Poor man's 1999 F450 Truck Camper Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mudbunny said:
I use my old concrete bull float handles.

So that explains your user name.  Many years ago I spent a few summers mortar forking and otherwise playing in the mud.

Nice work on your project MTL!

(sorry for slight hijack)

mudbunny said:
I use my old concrete bull float handles. They are 6 feet long and quite sturdy. There are two types, screw together and plug together with spring loaded locking pins. Any more than 3 and the wind will whip it around.

I think I will check this out even if the downside is triple the storage space.  One connection better than the other for anti-sway?

I am still in Superior AZ area and it's raining catz 'n dawgs withsome wind. Supposed to rain/storm for a couple of days.

The untethered antenna swayed fairl heavily in 15 mph gusts yet worked marvelously. However, thunderstorms are another level of difficulty so I decided to dig in my rope bag and come with some guy wires. Solid as a rock. Took 30 minutes to dig out rope and attach it. 15 minutes next time.

Attachments

• 20200318_112943_resize_83.jpg
    20200318_112943_resize_83.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 19
Nice fix. I am a little concerned about lightning because I don't have an arrester. Not even sure they make one to fit the ends. I guess if I get struck, I'll do something different.

Here's a shot of the mash up I put together to mount antenna to pole. In home depot I took a pole like mine to pvc fittings and just started putting the puzzle together.

Supplied u bolts mount from 1 1/4in to 2 inch, iirc. I used 1 1/2in pvc fittings/adapters.
I did some modifying for snug fit, just a little trimming of plastic. I have one screw holding antenna in place on pole. It's a snug fit and doesn't need much. Plus it's like a break away bolt in case it takes a heavy side force.

Attachments

• 20200324_104053_resize_80.jpg
    20200324_104053_resize_80.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 18
Looks like my pole with one more section. I didn't try to get creative with the mount. One U bolt with wing nuts that I tighten around the threaded part of the pole. I have to remove the antenna from the pole for storage.

Well, Rocinante, my rig is no more, kaput, gone.
Result of an engine fire. That was about May

Man, what a ride we had!

Blessed to have a new rig, less rough terrain capable but more comfort and space... almost too much for 1 person, lol

Attachments

• PXL_20210927_231300049.jpg
    PXL_20210927_231300049.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 11
Wow, nice looking rig! now all you need is an electric bike or off road option that will fit in the bed so you can drop the trailer as a base camp and go exploring.