Portable power station - what are you using?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbasin

Reaction score
There are multiple portable power stations on Amazon with reviews. What are you using?

I don't have a favorite brand. Would need AC, usb and 12v and be able to charge via solar and shore. Thanks

Portable power stations (such as the Goal Zero Yeti series) aren't all that useful to full-time vehicle dwellers, so you won't find many users of such on this forum. While I'm using a Goal Zero Yeti 400 as I type this, it's because I'm tent camping in what turned into rainy weather. That's a niche for which such devices are well-suited. For vehicle dwellers, portable power stations are mostly an overpriced and underpowered solution to the problem of how to store and use electricity effectively.

I plan to buy the Rockpals 250w Multi-Purpose Power Station, with the Rockpals 60w solar panel that is sold separately. This is what I'll be using in January for RTR and WRTR since I'll be traveling in a car at that time. Both are sold on Amazon.

We have solar, a regular gas generator and a Aeiusny 500w portable generator.

All of those "portables" have the same problems--they are overpriced and underpowered.

Thank you for not calling them "generators" :cool:

Yes, those portable powerpaks are usually too small in AH and very poor value for money.

A pair of good deep cycling FLA 6V GCs, 200+AH at around $1 / AH.

Ah, the solar generator haters surface again. Comments from people who've never even owned or used one.

I am also using:
Aeiusny Solar Portable Generator, 288Wh UPS 500W for Home Camping CPAP Emergency Backup Solar Charger Charged by Solar Panel/Wall Outlet/Car. (Amazon)

I don't have solar, so this is a huge help for my needs so far - everything from charging phones, tablets, kindle, etc. to running a fan, heated blanket..I am sure there is more I am not thinking of.  Charges surprisingly quickly via 12V while driving or AC when available. Haven't felt the need for solar charging yet, but know it's an option with this.

I believe Robin with Creativity RV did a you tube review on this as well.

Hope this helps!

On the Aeiusny, what does the manual state as the recharge time in hours?

Online the seller is saying 6 hours recharge time on household current, up to 8 hours on 12V recharge.
26,000 mah battery capacity.

The Aeiusny would take up to 16 hours of good sunlight to fully recharge if at 0%..2 or more days.

Today I drove an hour an a half while charging the Aeiusny via dash 12v and it went from 0 o 93% charge.  I know the manual says much longer, but I have been surprised how quickly it charges both via 12v and AC.  Seems to me it hasn't taken longer than 2 hours.  I have probably charged it about 15 - 20 times since I got it 3 months ago. (I don't have solar charging set up)

RVTravel said:
The Aeiusny would take up to 16 hours of good sunlight to fully recharge if at 0%..2 or more days.
Those who have the luxury of solar have better options. The usefulness of these batteries is for those who don't have solar.

The Dire Wolfess

lenny flank said:
All of those "portables" have the same problems--they are overpriced and underpowered.
Underpowered and overpriced it's when you buy YETI Goal Zero for 999,99$ and realize there are at least 3 or 4 alternatives with the same features but much cheaper. Actually everything that goes with a nametah "YETI" goes 100-200 more expensive.
I personally used Rockpals 250 and PICOWE that are solar capable, and they both did well.
https://wildproofgear.com/the-best-portable-power-station/ 

i have an Aeiusny which is just backup, i dont ever use it. i have a ryobi work battery attachment, 2 generic work batteries i bought off amazon, car charger, wall charger.

works good for me. my laptop i often charge up in public libraries or coffee shops, while i'm online. the battery charges up pretty fast when i'm just driving around doing my normal things. if i needed to i could throw it in my bag and charge at a library or coffee shop (never have). i sometimes even take it with me to coffee shops to charge up my laptop when i don't know if i will be able to find a spot with an outlet. my power needs are minimal, i mostly use it just to watch dvds,

Ryobi now has a 150 watt power station that runs off the Ryobi One 18 volt battery for less than $70 which can be charged with a 12 volt vehicle charger. It is much cheaper than the Goal Zero 150 watt one at $200. Using Ryobi lights, fans, wet/dry vacuum as well as tools has worked well for me and allows me to use the latest battery tech in their 9 Amp Hour big battery. I can charge batteries while I drive or grid power when in town. I have solar in one of my riggs but still just use it mainly to provide power to the Ryobi vehicle charger as I have found the Ryobi brand batteries and products easier for me rather than running 12 volt wiring and portable when I take another rigg. Beware of off brand batteries and check reviews before buying.

I have a Yeti Lithium 1000. I recharge with their alternator wiring or their high amp AC charger.
I also have 400 watts of solar connected to a Midnite charge controller into a couple GC batteries.

The Yeti is my rainy days battery. If I had it to do all over again I would have started with the Yeti. It shows the In' s and outs amperage which gives you a clearer understanding of the whole battery/charger/consumption puzzle.

If I need more juice for power tools or to run my electric heater to dry out some moisture in the truck I fire up the Honda generator for an hour or two.

Works for me, your wants/needs may very.