Ozark trail 2 burner propane cooktop troubleshooting help?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I re read my post. Assume a tire pump. It cannot inflate the tire unless there is a post in the nozzle that depresses the pin inside the valve stem. In the event that this stove ALSO has a ball bearing and spring assembly inside the fitting then if the system is pressurized it would hold said pressure until the ball bearing was depressed to release it. I do not think that is the case however if it is drilling out that spring and ball bearing assembly keeping the exterior brass fitting intact as well as the following copper tubing run intact there should be no issues adapting the new regulator assembly onto it while using teflon or pipe dope should pose no risk assuming the pressure is the same as it was before right?

that's a lot of hassle for a 40 buck stove. why not just get a new regulator assembly? highdesertranger

I agree but I have this stove. And I'd hate to junk it. I plan to build out a travel trailer on a a popup camper frame. Also id hate to believe that my annual cost for cooking includes a $40 stove, a $10 more or less bulk tank adapter, and potentially more if I include a filter in the build.

$50 a year isnt an insurmountable figure. But $50 for the next 5-10 years sounds like a much more achievable goal. Assuming this obstacle can be resolved. CRVL. Emphasis on cheap.

Also I hate to throw anything away. I grew up dirt poor. Everything has value. If it's no longer useful as a stove then maybe it can be XYZ etc.

I dont want to be the modern man it doesnt work?! Trash it! Type of guy.

Maybe it's a character flaw in myself. But I want to ride it into the ground until it is no longer capable of being useful.

"I know there was a change at some point and super old tanks are not exchangable."

True, except when the place with the exchange cage does not care|know enough to check the old tank before the swap.

One should not do something so reprehensible.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look at my regulator soon and see if I can disassemble it. That might be a simple fix. Although I'm suspicious as mine is still supplying gas unlike the instructable case. Mine is now leaking.

RE: The exchange this one wasnt a super old one. It was exchangeable. The super old ones had I believe a round shaped gas on off knob. The newer style has a triangular shaped knob. When I worked in retail that's what we were trained to do. To not accept an exchange with a round knob. Only triangle shaped knobs. And as such only a few employees were allowed to have the keys to the cage.

I can't speak for the retailer that will not accept the old style valves on the LP tanks, but it IS acceptable (and perfectly OK) to return an old tank with a non-OPD valve knob as a 'core' exchange on a newer tank. I don't own any more of the old style tanks, but when I did, I simply exchanged them for new ones back when the new standards became law. They were in decent shape, and presumably the companies simply replaced the old valve and re-certified the tanks.

The exchange program is a good way to get those old valves out of circulation, and out of use by the public.

From the Blue Rhino webpage:

"What's this thing about the shape of the handwheel?

To enhance consumer safety from overfilled tanks, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has enacted code 58-2.3.1.5. In summary, the code states that tanks without OPDs can no longer be refilled by anyone. OPDs have triangular handwheels. All other tanks are obsolete and cannot be refilled - but you can upgrade your obsolete tank by exchanging it for a Blue Rhino tank.

For further assistance, please call our Customer Care Center at 1.800.BLU.RINO."

Wow. That's interesting because it was blue rhino that we stocked. It's a well known retail establishment. We had a few tanks sitting around with round "handwheels" (that's a dumb name. Haha.) And the manager said if we took one of those in it was gross misconduct and a termination offense. They said blue rhino woukdnt accept them and you basically gave away a free tank and that's why youd be fired and unrehireable under gross misconduct.

Sometimes those store managers don't know their backside from a hole in the ground. I got cross-ways with several of them over the years.

Sorry to be so blunt but I think this manager was full of himself, and never actually checked.

Of course it could be that a couple of older tanks that DID come in were rusted out and dented, etc, so in order to stop that, he just made up a new rule, or maybe something was said to him about it later on...who knows.

Blue Rhino has to take into account as part of their pricing that they are going to get tanks that can't be recertified. Part of the reason they are high priced for what you get. I refill my tanks here at the S&B's all the time. When they go out of date I swap them for a blue rhino tank. Even with a not completely full tank and a newer tank, it is still cheaper for me to do it this way instead of buying my own tank.

tx2sturgis said:
Sometimes those store managers don't know their backside from a hole in the ground. I got cross-ways with several of them over the years.
I think we are talking about the same retail establishment.  :p 

Yeah often that's the case but I vaguely remember an official sign with a round handwheel with a red X and a triangular one with a check mark.

Even still. I have turned down free round ones in the past because of this. When I run out next time I might visit tractor supply and refill it there. I think that is cheaper. As it stands I have a full blue rhino and a potentially partly full blue rhino now. I have replaced the hose and bought a 97 cent meat injector to see if I cant get more life from the faulty one.

Also I checked my regulator and it DOES in fact have the same hex nut fitting one the inlet as the instructable but I havent torn it apart yet. I'm using wood atm. No regulator necessary. XD

XERTYX said:
I think we are talking about the same retail establishment.  :p 

Yeah often that's the case but I vaguely remember an official sign with a round handwheel with a red X and a triangular one with a check mark.

The next time I'm there I will look for that sign or label....I am curious me-own-self. It could have to do with the age of the tanks by now....any tank with a non-OPD valve should be way past it's 'expiration date'...

Of course, Blue Rhino under-fills the tanks, and has gone to a proprietary valve (called TS2) on some of their tanks, so I tend to avoid those unless I'm traveling and just HAVE to do an exchange.

IIRC Blue Rhino got in trouble for those propriety valves and had to change them to universal valves. It seems it had to do with people turning in a tank that could be filled anywhere for one that couldn't. I could be wrong on this as my memory ain't what it used to be:p

B and C, I heard the same thing about the Blue Rhino valves. I have never used an exchange tank place, that's like paying for 10 gallons of gas and only getting 8. highdesertranger

HDR, but you get a newer certified tank that can be refilled until it expires. So you may only get 8 gallons but in comes in a newer gas tank. IDK how much a new empty tank is anymore. I'm thinking in the $30 range. That will buy quite a bit of propane.

They built quite a business on that model. I think most people just exchange them not knowing they are not getting a "full" one and it is convenient.

B and C said:
They built quite a business on that model.  I think most people just exchange them not knowing they are not getting a "full" one and it is convenient.
Convenience sells. This 'Murica. Home of the lazy. And malinformed. 

Besides all that time wasted talking to the guy at tractor supply or ace hardware jeez! Haha. The attitude is just swap it and go. And when it breaks throw it away and buy a new one. And look and see if they have any more expensive new ones. Cuz if it costs twice as much it must be twice as good right?

Sigh. Thats the world we live in.

Remember when we made stuff that lasted a lifetime (or more)? Looking at this antique fan that still works and weighs a ton. Not anymore, disposable society and cheap is better. You get to keep buying the same thing over and over.