Pressure cooker bean recipies?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big YES to the lentils. I use 2.5 cups water to each cup of lentils and (in the pressure cooker) cook the for 3 minutes, remove from heat and let the pressure drop naturally. For me, beans, rice ,lentils and potatoes are kind of the same: they all make great "foundations" and take on the flavors of whatever spices etc ya add to them. Plus, they store well......and THEY'RE ALL CHEAP !!
KinA

My method for pressure cooking beans:

1.  I read in a test kitchen cook book that for the best results for cooked beans they should be brined in salt water and soaked for a long time.  I soak two cups of dried beans in a bowl of water with at least 1 tablespoon of salt.  The book recommends two tablespoons of salt because the chemical compound of salt reacts with the calcium in the bean shell to soften it.  Then I let them soak for 24 (yup 24) hours.

2.  I rinse the beans, but I suppose if water were scarce I could just drain them and put them in the pressure cooker.  Cover with water about an inch higher than the beans.  I season them at this time.  I like the way the canned bean brand Sun Vista pinto beans taste and they add salt and sugar plus some other things I can't remember right now.

3.  I bring the beans up to pressure and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.  By twelve minutes I usually have a nice gravy.  I let the pressure release naturally.  If the beans are not soft enough at this point, I just bring them back up to pressure and cook for another 5 minutes.

This method also works for the smallish garbanzo beans I get at the 99-cent store.

Tracy

heres mine

2 cups pinto's overnight soak dump water fill back up 8-10 cups of water
beef bouillon cubs less then whats called for so about enough for 6 cups
1 onion
diced garlic as much as you want
tbl spoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme,sage
handfull of parsley
1/4 teaspoon cayenne or a jalapeno or 2
1 chopped smoked sausage

light boil on wood stove for about 4 hours,and you would be amazed at how little heat it takes to keep a light boil

LivingandLearning said:
My method for pressure cooking beans:

1.  I read in a test kitchen cook book that for the best results for cooked beans they should be brined in salt water and soaked for a long time.  I soak two cups of dried beans in a bowl of water with at least 1 tablespoon of salt.  The book recommends two tablespoons of salt because the chemical compound of salt reacts with the calcium in the bean shell to soften it.  Then I let them soak for 24 (yup 24) hours.

2.  I rinse the beans, but I suppose if water were scarce I could just drain them and put them in the pressure cooker.  Cover with water about an inch higher than the beans.  I season them at this time.  I like the way the canned bean brand Sun Vista pinto beans taste and they add salt and sugar plus some other things I can't remember right now.

3.  I bring the beans up to pressure and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.  By twelve minutes I usually have a nice gravy.  I let the pressure release naturally.  If the beans are not soft enough at this point, I just bring them back up to pressure and cook for another 5 minutes.

This method also works for the smallish garbanzo beans I get at the 99-cent store.

Tracy

I figured out how to make the beans taste like Sun Vista!  After I soak them for a day, I put them in the pressure cooker covered by about 1/2 inch of water.  To this I add 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon sugar, then I sprinkle powdered garlic on the top (probably about 1/2 teaspoon).  I bring them to pressure and cook for 12 minutes.  These taste so great!  I eat them in a bowl, in a burrito, in a salad... YUM!

I don't own a pressure cooker yet. Such short cooking times sound great! I just have one question. Are the beans still whole when they are done? I boiled them too high one time and ended up with a pot of bean skins. I didn't like that. Usually I soak overnight then simmer for about an hour or more.

I'm sure its possible to do that with a pressure cooker if you leave them in too long. But all mine have come out exactly like I had used a regular pot, just in a a much shorter time.

Latest posts