Portable butane stove, cheap but good

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John61CT

Reaction score
Aldi has one for $20, includes the custom sized carry case. Use those long canisters you get from the Asian groceries for about $1 each in bulk

Generally happy with the value / quality there.

Just like the little super-coolers they offered last month, they'll be gone soon never to return.

Thanks for the tip; Aldi often has some great deals, and a butane for $20 is great (their current ad is $14.99). The one they are offering is 7,200 BTU. If you need higher BTU, I highly recommend the Iwatani ($35) on Amazon...12,000 BTU and has never (not once!) not started first "click". I understand the Gasone models are also really good.

Yes I have the hotel/catering Iwatani, built like a tank, and higher BTU better for stir-fry with a big wok.

But cost me over $90, and that was a deal.

Actually run off propane when inside, but nice and portable for hiking picnics beach etc with the butane cans.

Walmart has the Colman Butane camp stove for just less than $19. The last case of Asian butane cost me $35 for 28 cans. Asian can has 8 ounces of gas.

I absolutely love my GasOne dual fuel single burner. I can use butane or propane and it lights first time very time. I use it regularly for camping right now as I am not full-time yet, (December!!! Fingers crossed) and it's been great. Got it off Amazon.

just a friendly reminder AGAIN that butane cartridges are impossible to find in many small towns in the west. better have a backup plan. highdesertranger

Easy to convert to propane, little 1# or BBQ type valves or both.

Adds to the price but great flexibility.

GasOne having that included is a great feature.

There are a number of smal butane stoves on Amazon for under $10. Search "backpacking stoves".

I am using one now but on cold mornings and extended burn the pressure in the tank goes down enough to limit flame size, I think this is a summer only stove for me.

butane is a summer only fuel. butane is useless below 32°. some backpacker friends use to put the canisters in their sleeping bags to keep them warm so they would work on cold mornings. highdesertranger

I just pulled the trigger for a GasOne dual fuel , prolly similar to Tam's, from amazon after having butane freeze up this past winter. Hoping the propane will fare better in cold temps.

John? Please explain the easy conversion? I have a butane only GasOne and it'd be nice to modify for propane also

user5408_pic38025_1528569853.jpg

Found this chart on a Sportsmobile forum thread.

copy/paste

***I have one of the Butane stoves that you see in Asian markets. With no propane on board the van I'm committed to use the spray paint can type Butane canisters. On my stove model I leave the can that's in use in the stove but release the lever that compresses the can to feed fuel when I'm not using the stove. I hope that's an understandable description. Not sure if the REI dual fuel is designed like that.

Here is some info on butane vs Propane so you can decide what best practices you are the most comfortable with.

Butane has a much smaller range of vapor pressure based on temperature than propane.

Here is a graph

Assuming the fuels we are using are 100% butane or Propane (less impurities) at 120 degrees F butane is only 47 PSI vs propane at 200 PSI. This is why the 1 lb green propane cans are relatively heavy duty and the Butane cans are like spray paint cans. The Butane cans are designed to vent in an over pressure condition. The top crimp of the can will split slightly and vent out the contents at a set pressure. This method is called a Rim Vent Release or RVR. The RVR in butane cans are supposed to vent at 200 PSI with visible and audible deformation of the top as a warning before venting. So armed with that knowledge even if you placed your butane can on the dash of the van, in the sun, in Phoenix and your butane got up to 175 degrees you would be at 132 PSI. Theoreticly well under the 200PSI vent pressure. I don't recommend doing that but the idea keeps me from worrying about temperature in the cabinet in the van.

Fun Fact - Butane below 33*F will not vaporize and you can carry it around in a bucket. Which is why many camp stoves mix other gases, acedyline, propane, ect to improve the cold temperature performance. Which is why all the above info is out the window with mixed gasses.

Hope this helps put it in perspective. I'm more concerned with my butane cans not leaking out the valve when off, keeping the little red caps on unused cans so they don't get pressed accidentally, or just rolling around. ****

Attachments

• user5408_pic38025_1528569853.jpg
    user5408_pic38025_1528569853.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 6
regis101 said:
I have a butane only GasOne and it'd be nice to modify for propane also
Can't find the links now, but Taiwan and Korean sellers have them on eBay or sell direct.

The connectors on the butane side are "nozzle" or "cassette" type, not screw "Lindal".

You need the right connector on the propane side as well Coleman 1# is called 1"-20 female, BBQ style is M.POL.

I bought propane 1"-20 to butane screw type. You need to reduce pressure into the butane as well, a little adjustable regulator works well.

GWORKS is the best quality, but pricey.

Cool.  Thanks.  ( Where's the Thank You button?)

The GasOne dual fuel is due to arrive on Saturday so I'll compare them with each other.
We have a local store that has beaucoup propane parts and pieces so maybe.
But its no big either way.  I'll have two stoves.  One Butane and one Butane/Propane.

sidenote: I'm a fair weather camper/dweller dreamer , due to living in a fair weather climate , so having butane on all but the coldest of days is fine

For general info. There are some butane stoves where the cannister sits away from the burner and you can turn the cannister upside down to liquid feed the fuel. They are good to around 0 degrees. MSR, Optimus, and probably others make them but they are more expensive. They are also much more stable than the sit on top type.

I am pretty sure tge above is not just misinformation, but **very** dangerous.

The "nozzle / canister" style is keyed just like a forklift tank, and for the same reason.

It **must** be fixed in the proper position relative to the ground.

Quality stoves that cradle the canister won't let you do otherwise. Also have overtemp cutoffs.

There are adapters to let you mount the can outside, the good ones have a tripod for fixing in the proper position.

But there are ones on the market that let the canister roll around, and those can cause big fires. Caused exactly by allowing liquid to enter an appliance designed for vapour.

I've never heard of upside down, except for consolidating partial cans, or making custom butane / propane mixes for cold mountain climbing.

Educate yourself, when noobish only use outdoors. Boom bad!

Prone2wander is correct. People have been doing that for more than a decade, upside down isobutane canister for cold weather use. The "Mulder strip" method can also be used. See backpackinglight.com forums for more info.

Then some campstoves are designed to do so safely.

Certainly not all.

I would not use butane or propane except in the way the stove was designed. Put a torch head on a propane cylinder and see how it burns when held upside down.
I would want to see references about upside down butane use.

Personally, I'd camp elsewhere if it was (literally) freezing inside my camper van and my stove wouldn't work. I would never hack a stove, heater or other device unless I would die if I didn't .