Pleasure way? Tofino?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LERCA

Reaction score
I always said I’d never go without a shower in my van but I really am comfortable with this van. The size is perfect for me. I love everything about it but that lack of shower. I have oily hair and skin and I sweat a lot. Way lot. And I’m a neat freak. I have to shower daily and wash my hair every other day.  It would fit my dog perfectly too.

Any thoughts?

Where there is a will there is a way.
Watch this youtube video from Slim Potatohead. He created a shower in his small travel trailer.

LERCA said:
I always said I’d never go without a shower in my van but I really am comfortable with this van. The size is perfect for me. I love everything about it but that lack of shower. I have oily hair and skin and I sweat a lot. Way lot. And I’m a neat freak. I have to shower daily and wash my hair every other day.  It would fit my dog perfectly too.

Any thoughts?
The Potatohead shower is inside and private, but really involved.
This thread is a good alternative.

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=26297&highlight=solar+showers

Or you can get a garden sprayer, (they're not just for chemicals) like this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotts-2-Gal-Multi-Use-Sprayer-190499/300259167

I use a garden sprayer and a shower tent. I watched a couple YouTube videos on this method and tried it at home first. My trips are planned so I am able to experiment before I take off. Bonus use of the shower tent is I can put my bucket “toilet “ in there when I am not showering.

Dumb question maybe but as a woman is this type of shower safe? I was raped at 20 with a resulting tubal pregnancy (that started panic attacks and agoraphobia) and I’m probably less trusting and more fearful as a result. I know about outdoor showers but they’re scary unless I was in a campground with people around.

That’s a good question! It made me think of where I camp most of the time. Maybe 35-40% of the time I am in wooded areas. And I get up drink my coffee and putter around the campsite before I get ready for the day. I look for neighbors who might of arrived at night. If so I just do a clean up in my van. So your question made me think that I subconsciously consider the possibility of stranger danger.

Then I also sleep in parking lot of businesses. So it’s another clean up in the van.

I also camp at state parks or city parks, if showers are available I will use them.

I’ve noticed I’m more fearful and cautious than other female vanners about certain things (not all) for the reason above. So maybe I’m making too much out of it.

LERCA said:
I’ve noticed I’m more fearful and cautious than other female vanners about certain things (not all) for the reason above. So maybe I’m making too much out of it.

That vigilance makes sense. In the last few years, I’m realizing I’m one of the few women I know who hasn’t been molested or raped (yet, still, I was assaulted in my sleep). I bought a van instead of a trailer so I can leave in an emergency without exiting the vehicle. I usually walk around, but it’s nice to have the option not to go outside if there’s danger.

Are you going to be far from a city/town? I plan to urban boondock. A gym membership would be great for daily showering, unless you have to drive more than 10-15 minutes to get there.

I’m using my tub for storage because I’m too tall, achy, and would have to climb over the toilet while walking through a doorway to get into it (pic for clarity, tub to the right of toilet). I’m thinking of putting hooks in the ceiling, so I can hang a shower curtain and use a garden sprayer or the kitchen sink faucet. I set the car alarm when I sleep, and would do so if I’m showering.

Take care of of you!

6d635150caaedfa4febf4dd4575e81e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LERCA said:

Any thoughts?

I used to think the same. But I learned differently. I now shower about once every week or 10 days, at a truck stop or a state park.

For daily washing, I use the no-rinse body wash that is sold for bed-ridden people. I have both the wipes and the liquid, I think the liquid is more economical, and I don't like the whole use-it-once-and-throw-it-away routine. Nevertheless, sometimes the wipes suit the occasion best.

Hair is harder. I have found, as the no-poo websites claim, that if you stop shampooing daily, your scalp oil production does decrease. But it will take some weeks, and you will be unhappy during the transition. OTOH, when you're living in a van, it's not like you are around lots of people who care how you look!

Also, when the weather is warm enough, a gallon or two of water and a sponge really is enough to replace a full shower.

People differ, but I just wouldn't put anything like a real shower in my tiny living space.