Poorman's DIY jumper pack

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SternWake

Reaction score
Setting up a viable dual battery system is not for everyone. Especially Newbs dabbling in the wheeled dwelling lifestyle

The fear of not being able to start the engine from a dead battery is a true concern.

One can carry jumper cables and hope for a kind, non murderous stranger to help them jump start their car.

One can also hope this kind, non murderous stranger, or themselves, also know how to hook red to red and black to ground, and not blow up the donor or recipient vehicle's electronic's by reversing the polarity.  I know I am not the only one here who has seen or heard of jump starting gone wrong stories.

The easier solution, is having a fully charged healthy jumper pack so one can pop their hood, apply two clamps from jumper pack to overdepleted engine starting battery, start the engine, disconnect jumper pack and drive away.

No stranger required, no donor vehicle, and no jumper cables required, just a adequately charged healthy enough jumper pack.  One can also help others without risking their own vehicle's electrics.

Such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/Booster-ES5000-1500-Peak-Starter/dp/B000JFHNQA

But the guts of that ~120$ jumper battery pack, is just a 32$ 18 AH Chinese AGM battery, such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-...e=UTF8&qid=1483150380&sr=1-1&keywords=ub12180

Is Money tight? Hook your jumper cables to this 32$ battery and off you go.
Space at a premium? cut the jumper cables to about 20 inches long, attach cut ends to battery and off you go.

No way to recharge the battery? One could put a male ciggy plug cord ( center conductor is (+)/ red) into their vehicle when driving, and recharge slowly.  One could also leave the clamps attached to vehicle battery and drive for faster recharging to 80%. 

In Baja back before I had solar, A friend of mine would bungee cord his gringo donated jumper pack  to any vehicle when he would get a ride into town.  Hitchhiking with his jumper pack and bungee cords and whomever stopped was then required to pop their hood so he could hook his jumper pack up and find a way to attach it to their bumper.  It was amusing to watch the process.

I also hooked him up with some longer lengths of 10AWG if the bungee on bumper strategy was not amenable to driver, or bumper non existent or at risk of falling off.

Anyway, one can easily have a self jump starting method on hand, and spend much less money than a new jumper pack costs.  It can be taken to extremes with high quality battery and thick jumper cable parrot clamps.

msVM1tn.jpg

One can usually find jumper packs with worn out batteries  at garage sales or thrift stores, and either replace the battery for a fraction of the price of new, or just scavenge it for parts, like the cable clamps.  the convenience of a carrying handle cannot be understated.

Back when I was new to van dwelling, all I carried was a jumper pack, and all it had was this 12AH battery:

https://www.amazon.com/D5775-Sealed...=UTF8&qid=1483151675&sr=1-12&keywords=ub12120

I likely jumped myself less than 10 times, and jumped other vehicles 3 dozen times, over several years before the battery  was worn out.

Now My contempt for the Ciggy plug receptacles and cords is well known, but they are ubiquitous, and most people will have a cord from a failed device laying around.

One can cut the cord end, and make a 'suicide' cord with two male ends for recharging the jumper battery when driving.  It will take a long time to charge  to 80% and much much longer to charge fully, but it is better than leaving the battery overdischarged until one gets a chance to plug in.

So with a battery and jumper cables, one can self jump.
With a ciggy plug cord and this Kit, one can make their own charging cord for recharging their jumper battery slowly:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...rd_wg=WH0OQ&psc=1&refRID=T8XM2KKJJP7Q599SF9VM

Wire up the 12v receptacle to the jumper battery terminals, and one has a nice cheap easy to use jump starter they can recharge while driving.
Technically, the 12v receptacle should be fused.

If the jumper battery is really depleted, it might blow the vehicle's power port fuse when plugged in, or perhaps the fuses withing the ciggy plugs themselves.

If one gets the chance to plug in to the grid, the chargers that come with the jumper packs are just single voltage wall warts, like this but even more generic:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...qid=1483152700&sr=1-1&keywords=battery+tender

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html

If one already has a regular battery charger, these can also be used, but these chinese AGM batteries have limitations on charging amperages. Usually 1/3 the capacity rating of the battery, like an 18AH AGM battery should receive no more than 6 amps when depleted.

I have one of the little lithium jump packs and love it. It will even jump start a diesel. I've yet to need it for myself, but i've jumped three people in parking lots thus far. I also used it to charge my laptop when I was at the inlaws and the power went out. Kept myself entertained for the night.

RVTravel said:
What do you think about the lithium jump starters?

I almost got one when they were pretty new on the market mid 2014 or so.  They seem so neat, and my finger poised over my mouse button 'click order' more than once, but I refrained, and honestly would not have used it since, for jumpstarting.

So I have no personal experience with them.  

There are a few reports of fires or cells exploding but I think some percentage of these are user error as I believe the instructions say to remove from  lead acid  starting battery promptly after starting.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=lithium+jumper+pack+fire

Seems when they do fail it is pretty spectacular and perhaps consequential.

But AGMs are also at risk of thermal runaway and consequences too:
https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.c...ries-in-defense-of-lithium-ion-batteries.html

I was going to link the lithium replacement clamps with cables for hooking to a 32$ chinese AGM.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...r=8-1&keywords=replacement+jumper+pack+cables

Some might attribute the lithium jumper pack ability to jump start with a super energy dense battery that can be used for a house battery, but Like the lead acid jumper packs, I personally would not utilize them for this function other than when there is no other option, as deep cycling would have to reduce their ability to provide the amps for their main intention, which is jump starting.  Your laptop battery likely has nearly as much or perhaps more capacity than one of these lithium jumper packs.

I don;t know for how long I continued to carry around my lead acid 12AH jumper pack around so I could help jump others, and when I finally busted it out, after keeping it topped up, the thing could not help turn over a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine. I should have been doing the occasional load test monitoring voltage drop instead of being confident it would work.  That particular occasion when it would not work, I had an elaborate tarp set up and was not going to pack up camp to go jump start the vehicle, and pushing the vehicle to my Van was not an option.  I wound up pulling my engine battery and the 120LB Mexican and I carried the awkward 54LB  flooded group 27  for 250 yards.  

So, any jump starter could impart a false confidence, so I would say to keep themnearly exclusively for jump starting, and when they are older, know they might no longer have the punch required for this task  and perhaps then retire them to portable laptop and cell phone charger.

Also, keep them as cool as possible, and with lead acid jumper pack batteries, even if unused, recharge monthly at a minimum as the cheap chinese AGMS do not have the very low self discharge of a quality AGM.

Back in the sixties I had a Honda 150. The one with square fenders. I worked construction. My boss had a six volt V-8 Edsel, early sixties model. My little Honda had a six volt system with a smallish lead acid battery complete with fill caps for adding water. It had no problem starting his big honking V-8 with my diminutive motorcycle battery. Battery measured roughly 5"x4"x2".

Hardest part was fitting the jumper cables and not shorting anything.

OK this is off topic however I have to ask.......what year and make was your Honda?  I had a 1965 Honda 150 Dream...Baby Blue. ​
 When I wanted ape hanger handle bars my dearly departed hubby put BICYCLE handle bars on it!!  It's OK, cuz it wasn't too long before I figured out how to start his newly rebuilt vintage Triumph 500 without kick starting it.......... It wasn't too many weeks later when it died on me & he caught me pushing it up Lombardy Lane, Dallas TX, 5pm traffic........no hills to ride it down to pop the clutch!!!  :D

Jewellann​

Yep mine was the 150cc model, black. A slimmer version of the 300cc Dream. Had square fenders with the duck tail flare on both of them. Mine was a 1962 or 63. Not sure of the year anymore. I have a pic somewhere. If I can find it I'll post. It was an early production model that had a flaw in the crankshaft that caused a failure of the roller bearing.

That was my first real motorcycle following my Cushman. I was 15. Had a lot of fun on it.

If you've got solar and a set of 'house' batteries (or only 1.. doesn't matter), why not run a line from the house to your starter battery with a starter solenoid and 'momentary on' switch making/breaking the connection? This way you've always got a boost handy for your rig and just get a set of jumpers for others. ..Willy.