Power Windows and Locks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Power Windows and Locks

Look for power windows and locks when selecting a van for urban stealth dwelling.

I have a 1996 Ford Club Wagon which has power locks and the driver and passenger windows are powered.

These power features were useful recently when I parked in a dangerous area.

After turning off the motor, all of the locks in the van are unlocked automatically so it is imperative that the first thing to do is to lock the doors again.

My doors were locked and I was sitting in the passenger seat, which is turned around facing the living area - but this did not give me a view of people approaching on the sidewalk from behind me. Two men happened to see me as they passed because I had the window half way down. They smiled and stopped and demanded my phone. One man put his back against the middle door and the other reached into the van trying to get to the lock in order to get in. Fortunately this van has front lock stems that are almost flush with the door so the man couldn't open it that way. The window had one of those pull down shades, which I recommend because for $5 per window a lot of privacy is gained and light is blocked out. I reached down and pushed the up button on the window and the man's hand was pushed up until he pulled it out. I closed the window and then lowered it an inch and asked,

"What?", as if I didn't hear their demand for my phone. The man in my window laughed and said,

"Forget it", and they both walked off laughing.

I now set the alarm as soon as possible when parking because so many questionable people live in this area.

Having spent years doing van camping in a campground, I found that urban van camping is in some ways easier but much more dangerous.

I had most of my valuables stolen from a previous van, but now I have a big steel storage box for my computer and everything else I want to keep with me. The storage box is the kind used on construction sites with two locks and is bolted down behind the driver's seat.

I also leave the key in the ignition while I am inside so that I can turn on the engine at a moment's notice. If the alarm is on when the engine is turned on, the alarm will go off, which is good because it is alarming and all doors will lock at the same time.

There are items at hand's reach, such as a long screwdriver, an awl, and other sharper things available if necessary to discourage intruders. I am also less likely to open the windows to talk to people who try to engage me in conversation, such as homeless people asking for spare change. The non-powered windows are better for casual conversation in an unsafe environment.

If doors are left open for ventilation, they should be locked.

You should always have a spare key around your neck when leaving the van for any reason. Don't leave a key in the ignition if you leave the van. Any passengers should know and follow locking and window control procedures to ensure safety.

Stealth is the best defense because it can help you avoid most problems, but adequate use of power windows and locks is necessary in a dangerous environment.

You've raised some very good points.  But also be aware of the downside.

I recently rolled my passenger power window down while sitting at an intersection, the better to see what might be coming from that direction.  When I went to roll it up, nothing happened.

A power window that won't go up severely compromises your safety and security, as well as making the vehicle uncomfortable to unlivable in inclement weather.

Parts aren't always immediately available, and they can be expensive to fix.  The older the vehicle, the more likely you are to have problems.  Manual window cranks aren't totally problem free, but they're less likely to give you problems than old, corroded electrical components.

Regards
John

Power locks are an asset in my mind. Anybody that didn't like you, could stick a tooth pick into your vehicle's locks, snap it off, and you're hooped..

I'm not sure I agree with this. I would rather have both manual windows and locks. That way I know all of my doors are locked at all times.

I lounge in my house portion, never in a front seat, and my windows in the house portion open out at the bottom and pretty much prevent anyone from reaching in very far. They can reach the door locks on both the side doors and the rear doors though, so I have slide locks farther down to secure them if someone does manage to get the normal locks open. I have similar slide locks on both front doors too, so if I'm in the van, they'll literally have to come through a window to get in, because they won't get a door open. If I leave the van, only a single door will have the slide lock in the unlocked position.

Unless I'm actually driving, I NEVER open my front windows farther than just a crack.

Both my vans have electric windows and door locks, though the Grand Caravan only has a key lock on the driver's side door. PITA when the system goes down periodically. I then have to disconnect the battery for ten minutes to reset it. The 1988 E150 has key locks on all doors. The electric doesn't work on the side cargo doors and rear door. Bummer.
The power windows on the E150 are faulty, and the driver's side has screwed up gears. Motor works fine. I do have the new parts though, so will fix them in time.
Point is, electrics fail eventually. But they are mighty convenient when they do work.
If that feller was trying to jack my van, in two seconds he'd be staring down the barrel of my Colt .45 pistol. :go ahead, make my day." :)
Yes, I am legal. Florida's "Castle Doctrine" applies to our vehicles.

Both power and manual seem to have their drawbacks. From a safety perspective, if your car is being submersed in water you can roll down a manual, whereas power windows likely won't work. Them jamming has already been mentioned. Also, if I want to roll down the driver's side window just a crack to speak with someone, some power windows automatically roll the driver's side window down all the way.

Automatic locks can also be hacked.

Then again, automatic also has its plusses, as has been mentioned already.

I personally feel leaving the keys in the ignition is a really bad idea. If someone sees keys in the ignition I think they'll be more likely to target my van. I always keep my keys within arm's reach, and if I'm in a particularly shifty area at a bad time I'll literally keep my keys in my hand or on my lap. This is the result of multiple experiences where someone was trying to break in and stopped when they saw me climb into the driver's seat and put the keys in the ignition. So, while i definitely feel the urgency to do this task ASAP at a moment's notice, I handle it a bit differently.

electronic bs has a habit of failure when you need it most. frankly I wouldn't be in an area where I was depending on an electronic doodad for safety. highdesertranger

Another problem with some electronic systems, and it shows on my Grand Caravan, is the auto opening/closing doors. It's a nice convenience if you have your hands full, just hit the fob button and the door slides open, or the rear hatch lifts up. Nice.....
Until that time when the fob in your pocket gets a button pressed without your knowing it, and your van is sitting overnight with the side door wide open...... BTDT! Fortunately not in public..... yet!
Luckily the rear hatch does have it's own key lock, so using the auto feature is not necessary.
I also found, the first time I camped in the GC, the side and rear doors when opened were triggering the flasher lights! Not good when exiting the van at midnight for a toilet run, and not wanting to bother other campers! :(
But fortunately this 'feature' can be deactivated on the overhead computer panel, along with a few others.
Makes me appreciate the much simpler system on the '88 E150 Conversion Van.

Bitty said:
Both power and manual seem to have their drawbacks. From a safety perspective, if your car is being submersed in water you can roll down a manual, whereas power windows likely won't work.

Bitty, probably a valid point, but, honestly, I figure I've got a better chance of being hit by a meteorite.  Nevertheless, the Maglite flashlight I keep in my car has a glassbreaker taillight cap on it.  X Cape Cap 

Partly for emergency escapes, and partly because I think it will make the Maglite more effective as an emergency defense tool.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, you could easily get by with a LifeHammer

Regards
John

highdesertranger said:
electronic bs has a habit of failure when you need it most.  frankly I wouldn't be in an area where I was depending on an electronic doodad for safety.  highdesertranger

Agree totally.  The original poster needs to move.  He's lucky the two guys in his reported incident didn't just smash the glass with a rock and drag him out through the broken window.

Regards
John

LeeRevell said:
Another problem with some electronic systems, and it shows on my Grand Caravan, is the auto opening/closing doors.  It's a nice convenience if you have your hands full, just hit the fob button and the door slides open, or the rear hatch lifts up.  Nice.....
Until that time when the fob in your pocket gets a button pressed without your knowing it, and your van is sitting overnight with the side door wide open......    BTDT!  Fortunately not in public.....  yet!  

I've never owned a vehicle with such a gimcrack, but my brother's latest car has one.  We've found the trunk open twice, and he's set the horn/alarm off on numerous occasions.  And he never touched the damn fob, it was just in his pocket.

If I ever get a vehicle that comes with this nonsense, I'll kill it by pulling a fuse, or cutting a wire, or something . . .

Regards
John

I did not like the auto-opening trunk on a Chevy rental, but, I do like the ability to open the right side window on my Dodge van with out the ridiculous stretch.

has been many times when sitting at work near a window that my car alarm starts going off. usually because I am sitting on the keys, and the panic alarm button is pressed.

maybe important to know how to pop the door cover apart, so you can push the window back up, if you need to. even if the motor is broken, you can usually do that.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Bitty, probably a valid point, but, honestly, I figure I've got a better chance of being hit by a meteorite.  Nevertheless, the Maglite flashlight I keep in my car has a glassbreaker taillight cap on it.  X Cape Cap 

Partly for emergency escapes, and partly because I think it will make the Maglite more effective as an emergency defense tool.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, you could easily get by with a LifeHammer

Interesting...hundreds of people die each year in submerged vehicles, how many from meteorites? Sure, it's statistically rare, but comparing it to the chance of a meteorite hit is hardly accurate.

The two emergency punches you've suggested operate on your own power, which assumes that 1) you have a well-functioning arm and hand to use it (directly after a crash?) and 2) that you can swing it through air. Attempting to swing things through water quickly doesn't work so well. For that, I'd suggest a spring-loaded punch would be your best shot, though still not nearly as reliable as a manual roll-down window.

And why yes, I can manually roll down a window with my feet. :p

Now, because everything is power and motors I drain the battery in two days, just being parked.
It seems like a lot of effort to keep one of my three batteries purposefully charged. I keep my vehicles so long, all of it will break. I like manual. This vehicle is just what I got a good deal on.
Living near the water, the secret with power: put your window down BEFORE going over that bridge.
But the number one secret to saving your life is: KEEP A KEY AROUND YOUR NECK.

Bitty said:
Interesting...hundreds of people die each year in submerged vehicles, how many from meteorites? Sure, it's statistically rare, but comparing it to the chance of a meteorite hit is hardly accurate.

OK, You've got me there, although, honestly, I can't remember the last time I heard about something like that around here.  I wonder if they break those statistics down by state?  I could see it being way more prevalent in states that have coastlines, as opposed to, say, Oklahoma.

The two emergency punches you've suggested operate on your own power, which assumes that 1) you have a well-functioning arm and hand to use it (directly after a crash?) and 2) that you can swing it through air. Attempting to swing things through water quickly doesn't work so well. For that, I'd suggest a spring-loaded punch would be your best shot, though still not nearly as reliable as a manual roll-down window.

True about the LifeHammer, but people who've used the Mag Lite with X Cape Cap say all you've got to do is put the point on the glass and lean on it.

And why yes, I can manually roll down a window with my feet. :p

I can't, I'm too big and clumsy.  So my back-up plan is to blow the windshield out with my Glock. :)

Regards
John

manual windows are still available on many vehicles. it's just not many are bought that way. the power windows with the cable regulators or the stupid plastic track can indeed be moved up and down by hand when they fail, these are usually found on cheaper vehicles. however the ones with the arm type regulators cannot be moved by hand if the motor goes out unless you remove the motor. highdesertranger

I was quite surprised to find that my 2002 GMC Savana came with manual windows and door locks.

I miss the power door locks somewhat but since they worked when they wanted to which was sporadically on the Montana I drove for 2 years, I don't miss the nonsense of never knowing if the doors were all locked properly. I lock em, I unlock em... :)

I do miss not being able to open the passenger side window from the drivers seat...sigh!

ccbreder said:
I did not like the auto-opening trunk on a Chevy rental, but, I do like the ability to open the right side window on my Dodge van with out the ridiculous stretch.

Ditto with the passenger side window. That is the only thing I miss from power windows.

I had a Volvo where the power windows were almost impossibe to open just an inch or two. Something my 97 Dodge Caravan power windows did easily.

Latest posts