portable shower stalls

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LookinUp

Reaction score
First I purchased a Walmart brand, Ozark trails, which is fine, except it's a PITA to erect is heavy and takes up storage space. Now I'm considering one of the "pop up" types. I know wind can be an issue with these, but for ease of use might be an improvement, also lighter and easier to store....Anyone have experience with these? Thanks in advance!

Yep.

They pop up quickly, but putting them back in the folded position takes a bit of practice.

You really DO need to stake them down, even if the wind is not blowing. I saw one blow 100 feet downwind in a just a few seconds when a fellow camper left his pop-up privy tent unattended for an hour or so on a completely windless morning...breezes can come out of nowhere.

Can you imagine having this happen when you were inside attending to some 'bidness'?

:blush:

I have one of the pop up styles! I love it...goes up iin 15 seconds plus time for 4 stakes. I can put it away in the same time. I learned to do this after watching a YouTube video a couple of times.

The other dweller who sold it to me had trouble putting it away and fondly called me multiple bad names when she watched me do it effortlessly.... :D :D :p

It doesn't take up nearly as much room as the 'needs some assembly' type privacy tents...it's maybe 20" in diameter and less than 2" thick, weighs next to nothing.

The only problem I see with it is that it's relatively small. I could sleep cornerwise in her new shower tent but it takes her 15 to 20 minutes to assemble it. I'm 5' tall and have just enough room to shampoo my hair in mine so it's great for me, not so great for someone taller.

Oh and in a strong wind it does tend to blow sideways at the top so I've been known to tie the upwind side to anything in the neighborhood. There's even a little fabric loop on all 4 corners so maybe the designer knew it would be needed.

we are on our second pop up...first one finally gave way when the winds of Flagstaff took her down. Around $20 on eBay. Easy up and, as prior user said, easy to put back once you get the hang of it. If space and weight are a consideration, go with the cheapie and replace every couple of years.

Carry two of the cheapies with you, and you're covered! (Literally and figuratively)

I used one for a while, it worked well. It will rip up eventually, but for occasional use it's fine.

For stakes I bought some 12 inch roofing nails from a hardware store plus washers big enough to fit. They're heavy but will not bend and are easy to put in/take out with a cheap claw hammer. They're also good for putting down tarps or mats next to your door.

I hated the pop up one. Getting it back in the bag was the worse. I have the ozark trail one from Walmart and found it to hold up so much better to wind. I also found it easier to take back down. I hated the pop up one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you have a way to secure the bag high enough you have a way to mitigate wind by tying the top off along with 4 ground steaks. once up it's not too bad.

**Dumb Question Alert**

I'm curious about these shower tents. It's obvious that they would come in quite handy in more remote situations - but what about in campgrounds and other places where there are other people in close proximity all around you? Do you actually get fully naked and shower in them (and where do you hang your clothes while doing so?) or do you wear some sort of bathing suit type garment and just rinse off?

Not a camper, so don't know how campers do stuff like this if surrounded by other campers, and just wondering if there are situations where these things would not be recommended.

/Dumb Questions

Yes, I get completely naked IN my shower tent. :) 

I set it up either sheltered from view if possible - behind the van, near some trees, whatever suits the location.

I have a small fold up table that I set beside the door so I have some place to put my towels and my clothes. I also have a piece of wood (2x12) that I can set inside the tent so that I'm not standing in the dirt.

I wear an old t-shirt and my swim shorts to get from the van to the shower tent. The door unzips from the bottom so I go inside, get naked, sneak my clothes out on to the table, rezip the tent and have a shower.

When I'm in an official campground no one really pays much attention to their neighbors anyways. When I camped with a group of friends in the NF or on BLM land, we all know what the others are doing anyways.

Hey, better that I shower naked INSIDE the tent than some who just holler 'Getting naked behind my trailer'.... :D :D :p

I have had both kinds, the instant popup ones and the have to set it up kind(light speed one, same as HDR link).

Instant popup ones.
PROs
-compact
-easy to store
-lightweight
-set up under a minute
-tear down under 2 minutes once you get the hang of it
-inexpensive

CONs
-small inside(5'8" 200 pounds and its cramped for showering)
-material tears easily
-UV's (sunlight) wrecks it quick if left setup

Light speed X-tra wide
PRO's
-Roomy enough for 2 people
-durable
-can use optional floor or not(included)

CONs
-more expensive initially
-bulky when packed up
-heavier

I love the lightspeed one. Setup isn't bad, maybe 5 minutes. The room is worth it for me. I think in the end, it will be cheaper than to keep buying the less expensive instant ones(for me). I currently also have the space to store it. I use a portable camping shower pump, 5 gallon bucket. The bucket fits in light speed one easily, very crowded in the instant ones.

I feel more privatcy in the lightspeed one than the instant ones. Hate having my butt up against the material in the smaller instant ones. Yes, I have used both in campgrounds. Definitely more comfortable using the bigger lightspeed one in campground because it offers more privacy(no butt hitting the walls).

Urban Girl: ;)

It also depends on WHEN you choose to shower. I prefer late in the afternoon or early evening.

This matches up with the period of the most and warmest sunlight for heating the water if using the sun, and also, it makes it much better for me if I'm nice and clean for bedtime.

Often at this time of day most of the nearby campers are all involved with other activities, like dinner, or simply just away from camp.

I will usually wash my hair seperately, earlier in the day, out in the open. Nobody even looks twice, and this way my hair is not still wet when I crawl in the sleeping bag.

CityWoman: "... what about in campgrounds and other places where there are other people in close proximity all around you? Do you actually get fully naked and shower in them..."

Generally speaking, there are two kinds of campgrounds; one is like an RV park or state/national park where they crowd people together more, and the boondocking ones where people are more spaced out (usually as far as you want).

The close-together parks often have regular public showers.

In the boondocking places, you can just face your privacy tent towards the bushes or your rig. Most of the tents (not all) are wide enough to put a small stool or chair in the corner to set your clothes on. The ones with the outside supports usually have connectors (tent to pole) that you can hang a couple of things on. It would probably be a good idea to check out a sporting goods place that have tents set up (spring or early summer) and take a look at them.

I recently bought this pop-up for $30 to use as a toilet and shower: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AT3T0GC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't "used" it yet. It sets up in 10 seconds or less (not counting stakes of course). I could NOT figure out how to pack it away. However, after watching a YouTube video, I'd say I can pack it away within 15 seconds. It becomes a pretty flat circle, easy to store. I do not think it will be strong enough to hang water from though, so plan accordingly. I do think you could hang something outside and run the hose through the zippered vent, but I haven't tried that yet.

The poles built into it were stronger and heavier than I anticipated, which was a nice surprise. It's too soon to know how durable it will be in the long run.

I plan to get an outdoor patio mat, the kind with lots of holes in it so the water will drain out but I won't be standing in the mud.

When you are in a developed campground, state/national or private, are you letting the shower water run off onto the ground? Or do you have some sort of catch basin or tub? I would think the campground staff would object to shower runoff in the campsites.

I haven't done it yet. My plan would be mostly to use it when boondocking, with biodegradable soap and away from water sources. I wouldn't have a problem using it in a campground, but would have to base that decision on the specific situation/vibe.

When in campgrounds that do not allow grey water on the ground we just stand in an empty tote (20" x 30") and dump it into a 5 gallon bucket and pour that down a drain or toilet. If it is really hot and dry just lay a tarp under it and let it evaporate.

dexstrom said:
When you are in a developed campground, state/national or private, are you letting the shower water run off onto the ground?  Or do you have some sort of catch basin or tub?  I would think the campground staff would object to shower runoff in the campsites.

I don't think one or two gallons run-off for one person would get anyone's attention.

Of course if several people used 2 gallons each, and in succession, and you were left with standing sudsy water, then it might be an issue.