Poor man's 1999 F450 Truck Camper Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a new pretty the other day, a storage bag for my ecozoom versa stove.  :D It's cute, ha!

Got some trim work done and been trying to figure out best way to secure my top side tool boxes.
I'm using some oak button plugs to accent some of the trim. So far all of them cover screws but I'll use some purely as accents before I'm done. Using select pine for most of the trim.

Got supplies to repair the rear driver jack lower bracket area but no further yet. 
Got less than a week to finish up.

Attachments

• eccozoom bag1.jpg
    eccozoom bag1.jpg
    734.2 KB
  • eccozoom bag.jpg
    eccozoom bag.jpg
    679.8 KB
  • Main storage area trimmed.jpg
    Main storage area trimmed.jpg
    794.1 KB
  • Propane Storage area trimmed.jpg
    Propane Storage area trimmed.jpg
    815 KB
  • Door trim.jpg
    Door trim.jpg
    713.2 KB
Nice progress, I bet the pressure is building on the deadline. I too have July 15th deadline...

Thanks, Weldman. Not really feeling any pressure on the deadline. I could move the target date if necessary but I should have a day or 3 of room to spare.
One of the reasons for choosing this way of life was freedom from have-to's

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Dotting I's and crossing T's as finishing up. Doing some systems testing today. Got fridge and stove secured, but not permanent, gas lines attached and tested. Fridge/freezer is freezing bottles of water at 10 degrees off of solar panel. Here's my little fireplace heater with it's first fire up.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Still have to test instant hot water heater and outside shower setup tomorrow.[/font]

Attachments

• 20190706_095730.jpg
    20190706_095730.jpg
    289.2 KB
  • 20190706_095740.jpg
    20190706_095740.jpg
    273.1 KB
  • 20190706_102936.jpg
    20190706_102936.jpg
    668.4 KB
  • 20190706_123237.jpg
    20190706_123237.jpg
    329.2 KB
Vent fan trimmed out

Attachments

• fan trim resized.jpg
    fan trim resized.jpg
    172 KB
Whew...been a whirlwind of activity for myself trying to get out of here by tomorrow morning. I've had to move that to around noon tomorrow but the heat/humidity here has been a killer for this old man.

Got the back driver side jack mount repaired. It'd designed to use about 3/16 x 1 inch wood screws but they had drilled out the three of those when it was damaged to use bolts. I got some glue dowels, slathered them in glue and drove them in the holes, let it dry and reattached with lag bolts. Did the same for a couple of loose ones I found as I was tightening up everything.

Sheared them off and set about doing the fiberglass repair. When really quickly, I've gotten pretty good, relatively speaking, since I began.

Rest of my time has been doing all those little things, securing spare and front water tank w/ ratchet strap, filling up with water, etc
Still got some trim work to do inside but it'll have to get done on the fly. 
Shopped for containers to go on shelf over kitchen area. Altered a hanging shoe organizer to hang in front of the toilet area. It'll be handy for toiletries and whatnot. Had to straighten and clean up my work area, load truck and go to the dump. Secure my weboost antenna to mirror mount with big zip times, etc....Just a gazillion things.

Finally tonight got FoeFiddy out and about, fueled her up and loaded up on propane. Drives like a dream, about a 10K lb dream. 

Gonna forget organizing much now. In the morning gonna load up everything in tubs and sort it out later. Gonna run shop vac through camper and get on the road. Got mattress loaded yesterday.

Attachments

• 20190707_082617.jpg
    20190707_082617.jpg
    878.1 KB
  • 20190707_202721.jpg
    20190707_202721.jpg
    254.3 KB
  • 20190707_202701.jpg
    20190707_202701.jpg
    990.3 KB
  • 20190707_135239.jpg
    20190707_135239.jpg
    535.6 KB
  • 20190708_085620.jpg
    20190708_085620.jpg
    654.3 KB
  • 20190708_190451.jpg
    20190708_190451.jpg
    275.7 KB
  • 20190708_191222.jpg
    20190708_191222.jpg
    361.8 KB
looking good. what is that antenna looking thingy attached to the passenger side mirror? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
looking good.  what is that antenna looking thingy attached to the passenger side mirror?  highdesertranger
Thanks, Mike

weBoost Drive 4G-X OTR Booster antenna thingie :D

It's looking good but man what a lot of work you have done! Just curious would you do it this way again or go another route if you had known what you know now? Great job by the way!

Was thinking once you get all solar panels up if you put more up, fiberglass a air dam to make air flow over the panels to prevent uplift on them. Thought the deadline was the 15th to get going?

bullfrog said:
It's looking good but man what a lot of work you have done!  Just curious would you do it this way again or go another route if you had known what you know now?  Great job by the way!

Man, as I'm sitting here drenched in sweat just getting loaded and finalizing, thinking of how many HARD hours I've got in this thing...I don't know. If it was merely to buy an old camper to get ready just enough to travel and camp in I'd say no, wouldn't do it again. But, there's several different personal type sides to this.

I'd never even slept in a camper before, much less owned or renovated one but the nomad thing has been in my blood for a long time and this was part of a dream of mine. I had no intention of completely redoing it when I bought it but I was a novice and leapt before I looked enough. When I started doing a few things one thing led to another, and the opportunity and resources to do them came along so I went for it.

I think I've got a really solid build w/ good 'bones'...simple one or two person who are into minimal living type rig that can go, and stay, where a lot of folks can't or won't. When I showed the camper in progress to someone that knows me really well she said, "How symbolic that you're completely starting over with it"...and she was right. Made a decision about 5 months ago to create the life I knew would work best for me and that meant eliminating a lot of distractions and getting a very simple outlook at life and what is important to me in life.

So this was a cathartic labor project for me....there were days when I felt sorry for myself...old man doing all this by himself...lol, then I'd remember I'm the one that decided to do it so get with it or get on with something else! It's still work in progress but I'll always look back at this project and smile, for several different reasons.

If I were to do the same camper again I could do in half the time, I think, dependent on weather.

Thanks for the compliment!

MaTaLa said:
It's still work in progress but I'll always look back at this project and smile, for several different reasons.

If I were to do the same camper again I could do in half the time, I think, dependent on weather.

Thanks for the compliment!

Most of us have the "it's a work in progress" thing going on.  My van came pretty much ready to throw stuff in and go but I have been adding upgrades all along.  Never truly finished.  Almost everything goes quicker the second time around.  The first takes a lot of head scratching to figure it out.

@ B and C
Yes...the work in progress I was speaking of was, for example, finishing the trim work inside, replacing the clearance lights I removed, finishing a storage area in the passenger rear area w/ a door access, etc. Not so much upgrades, which I know will never completely end :), but finishing this stage of the project.

Weldman said:
Was thinking once you get all solar panels up if you put more up, fiberglass a air dam to make air flow over the panels to prevent uplift on them. Thought the deadline was the 15th to get going?

Yeah, I had similar thoughts even with just this one and I think I will soon. That fiberglass is not real thick and I don't want a lot of up and down forces on it. 
Hmm...can't remember about the 15th but for a couple, three weeks it's been by the middle of July. Supposed to be in Mesa, AZ Friday and leave for a 4 day camp the next day. I hate deadlines...not doing it again unless I just gotta.

My intention is be doing some more building in a couple of days or so and on that list is to finish repurposing the original headache rack into a rear drop down porch and see if mounting my generator on a hitch carrier will work in the rear.

I have a front hitch receiver to install as well so the gennie may end up there although I think I would rather have the weight on the rear.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20190930_075503_resize_4.jpg
    20190930_075503_resize_4.jpg
    364.1 KB
  • 20190930_075457_resize_85.jpg
    20190930_075457_resize_85.jpg
    341.6 KB
  • 20190930_075441_resize_34.jpg
    20190930_075441_resize_34.jpg
    273.9 KB
Are you going to have to lower that deck every time you want to get in? Are you going to winch it, or do it by hand?
I like the repurpesing.

Yes, when in transit or securing the camper it'll be raised but it's aluminum and very easy to operate with nothing attached.

I think the trick will be to get the right latching.
I can remove it, by myself in 10 minutes if needed

Attachments

• 20190930_090936_resize_49.jpg
    20190930_090936_resize_49.jpg
    328.5 KB