Portable propane water heaters?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobOfYork

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what portable propane water heater to buy. I keep seeing some of them say not to be used over 2000 ft elevation.

Any affordable on demand hot water heater recommendations? I need something I can keep mounted on the van but easy to remove to take outside for showering also.

But at higher elevations than 2000 ft. :)

The Camp Chef unit worked great on a continuous pressurized S&B water supply......it needs a FLOW of water before it lights.....wasted water

Out in the desert we tried a 55 gallon drum......Camp Chef heater .......Propane and hose............We tried a Shur-flo RV pump on a power station

The pump failed to provide a constant supply...the heater sometimes fired.....it can get HOT....Outdoors only....the chimney IS the top of the unit

YMMV

I wonder if adding in a Pre-Pressurized Accumulator Tank would solve the needing a constant water supply to keep it lit?

All tankless water heaters need a constant flow of water at a certain flow rate to work correctly. I have an older Coleman one it has it's own dedicated pump it works ok but they do waste water. There is always a lag time when you start the water until it fires up. So if you try to take a Navy shower every time you shut it off then turn it back on you get a blast of cold water. Then you also have the exhaust problem if you want to us it indoors. For all these reasons and more I went with a regular RV tank heater. Highdesertranger

I think we have decided NOT to go with a tankless propane water heater. We started thinking about when we would need hot water in the van.

The only time we really WANT a little hot water is when taking a quick shower.

So we decided to go with a battery operated shower pump and a collapsible bucket. Then just heat up the water on the propane cook top.

Just seems like the best solution for us.

I also have the older Coleman water heater and sort of solved the problem of wasting the cold water in the supply hose to the shower head by using an insulated cooler as a water reservoir with a hole in the lid for the supply pump and return line and by putting a tee fitting at the shower head to create a return line to the cooler with it's own shut off valve just after the tee fitting. That way I can circulate the water in the cooler through the Coleman water heater till all of it is the perfect temperature then close the valve and turn on the water at the shower head just past the tee fitting and have several gallons of hot water instantly available without having to constantly adjust the heat. the Coleman heater makes this really easy as you can run the pump without heating the water.

I have a TCMT branded 6L unit. No complaints. $62 on Ebay. Yes they do waste a bit of water as described above. I'd estimate about 1/2 cup each time you fire it up. If you're really skimping on water, heating on the stove or solar is the way to go.

Other than the nifty shower rig we used at Quartzsite, I also used a 2 gallon pump-up garden sprayer...room temp water about 3/4 full, then pour in some hot water from a large pan on the stove, or solar heated all afternoon on sunny days.

I removed the supplied spray wand, and installed a trigger operated sink sprayer, and used a hook to hang it from the top of my little fold-up privy tent. 

Less to go wrong, no batteries, very little waste...I could take a super quick 'navy shower' and use less than 2 gallons including washing hair.

For outdoor use only. What are you going to do with it in the winter? Highdesertranger

Collapsible bucket with 12volt pump (small marine bilge)/shower head works for us.  Doesn't take much hot water.  Pump up sprayer was okay, too, but a bit of a space hog and less pressure.  Low tech fallback is a good, natural sponge.