Poor man's 1999 F450 Truck Camper Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, now, as I look again at the photos, I'm wondering how hot the bottom of that shelf will get using the stovetop. Oh well, I'll figure it out as I go. I've had to 'do over' about half of what I've done already so I'm used to it.

I found that mounting an air bake cookie sheet pan with a 1" air space for air flow works really well for a heat shield and is really easy to clean.

Really like how the privacy curtain turned out...not that it's a big deal.

Attachments

• 20190629_105711.jpg
    20190629_105711.jpg
    631.5 KB
  • 20190629_105923.jpg
    20190629_105923.jpg
    586.8 KB
MaTaLa said:
Really like how the privacy curtain turned out...not that it's a big deal.

Suggestion though might not really matter till the AC blows the curtain away to see inside or someone opens the exterior door that blows it open, but inlay some metal washers in the wall and then take some vinyl strips make a pocket for small neodymium magnets in the curtain to hold it close. Kind of like the ones they do at the bottom of the shower curtain except use some N48 or more neodymium magnets that will hold and can be reused over and over.
Somewhere in box store is vinyl glue or PVC depends on the materials of the curtain to make the pockets.

Haha, my A/C doesn't blow that hard but the magnet idea is solid. It'll have to go on my 'might do this later' list.

MaTaLa said:
Haha, my A/C doesn't blow that hard but the magnet idea is solid. It'll have to go on my 'might do this later' list.

That or you could just get a heavy cloth curtain and put some weights in the bottom to weigh it down but not enough to touch the floor. :thumbsup:

I'm actually jealous you got right angle corners from the roof down the wall and from one wall to the next. These radius corners I have in my project are PITA!!! to build on and slow down progress here not to mention the calculations needing to find the radius of them. In some areas it's like trying to make a square room in a yoga ball.

Weldman make a pattern of the radius out of 1/8 inch plywood, then save it for whenever you need it. that's what we used to do, even though we had to make a new one for almost every different vehicle it still made life much easier. highdesertranger

Weldman said:
I'm actually jealous you got right angle corners 

I'm sure it's not as bad as yours but right angles are few and far in between in that camper. Steps over wheels to floor is pretty close and that's what I've referenced the whole thing off of. Using 1" foam sheet insulation helped w/ cosmetic stuff by bringing the paneling out far enough for them to butt perpendicular but anything structural took some planning.

The sides aren't straight, slightly wider across the middle and the roof sloops up from the rear to peak right before bunk area and then down slopes. I got some gaps that will take some creative trimming but it'll work out.

Hmm...let's see, got the water strainer in...man, that cubby hole is getting difficult for me to get into and work but got it done.

Installed a small ball gate installed right before shower sprayer to see if I can regulate the flow but it's not very precise at all...probably go another route..no pics on that.

Last night installed solar powered motion detector dusk to dawn light by the door. I'm kinda iffy on it...doesn't seem very heavy duty but I only paid like $32 for it so we'll see. I've got to get the cord from PV panel secured. The cord will detach from the light and the light can be removed. The PV panel is screwed on.

Fabbed a mounting plate for the Eccotemp L5 instant hot water heater with galvanized sheet as a heat shield. I've got it screwed down tight think I want to leave it permanent but will have to fab a cover for it. 

Right below the water heater is compartment door w/ access to sprayer and water connection. Right around the corner I'll keep two LP tanks and that'll be the gas connection. If I rig an indoor shower set up I should still be able to use the WH but will have to reach around outside to adjust settings if needed.

I think that's it for today.

Attachments

• 20190630_170807.jpg
    20190630_170807.jpg
    731.1 KB
  • 20190630_181756.jpg
    20190630_181756.jpg
    626.4 KB
  • 20190630_181852.jpg
    20190630_181852.jpg
    613.3 KB
  • 20190630_183041.jpg
    20190630_183041.jpg
    842.5 KB
  • 20190630_183522.jpg
    20190630_183522.jpg
    777 KB
Got bed area ready to go. Put up some horse hair tassels as early-warning-devices....lol, I got a history of hitting my head on things, part of being taller.

Attachments

• tassels bed.jpg
    tassels bed.jpg
    648.8 KB
highdesertranger said:
looking good.  why are those bolts on the jack backed way off?  highdesertranger

They were part of a old repair where the bottom bracket was damaged. The bolts went thru the wall and a piece aluminum angle on the inside. It was not a well done job. I backed them off so I could repanel the inside. They're so long that I can't get them out without cutting them or removing the jack and just haven't done so yet. 

It's a repair that I'll address later, some more fiberglass work, as I'm not looking to take the camper off for a while except in an emergency.

My intention is to fab a tray of tubing that the camper sits on with newer jacks attached to the tray...eventually.

Dang it, HDR! After I got to thinking about I had to go out there and remove that jack so I can repair it tomorrow, lol.

Actually, thanks for mentioning it. The more of those rinky dinky things I take care of the better it functions and looks.

MaTaLa said:
Got bed area ready to go. Put up some horse hair tassels as early-warning-devices....lol, I got a history of hitting my head on things, part of being taller.

Nice work and I'm sitting here in mine as you seen in my last picture posted on my build laughing thinking yep I'm already sleeping in mine tonight as it is as everyone sees hehehehe.
Put a tarp over the mattress and get to work in the morning here.
I can see that crack you have with bolts backed out on the jack, might help to thicken the fiberglass around it another few layers up to 6 inches away when you get them out.

@Weldman
I'm extremely fortunate, and grateful, to have a friend that has hosted me during this build. My original plans were to do the work on the fly, as you are, which would have taken me MUCH longer, among other inconveniences. Due to be in AZ and NM before the middle of the month so anything left to do after that will be on the fly.

The Bigfoot gets it's structural integrity from a combination of fiberglass, sheet insulation and luan sandwich, all bonded together with adhesive of some type, originally they used spray contact cement. Building up the fiberglass isn't going to do a lot but I am going to repair it. In hindsight this would have best been done at the beginning of build but I had idea I was going to end up doing what I have at this time.