Possible Solar Panel Assistance !!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spark

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm in the Tampa Bay ( northern Pinellas county)...
Bought a Solar Panel.. I have an econoline 150 and could use. Some help seting it up on the van.. anyone in the area have the knowledge and time .. any assistance would be helpful!!!
PM me please if possible..
Thanks
Spark

I had the solar installed the first time, after I saw how it was done I realized it was not "that" difficult. 
The last time I used the "Z" brackets & flat mounted them (this is on an RV). Putty under the brackets, screwed then to the roof, Dicor self leveling sealant around the mount pads & over the screw heads. 

Deciding where the batteries are going, where the solar controller is going to be mounted & how to route the wires took the serious thinking.

When I put solar on my '86 Ford van I mounted the batteries & controller inside towards the back (pass side) to balance my weight in the drivers seat (probably didn't make any difference). 
For the first few months I did not have the panel mounted, I moved the panel around outside. I made 2 connectors (mc4 to male extension cord end & another with the female end. You NEED to pay attention to make sure that (+) on the panel connected to (+) on the controller). One went on the panel & the other was at the mppt controller, I used my extension cord between them. The measured voltage drop thru the extension cord was only one tenth of a volt. 
I leaned the panel against the corner of my van, one end for in the morning & the other end for in the afternoon. I moved the panel before I went to sleep so it would start charging with the first light of the morning. The cord that connected to the controller fit under my closed rear door. This set up worked well for me while I was camped in the Quartzsite area that winter.

You'll probably find someone who has done this before to help you down in the Tampa area.   I don't know your restrictions... got to be in your home area & things like that. 

But if all else fails the 2nd & 3rd week in October Cuzzen Dick (he is on the vandweller list & the vandweller facebook groups) is having the Fall SE GTG up at Tumbling Creek, Copper Hill, TN. There are always people at that who'll help with things like this.  
(This is not a huge gathering, maybe 2 to 8 or 10 vandwellers at the most over the 2 weeks)

It looks like we're going to make it again this year!

Wow thats awesome.!... Funny was just making plans to go to Asheville first 2 weeks of. October .. That would.  Work out have to be back the end of month .then will be too cold to go north again .. Haha.. Florida blood

Hello , I am in northeast St. Pete . I will try to figure out how to send a PM . I can probably help you .

grandpa pete said:
Hello , I am in northeast St. Pete . I will try to figure out how to send a PM . I can probably help you .

Look forward to talking later this morning got your message!!!

grandpa pete said:

grandpa pete,

I left message on the solar forum about getting help with my solar. I currently have 200w Renogy with charge controller which I installed myself and it works fine. I want to expand with another 200w panel, inverter and fuses. I am not confident to do it myself. Would you be able to help? I am in Bradenton/Sarasota area and would gladly drive up to St Pete. I haven't ordered the new equipment yet, so it would be 2 to 3 weeks before I have it. Thanks

Latest posts