Possible bus find. Advice please.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltySeaWitch

Reaction score
Okay. I found a mini bus locally through a mechanic friend of mine. it's been sitting a couple of years but has been moved occasionally. I was looking for a diesel but this one is gas which I am not opposed because it's cheap and has a 350 engine so I know lots of people to help me work on those.

The bus is a 1985 Chevy G30. 350 engine with 4 something? I forget what my mechanic said, sorry. He said it's a good engine. It is an automatic. A little light surface rust on drivers door but it's solid. 1 cracked window and the passenger long door has a crack line in it at bottom (I can get these). It has 64k miles on odometer. Was painted white which is now peeling. It's filthy dirty from sitting and has lots of junk in it right now. Seats are out except one passenger seat and the drivers seat which saves me some work. No leaks. It is currently being used for storage of parts. Everything was dry and it was pouring rain when I looked inside it. The guy said he bought it for storage and had planned to sell the motor and transmission but never got around to pulling it. He was asking $1200 but will take $1000 for it. Tires all had air in them and looked decent but im sure they are old as can be and will need replaced before a long trip. I do not have pictures because it was really raining hard and muddy out there. Battery was dead so I am going back on Saturday to make sure it runs etc.

My question is do you think this is a good price? Any comments and/or advice about this or Chevy G30 in general? Any helpful advice is appreciated. I am bringing my mechanic to test drive it before buying. He said he will need to clean old gas out and go through it all after I buy it but he has heard this bus run before and thinks its sound. I do trust him since he works on my stuff free so he has no gain in getting to fix my bus since I rarely if ever pay him to work on my cars as is.

Any idea how the gas mileage would be on this?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Look up the price of tires before you fall in love with it. 

85 g30 should get ok mileage.  10 mpg average.  

It sounds like a great platform to work with.

GotSmart said:
Look up the price of tires before you fall in love with it. 

85 g30 should get ok mileage.  10 mpg average.  

It sounds like a great platform to work with.

I forgot to look at tire size. Hopefully someone has an idea of cost.

If they are 16.5 inch tires, then factor in the cost of new rims too. 16.5's are not made any more to my knowledge.

Look closely for rust around windshield and gasket.

Chevy 350 is a solid engine

if it has a th400 tranny it would be the most reliable engine/auto trans combo there is,10-15 mpg,a good candidate for a forever home because parts are easy and cheap to find so you could just rebuild it over and over,tires should be 15 or 16 inch $100-150+ each x6 if it has duallies

its all about the undercarriage rust,sits square and level and dash wiring if those are ok the rest is just bolt off bolt on

if i bought it,me,myself and i would do a basic top end with edelbrock intake and carb if the cylinders and bottom end checked out,if it really has 64k on it this would make it good for another 100-150k,its a 85 so the valve guild seals and others gaskets/seals have to be getting hard and cracked

SternWake said:
If they are 16.5 inch tires, then factor in the cost of new rims too.  16.5's are not made any more to my knowledge.

Look closely for rust around windshield and gasket.

Chevy 350 is a solid engine

Okay. I work at a car lot but my boss also owns a tire shop. I'll find out about them tomorrow. The tires looked good for the age but my sister died from a blow out so I think good tires are worth every penny spent. I'm sure I can get at least some discount on them. What size rims can I replace them with if that is needed?

Thanks for the rust tip. I didn't know to look there.

The engine is a 350 4 Bolt Main? My son just told me that is a good motor.

i have a 85 1 ton flat bed w/duallies across the street and it has 16's,my 85 4x4 1/2 ton has 15.if it did have 16.5,16 is what you would want
so i have steel 16 duallies in oregon and i believe if he still has them HDR had some aluminium 16's in cali

My class C is a 81 G30 , 350 motor (carb , the 85 may be fuel inj) same 64K mileage.
Many RVs have low miles because the owners only use them for occasional camping.
So they sit around a lot , ( I get 6mpg , fuel inj will probably improve that)

I have some rust too ,The doors like that one , some around the wheel wells too.
I just replaced the entire brake system , the lines were blowing out and the master cyl leaked at the booster, I did the fuel lines because they were right next to the brake lines and just as rusty. 2 grand total parts and labor. (So check for rust underneath too.)

I also replaced all the rubber hoses and the starter , Plus a full tune up plugs wires and dist cap+rotor,including the coil which was failing.

The tire's age can be found by reading the DOT # stamped into the sidewalls , your mechanic should be able to find them. 10 years max , then replace no matter how much tread is left. If the wheels are 16.5" like mine the tires will be hard to find , make sure to check the DOT # as they can be old right from the dealer !

Let him decide if the price is right , blue book can be found online but so many variables for that to be the only guide.

Hope the checkup goes well and you get the lollipop.

Gary68 said:
if it has a th400 tranny it would be the most reliable engine/auto trans combo there is,10-15 mpg,a good candidate for a forever home because parts are easy and cheap to find so you could just rebuild it over and over,tires should be 15 or 16 inch $100-150+ each x6 if it has duallies

its all about the undercarriage rust,sits square and level and dash wiring if those are ok the rest is just bolt off bolt on

if i bought it,me,myself and i would do a basic top end with edelbrock intake and carb if the cylinders and bottom end checked out,if it really has 64k on it this would make it good for another 100-150k,its a 85 so the valve guild seals and others gaskets/seals have to be getting hard and cracked

Thanks Gary. I want to say that is the transmission he said but will have to verify with my mechanic. He is planning to check it out thoroughly for me Saturday and did say I should replace the wheel cylinders since its been sitting and just go through and get it top notch while I am saving up to hit the road anyway.

I plan to go ahead and fix it to live in in my yard and let my son live in my house and that gives me free electric (I have an outside outlet under carport), water, and wifi. The money I save on utilities I've been paying can fix something each week.

The Edlebrock carb you mentioned is that a 2 barrel? My son said I would get better mpg with that??

Between my son doing work on it free and my friend that is a mechanic charging little to nothing (I have a set of tires I can trade him for any big jobs), I pretty much am just paying for parts. My friend also has a sprayer and said he would paint it for me. That saves me a lot of money. It may not be body shop perfect but it will improve the looks greatly.

On the mileage, there is just 64777 no room for a zero before the 6. How can I tell if mileage is 64k or has rolled over? I did look and the numbers are even on odometer so doesnt look tampered with and the man who owns has a good reputation around town (its a mechanic shop and scrap yard owner that I am buying bus from). It's been kept open title so even if mileage is listed it could be wrong. If it has in reality, say, 164k, do you think $1000 is still a good price for it? My son said yes because those motors are easy to rebuild.

Thanks so much for everyone's help here. I know a little about cars but not enough to do this alone.

350 is a good motor. some would say it's the best v8 gasser. parts are cheap and readily available. a t-400 trans is a great trans however no overdrive, but it's a rock solid trans. is it a dual rear wheel? it should have 16 or 16.5 wheels. pray for 16's much more available. btw I still have six 16" GM dually rims. 4 are chrome. I will give these to anybody that can use them. so anybody that has 16.5 that wants 16" let me know. highdesertranger

check for oil change stickers might tell you the milage,check for gunk build up in side valve cover if little to none might be just 64 besides written record popping the heads off for a look is the only way i know of,if it is a solid frame/body 1000 is ok but alway work it for better especially for some thing that has been sitting,cash talks

you posted your last post right before me. it is a fallacy that a 2bbl carb gets better gas mileage then a 4bbl carb. don't believe it. I have posted this before if you want me to go into why I will. it's not that a 350 is any easier to rebuild then any other v8 but the availability of parts is much greater and therefore cheaper. also you can get a brand new 350 from GM with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty for under 2k. it will also have a 14bolt full float rear axle which is the best rear axle that came in any light duty truck, imo. highdesertranger

oh,edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel,i have had good luck with them as replacements

rvpopeye said:
My class C is a 81 G30 , 350 motor (carb , the 85 may be fuel inj) same 64K mileage.
Many RVs have low miles because the owners only use them for occasional camping.
So they sit around a lot ,  ( I get 6mpg , fuel inj will probably improve that)

I have some rust too ,The doors like that one  , some around the wheel wells too.
 I just replaced the entire brake system , the lines were blowing out and  the master cyl leaked at the booster, I did the fuel lines because they were right next to the brake lines and just as rusty. 2 grand total parts and labor.  (So check for rust underneath too.)

I also replaced all the rubber hoses and the starter , Plus a full tune up plugs wires and dist cap+rotor,including the coil which was failing.

The tire's age can be found by reading the DOT # stamped into the sidewalls , your mechanic should be able to find them. 10 years max , then replace no matter how much tread is left.  If the wheels are 16.5" like mine the tires will be hard to find , make sure to check the DOT # as they can be old right from the dealer !

Let him decide if the price is right , blue book can be found online but so many variables for that to be the only guide.

Hope the checkup goes well and you get the lollipop.

RVPopeye: Yikes! Not 6 mpg! I need better than that. I wont be able to afford to leave my driveway lol. I have been told 10 to 15 so lets hope for that!

My mechanic friend said it is definitely worth the price. just getting other opinions. I have been looking at vans and buses for months. Everything under 3k is needing something major so far. Transmission problems is the most common here. I do need to see if it's carb or fuel injected. I'm not sure its an 85. Could be 84. I was tired, it was raining, and I knew I was coming back Saturday.

I do know about DOT dates because as I mentioned my sister was killed in a car accident because she bought a used tired and it separated and rolled her SUV. I always check my dates! The State Trooper who worked her scene told me about that. I buy new tires, and good tires, no matter what I have to do to save up enough to get them. I also tell everyone I know how to check the dates on tires. It could save a life imo. Good you are telling people here. It is so important!!

I can get rims from the guy I'm buying bus from if he has them. He owns a scrap yard. I'lll get them thrown in the deal. Already got stuff I needed for my car thrown in. I am pretty good at negotiating  :D
HDR: It is a dually. If I were close enough to get the rims you have I sure would appreciate them! Unfortunately it's a long way to you from TN :(

Yup, tires are so important. I spent all my savings on the brakes (also kinda important) but as soon as I can save enough I will be looking for 16" rims and new tires before hitting the road for more than 5-10 miles.
6mpg doesn't get me in a happy place but hope to get it up (can I say that?) to 10-15 if possible.

On a side note....but not off topic because it's about my bus!! I totally panicked standing there in the rain looking at my new possible bus home. Am I really doing this?? kept going through my head lol. I feel better now that I posted here and once again you all are always here to help me. And besides, my house is still going to be here if I don't like it and it's paid for. I'm okay, (breathe Dana lol). I am both excited and terrified of this new adventure but at least I am not alone because of all of you.

There are just no words to convey the appreciation I have for each and every one of you that has helped me since I first came to these forums. I have had absolutely nothing but positive support here. I will certainly pay it forward.

My friend had an early 80s chevy school bus duallie van. It had 16's in the back 16.5s up front. Ultimately meth addiction In Baja sealed its fate, as well as the rust around the windshield. Also it had a 17 foot fiberglass boat on top of it. It only got 6MPG with it up there with 4.11 gears and a stroked small block chevy. He did have a Gearvendors over/underdrive Kit on it too

We pulled the motor and transmission differential, filled it with scrap metal from around his property, and sold it to the junkyard.

He still has the tires but they are old, several sets of 16.5 inch rims for it, with tires, but again, old
. He seems to think the tires are still worth something as they have plenty of tread.

I am in so cal and have your rims right here for free. how are you proposing to get it up, if you don't mind me asking? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I am in so cal and have your rims right here for free.  how are you proposing to get it up,  if you don't mind me asking?  highdesertranger

spinach and olive oil of course

highdesertranger said:
I am in so cal and have your rims right here for free.  how are you proposing to get it up,  if you don't mind me asking?  highdesertranger

Get what up?? :huh:

Oh, and the bus has a hitch and that metal grate like thing on back that could hold propane tanks or whatever. It was used as a camper before but he stripped it out for storage. So it may only have 64k miles because people in TN are not usually travelers, usually just local campers and hunters. Maybe Bristol. I'm from FL which is very transiet but here, people love it here and don't want to go places. I've never seen so many people content to stay in one place before. Except those of us not from here, like me, who can't wait to leave :D

Appreciate the offer for rims but unless you are delivering idk how I can get them since I'll need tires before heading to Cali. That is very nice of you though. You are such a nice person. Thank you.