Poll are you retired?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you retired?

• Yes

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 62.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I went on Disability at 32. I'm 35 now. Guess i'm retired for the time being but do want to get back to work. However, I don't think i'll ever have to go back to full time work. I can work the winter months in New England doing insurance claims and travel the remaining 8 months out of the year.

eDJ_ said:
I consider myself to be semi retired and am not sure whether to take an opportunity to work a job that takes 6 months of my  time for a years pay or not.  (River Boat Cook)  and stay with my web work when home, or use that time to liquidate all of my stuff so that I could work 6 months and travel 4 or 5 months in my Van rig. I'd love to retire as an Expat in Panama (and snowbird to a more northern place like Bermuda in the hot summer months) but if I don't expat I'd like to be around Pensacola, Florida.

It's still hard to see myself just sitting around doing nothing though.

:mad: I am soooooo PO'd now.  All those years and places and states..... from Krystals to steak houses to hospitals  and no one ever told me that I could cook...be on a riverboat...and get paid for it too!   I'm gonna write my congressperson.  Right after I make my sign.

What ever you choose I wish you well    :)   TJB

I quit woodworking (building and installing kitchens and speaker enclosures)when I was 27 and went on the road doing concert sound engineering but still did a little carpentry between bands/tours.

I quit the concert circuit when I was 50 but still go see friends at gigs and help with their sound (consulting)from time to time.

I started workamping nationwide at 50 also.
I'll be getting my 14th SS check Wednesday !
But I still do workamping when I find something I know I'll enjoy.

Am I retired ? When did I begin ?
I can't tell , always loved what I did.

My best friend was an exec at LLBeans and is a gourmet chef.
Got a ranch and moved to Montana.
He met a guy in Yellowstone who has a big yacht in the Caribbean .
Looking for a cook.
Friend is a happy cook now !
Is he retired?

If you have a dream job and love what you do , you never go to WORK !

rvpopeye said:
I quit woodworking (building and installing kitchens and speaker enclosures)when I was 27 and went on the road doing concert sound engineering but still did a little carpentry between bands/tours.

Ha,  I quit woodworking ( building and installing kitchens as well!) at 28 and got into public insurance adjusting.  I helped the homeowners when the insurance companies were screwing them.  On disability at the moment, but hoping to get back to the insurance adjusting part time in the next few years.  Still love woodworking though.

As for cooking on a Tow Boat,  28 days on, 28 off with options for extra days/overtime,  this is about what a boat would look like on the Ohio River.

mikeweisend.jpg

And the Galley, as seen standing out in from of the dining area.   To  the left of the Deck Hand in the Galley is
the door to the pantry which is quite large.   Groceries may be taken on once a week from a budget of $5000
a month.   Feeding a crew of 10 most of the time,  each of these guys go through about 6000 calories a day.
About like feeding the Budweiser Clydesdales.    I've considered doing this for a while and "if" I were to expatriate to Panama,  cook on Container Ships or Cruise Ships in that part of the world.  Then in the "off time" travel some in that area.

This photo only shows about half of what the Galley consist of.

AEP_Mariner(20080126)KJ-009.JPG

Been retired on disability for a year at 51. Enjoying and looking forward to my free time.

eDJ_ said:
As for cooking on a Tow Boat,  28 days on, 28 off with options for extra days/overtime,  this is about what a boat would look like on the Ohio River.

mikeweisend.jpg

********************************************************************************************
Is this a boat that moves barges up and down the Ohio river?  I could watch those boats from the front porch when I lived in Cloverport KY which is a old riverport town on the Ohio river near Tell City IN.  Some of the Grands and I would walk down and watch them all lit up at night.  Very peaceful evenings.
Must be nice up on deck in the evenings.               TJB