Versatile 310 watt rice cooker

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Along the same lines as Jack's short boil rice recipe, I used to boil eggs in my rice cooker.

For hard boiled put however many eggs you want to make in a single layer (don't stack or pile them) and add cold water over them so there's an inch of water above the tops of the eggs. Add a pinch of salt and cover. Boil for three minutes then shut of without removing the lid let set for 15 min.

This is for large eggs. If you have smaller eggs experiment with slightly less time.

If you can spare it, having a bowl of ice water ready after the 15 min makes them really easy to peel. One by one quickly take them out of the hot water knock them to crack the shells. Then put them in the cold water. I learned this all from a Julia Child rerun years ago. If you like warm boiled eggs (not cold) just let them be in the cold water for 30 sec then take them out.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

That's how I keep from overcooking my own hard-boiled eggs on a regular stovetop, pretty much. Make sure they're well covered with water, bring it to the boil, then let them sit on the burner until cool. Means you can't use the cold water trick, though, so peeling is still a nightmare. But none of those green-rimmed, sulphur-tasting yolks anymore.

Sometimes this actually slightly undercooks the yolks, which is actually a plus in my book. But a minute or two at full boil can easily fix that if, say, you want the yolks completely cooked through.

Of all the ways I’ve tried to do hard boiled eggs, pressure cooking them is hands down my favorite. The cooking part is no faster, but the peeling part? You’ll save time and aggravation. Google for detailed info.

On topic - if you like your rice cooker, don’t miss Roger Ebert’s book and blog about it. Yes, Roger’s gone but the blog was still up last I checked.

Ok Jack, I tried your method for cooking rice, and by golly, it works. It's not quite as brainless as using a rice cooker, but almost.

I used to always make rice the way my Guamanian grandfather taught my grandma to make it, the Spanish way, where you superheat the raw rice in a little oil, and when everybody is opaque and hot, you pour in boiling water and cover it and turn the flame way low. Makes every grain separate. However, I got tired of burning the rice when I got involved in something else, so I got a rice cooker. Doesn't make every grain separate, which I prefer, but I don't burn it at least. Only thing I don't like about rice cookers or that they all have Teflon. I have gotten rid of all my pots and pans that have Teflon or Teflon like coatings. Everything is stainless or cast iron, except the rice cooker.

Now with Jack's method, I can make rice without Teflon or burning. That is TERRIFIC! Thanks, Jack!

Latest posts