Pots and Pans for Solar Oven

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayakGirl

Reaction score
I found some great thin aluminum pans that I will paint black to use in a solar oven (when I make one), however, I do not want to have the food cooked ON the aluminum. Does anyone have experience using a glass bowl inside the painted aluminum?

I thought so, too, as what I have read says to use thin metal, but again, I just don't want my food in contact with aluminum. I am going to try your idea of painted glass and see how it goes, maybe leaving it in the sun sans the oven, just to experiment. Thanks so much for your input and good luck with your "cooker"! Looking forward to hearing about your results.

Turkey bags can be used in a solar oven and this time of the year will be going on sale.

I've just searched thrift stores and yard sales for black pots and pan and have found all I need. The speckle-ware are common and I have a lot of them.

Something I use more than anything else is Glad Plastic oven safe bake ware. They work extremely well and fit my GSO perfectly. The handles on the 13x9 are a little wide so I cut them off with scissors. Amazon sells them:
http://www.amazon.com/Glad-Storage-Containers-OvenWare-Ounce/dp/B000EG7DGY/

Bob

Thank you Bob. I am so leary of cooking with plastic, but it doesn't sound like there is a good alternative to keep the food away from it though; except the speckle ware, but then there's clean up. Am I too hard to please? LOL. Off the check out the stuff on Amazon. Thanks for the link!

ok you don't want your food in aluminum or plastic. I understand that, but then you want to paint the cookware, I don't understand that. I myself would rather cook in aluminum than a painted pot even if was just on the outside, you are going to heat that paint up to at least 350 degrees maybe more then it's going to off gas. why not just use cast iron it's great for cooking and it's dark in color. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

Actually cast iron works really well, you just have to put it in and preheat it first because it takes a long time to pass the heat through to the food otherwise.
Bob

Althoughi am not off grid at present when i was in my campervan i used a Lodge cast iron pan from Amazon its really good ,as mentioned it takes a while to heat up but the 15inch version allows you to cook a full meal in one go .
Roy

I have found granite ware pans to work amazing in the solar oven. A double stacking set came with my oven and has a granite ware lid. It is about the size of a two 2 quart casseroles. They are light and super easy to wash up. I can cook veggies in one and meat in the other. I usually throw a couple quart jars in to warm up water for tea or cleaning. I also use the chicken roaster size that has a lid. It barely fits but is great to cook a cake or roast or chicken. Best baked potatoes in the world- just wash, prick and throw in the pan.

Latest posts