Power Converter Outage ????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ice_maiden

Reaction score
Ok I'll try to make this explanation as short as possible... I have a 36ft 5th and a 20 ft Minnie Winnie on my own land.... so both are on shore power.

I like the Minnie Winnie best.... so I awoke in the middle of the night, last night, with no power (fan stopped)..checked and 5th still had power... so something has gone out in the Minne....Middle of the night fix, ran an extension cord for the fan and went back to bed.

Now it's morning and I am ready to fix the Minnie....the power up to the Minnie is less than two years old so I don't think the problem is the breaker and it didn't feel spongy...The breaker box in the Minnie was just completely redone about 4 years ago and those breakers feel ok and the fuses are good.

A couple of nights ago I heard a mild hum around the breaker box area which I figured was the converter....but I didn't think much of it because the converter on my 5th always does that....

Anyways am I right in thinking if the converter goes out... I lose ALL power... even on shore power.

I can do straight AC ... it's when you throw in 12v that kind of confuses me lol

Oh forgot ... the minnie is OLD... it's a 78 and I don't have a battery in it.... it's been running on shore and converter with no battery

The inverter may be the culprit many are fused sometimes hard to find locations, get a simple tester like a fluke that beeps.

The converter provides 12v for the RV 12v loads as well as charging the batteries. The batteries should power the 12v loads for a while.

Can you check the voltage of the battery bank. It is likely very low. Is there a difference in the voltage if you plug the RV into shore power? The voltage should rise as soon as you plug in.

That is a simple test for the converter. The thing is you are also out of 120v too correct? The converter has nothing to do with the 120v outlets aside from the fact they both need 120V to function. That leaves how the power gets into the RV and where it comes from. Are you sure the outlet the power comes from is still live? Check all cord ends to make sure they are all tight and have not melted. Can you plug into the 5th wheels outlet to see if there is a difference?

So unless a plug has loosened up, a fuse/breaker is popped or a wire feeding to the power center of the RV, I think you have a supply issue rather than a RV issue. Can you tell us how the Winnie is plugged in?

Thanks jimindenver I think you maybe answered my question... If my converter went out I should still have power to the outlets even if all my 12v lights are out.... because I am on shore right.

This thing is old (1978) so no gauges or meters for the battery supply or tanks. Just a few toggle switched to turn on the water pump and such. Beside I don't have a battery in it.

I have checked the main breaker box for both the houses and I have checked all the plugs and wires to the rv... it would take a hellva a lot to melt that 8ga cable (could be done) so I don't think I have any issues there .... Guess I will go to walmart and buy a volt tester and see if the outside outlet is getting power.... the girl in me just has a problem sticking things in outlets lol....

Will post back after I have done that

Do you have a RV style plug at the outlet? Do you need to use some sort of a adapter between the outside box and the RV's cord?

remembered I had a volt meter....I am getting 120v to the RV power cord so the supply side is good....and I have checked that cord and it doesn't show to have a problem... it is 8ga and is still supple and flexible with no cracks or breaks.....

It seems to me it almost has to be the converter even though I don't have 120v.... is it possible it has to have the converter for the 120v to work also.... could it be wired that way?

you need to trace the power from where it comes from. keep checking until you find where it stops. I agree it's not the converter. highdesertranger

Okay, you have power at the cord. Good

There is always the main breaker for the RV, In fact throw and reset all of the breakers.

Those old conveters sometimes use the battery as part of the load regulation and filtering on the 12 volt side. This might explain the buzzing sounds.

Your un-connected battery cables...are you 100% sure they have not come into contact with the frame, any loose battery brackets, or each other?

Ok 2am update..... A tank of gas and 6 hours of driving... I now have my ac electric side back on ... the culprit wound up being the inside breaker box which has now been completely replaced ... since this is a 1978... original equipment was not an option....but what is in there now is actually better than before... It got too late to get the 12v hooked in but for me that is mainly lights and I had already installed a lot of ac LEDs so I am good for now... will probably have the 12v reconnected next week but for now my fridge is back on, my A/C/heater works, all my plugs work and I have lights.... Life is Golden..... Thanks for all the help everyone.

Good deal and I bet you know a lot more about those systems now than you thought you would.

Many of those old converters had built-in breaker box (for AC) and fuse box (for DC). So they may have done a full replacement, modern "drop in" replacements are made. You can also just replace the converter section, that's what I did. (To get a better one, the old one still worked.)

Latest posts