Pressure cooker bean recipies?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
I'm not sure why, but I can't seem to cook beans and end up with something that isn't still crunchy...

My understanding was to adapt to a slow cooker, throw 1lb of dry beans into a pot of roiling boiling water, stir two minutes, turn off heat, let cool, discard water. Then add fresh water, bring to a simmer, cover, build pressure for ten minutes, turn off heat, let sit for an hour while pressure dissipates.

Following that method they turn out crunchy though. What are you guys doing with beans and your pressure cooker? Also, how do you season them?

Looks like I have reason to live as cheaply as possible for a while, so I need to perfect my rice and beans. :D

I don't pressure cook beans but I can tell you that the way to get the beans soft in the slow cooker is to use a teaspoon of baking soda in the soak water and cook on low overnight.

The baking soda neutralizes the water so that the beans soften.

I find it best to soak them over night, drain, and start with fresh water.

LeeRevell said:
Soak beans overnight, then cook for a few hours in a SLOW cooker, not a pressure cooker - two different appliances.

I hope you've got plenty of power to run that SLOW cooker. The HUGE advantage of a PRESSURE cooker is it cooks fast and takes NO power.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I hope you've got plenty of power to run that SLOW cooker. The HUGE advantage of a PRESSURE cooker is it cooks fast and takes NO power.
Bob

Yes, this is why I'm using the pressure cooker.

I soak brown beans (pinto beans) over night and discard this water. This will also help with the side effects beans may cause!

Add Streak O Lean or some bacon to pot first and cook for a few minutes.

Instead of water I use a box or 2 of beef broth.  Bring to a boil then turn heat down and slow simmer for 4 to 6 hours.

I am going to buy a pressure cooker for when I have to move into my van this winter and hope it will cut the simmer time way down.

Don't know how I will bake the cornbread to go with the beans yet!
A SEEKER

Here's an example I do often in my 6qt. PRESSURE cooker: soak 5 cup beans in 11 cups water overnight. Drain. Add 6 cups water, place on lid and "rocker". Turn heat to high till rocker starts jiggling. Reduce heat about 1/4-1/3 and maintain jiggling for 6 minutes. Turn off heat and wait for pressure to release naturally (takes10-15 minutes). Then EAT BEANS.
You can add salt/spices/tomatoes/onions/cheese to taste....even cover with spaghetti sauce. Or, use them in a soup or tacos or burritos etc etc.
The leftovers freeze well.
KinA

P.S. You can also make corn meal mush (like you do with oatmeal) and just pour beans over it if ya can't "bake" .

I also used a 6 quart pressure cooker, but I'm pretty sure my recipe called for 20 minutes under pressure then turn it off and let it cool. I think you are just not cooking them long enough.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I also used a 6 quart pressure cooker, but I'm pretty sure my recipe called for 20 minutes under pressure then turn it off and let it cool. I think you are just not cooking them long enough.
Bob

Bob, maybe that's 20 minutes with NO pre-soaking. 
I've cooked 10's of pounds over the years and the (1) PRE-SOAK overnite and then (2) cook for 6 minutes is tried and true.......
KinA

Ken in Anaheim said:
Bob, maybe that's 20 minutes with NO pre-soaking. 
I've cooked 10's of pounds over the years and the (1) PRE-SOAK overnite and then (2) cook for 6 minutes is tried and true.......
KinA

Sorry about that, my memory must be faulty.
Bob

But how is the broth after cooking for that short of a time? I love a good thick pot of beans, like I have the third or fourth time it's reheated. That last bowl you sigh and say, 'it was just getting good!'

LeeRevell said:
Yep, you can't cook beans 'too long'.    :cool:

Actually, you can cook beans too long! I've managed to do it at least once... :rolleyes:

That's when you end up with something that more closely resembles refried beans than beans.

A discussion about one of my favorite foods.I don't know how long Vic cooks them in the pressure pot,but it must be at least 20 minutes.This is after soaking a few hours.IMO the key to good beans is a big chunk of fatback or side meat.Then some chow-chow to eat with them.Dang,I'm going to go put some on to soak.

I blame this thread! LOL! I made a pot of Boston Bake Beans yesterday in the crock pot - white beans, brown sugar, molasses, cloves, salt pork, one diced onion, liquid smoke (hickory). I had TWO BOWLS of it for dinner!

Latest posts