it's more than an overnight. Less problems with having your site taken while you are out and about in the van. I use TSA locks to secure the tent just in case. I once had a tent broken into but turned out to be a mountain lion and not a two legged theif. 
-crofter

Lord, thank Heaven that the 4 legged thug wasn't still there when ya got back!

I never saw the lion, but it put in appearances to campers throughout the season. We were eventually posted by Fish & Game.

There was no actual food in the tent, but my dirty clothes were in there with food odors on them. Game & Fish thought it was a juvenile lion looking for new territory.

Now I use a large size dry bag for dirty clothes, which blocks odors.
-crofter

Or to find out if you tasted like CHICKEN! :D

I spent a good part of my life camping out of a canoe living by the boundary waters canoe area and with all the places to explore north of the border. So I acquired a tent or two and one in particular would serve this well. I love sleeping in a tent as does my dog. That said I would think a good hammock setup would be a great way to go also.
But in my journeys hauling canoes and kayaks coast to coast I found no problems with anyone spying to see if I set up a tent. In fact I always stayed in my truck cab... I had first the backseat area made into a bed. A friend made a platform where it bolted in the same spot as the seat. Then so I could stretch out a little better I have another section I take out the passenger seat. Now I have the whole six feet. But that is what I’ve stayed in several different types of campgrounds. But now resorting to a truck camper I built which negates the whole tent camping deal. Haha!
My point is I’ve never been bothered even in an rv campgrounds. Usually cause if anything the people want to check out the boats I have.

Ikigai said:
I'm not sure it would be worth it to me to set up a fake tent every time.  I switched to sleeping under the stars or a tarp if it looked like rain for my camping style to avoid tent setup and take down...and well because the fresh air is nice.  I suppose if I got one of the popup ones, that could maybe work.

I sleep in the van and leave windows and doors open. I've woken up with too many sleeping bags soaking wet from dew, especially near rivers and the ocean.

Because I tend to overstuff my van, if I'm staying for more than one or two nights, I find pitching a tent worthwhile.

Hi all,

I was wondering for those that use campgrounds if you've ever encountered problems using "tent" or "primitive" sites. If I don't need hookups the tent sites are often cheaper and more peaceful, but I worry someone will kick me out if I don't set up a tent. Anyone have experiences to share in this regard? Thanks!

years ago when I slept in the back of my truck., I set up a tent for no other reason then to wash up in, thus keeping any mess away from my sleeping area.

There are tent sites where you can park your car in the site and then there are tent sites where you park your car in a designated parking spot and walk into a place where you set up a tent.

So in the first situation you are generally not obligated to set up a tent and could sleep in your vehicle. In the second scenario you would need to set up a tent and sleep in it.

Often with the first scenario the sites are too small for large vehicles or vehicles towing a trailer. So there are often vehicle length limits posted for tent sites.

With a little experience you will get used to asking the right questions or looking for the right written statements of information about vehicles at the tent site.
As I have a very small travel trailer and a mini SUV towing it sometimes the camp host directs me to go into a site designated for tent camping as I can easily fit into it. They do not care if I put up a tent or not as long as I fit into the parking space. They certainly have never said I can’t sleep in my vehicle even when I had a short cargo van or a truck with a cap.