Please help with route and other ideas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamerica

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am currently in the Deland, Florida area, in a campground.  I have a small travel trailer and an old 1991 Class B van that is in the garage getting a transmission right now.  This $3,000 repair totally taps me out financially for the time being.  I want to put my trailer in storage and live in my van, on the road.   I am keeping the trailer here as Plan B.  With the trailer, I always have a nice little home in an area I like well enough.  Maybe I will sell it some day, but not now.  I do not have a tow package on the van.  Besides being expensive to get that installed, I have been told I should not put that much stress on an old van.  I would bring the trailer if I could.

I have had the van for 3 years and only put 12,000 miles on it.  It is my daily driver and I have lived in it for 6 months in that time.  It is great.

My camper van has had many upgrades in the past year.  I believe it will be road worthy, after the transmission.  Everything works...stove, refrigerator, water heater, toilet, shower, etc.
It is a 1991 Ford E250 with 5.8 351 engine that seems to be fine. Mileage is 108,000.   Tires only have 12,000 miles.  New front brakes, new brake line, new exhaust system, new battery.  So after this transmission rebuild, including oil pan, it probably is good to go.  I hope.

Now...where I need help.  I don't know where to go or what to do but I have always wanted to see what the Western US RV life is like.  Tennessee, Arkansas, West Virginia, The Carolinas, all sound good, too.  But I don't want to go to tornado territory and I think these places are hot and humid in the summer.  I think I really need to go West.  I keep hearing it is so RV friendly and the people are so nice out there.

There are 2 main things for me: the comfort of my cat and free or really inexpensive places to stay while travelling.  I do have an AllStays app and am an Escapees member.  As it is getting hotter by the day here,  I need to find routes where it is not too hot, so I don't harm my cat.

I do have a house battery and an inverter that can run a fan.  Once I figure out how to keep the battery charged.  I also have a battery fan that works well, and I have a Fantastic Vent Fan in the roof.  But it gets so darn hot anyway.  I have an onboard generator that works but keeps shutting off after 45 minutes, taking down the AC with it.  I have had it to 2 shops and no better.

Okay..sorry if this is so long, but maybe knowing my situation will help someone to help me.

Finances... I am on Social Security and have that, but with the transmission bill and Internet, life insurance and just the regular everyday bills, I will probably only have $500 per month to travel with until my eBay sales take off.  Not a lot, I know, but I am thinking of this a a wonderful adventure.  If you folks think I had better not hit the road with this amount, I will stay in a campground until I make money online, which I know will happen at some point.

I just need to learn where to go so it is not too hot for my cat, and where I can stay along the way for free mostly.   Along the way to where...that is also the question.  

Thanks to anyone who got this far in reading this, and thanks to anyone who can help me think straight.

p.s. I need to be within sight of other good people. I am kind of a chicken girl that way. Not interested in being in pitch black in the middle of 1,000 acres by myself. Thanks again.

Welcome to the CRVL forums pamerica! You may want to consider attending the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous (RTR) gathering in Flagstaff, AZ next month. It'd be a great place to connect with other vandwellers. Here is a thread about it -- https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Official-Summer-RTR-Dates-June-16-26-2016

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi, from North Florida :) I don't have a lot of advice but you may want to consider rebuilding the emergency funds before setting out. Monthly income is great but you'd hate to be stranded some where waiting on funds to come in to fix the problem.

Best of luck and I envy you being able to get out and travel :)

Welcome aboard the forums Pamerica !
I x2 the rec to go to the Flagstaff RTR.
It's up in the cooler high country of the S West and you'll love it there (so will the little fuzzball)!
You'll get first hand info and help with most of your questions too. You can get a lot of answers here too , just ask ! The tribe knows all !
I think you should be OK with $500 a month if you boondock and don't need to eat at the RITZ !

I would try to get across the plains fairly quickly, and head for high elevations. Sante Fe, NM would be a good first destination, then Flagstaff, AZ.

Check Allstays Camp and RV Campgrounds app, and the Free Campsites site for campgrounds and overnight stops along the way.

https://freecampsites.net/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.allstays.app.camprv

It is much easier to boondock with friends who are traveling in a similar way that you are (cheaply), so the RTR gathering is a good place to meet others doing the same.

Thank you Bob, Rugster, rvpopeye, skyl4rk for your replies and suggestions.  Bob, I will definitely head out to the RTR.  I can leave next week.  I have wanted to do this for a long time, and now is the time.  When I pick up my van and its new transmission tomorrow, I am hoping it is fine and I can come out there.

Rugster....I hear you about the emergency funds.  It's just that it will take me years to do that again, paying for the campground and elec. while waiting.  This is very scary, I will admit.  I keep thinking maybe this is a dumb idea after all.  The only worry I have is vehicle problems.  And that would happen if I were safe at home in my campground.  Then I would have even less money because I am paying for the campground.  At least this is what I am thinking.

rvpopeye....Thanks for the encouragement.  It is my real dream to learn how to live this way.  To me it is freedom, in several ways.  And a challenge to my abilities, which I have always enjoyed.  And fun!  I will love to be associated with like minded folks.  

skyl4rk....Thanks for the links.  And thanks for the vote for the RTR and boondocking friends.    Santa Fe...oh my, will I really see Santa Fe !!!!!   Now I will display how much I still need to learn..... I am not even sure how to "get across the plains fairly quickly".   Will you please give me an idea of the roads you mean?  I am in central coastal Florida right now.

Thanks again, everybody.

That's the best part.........
You get to go any way you want.
See things you want to see.
And go as slow (or fast) as you want.

Oh yeah , keep an eye to the weather.... ;)

pamerica said:
   Now I will display how much I still need to learn..... I am not even sure how to "get across the plains fairly quickly".   Will you please give me an idea of the roads you mean?  I am in central coastal Florida right now.

Thanks again, everybody.

IIWM and I wanted to get across the plains at this time of year quickly, I'd take I 10 west to Mobile AL, take state highway 45 north to I 20, then head west again till you get to the far west side of Mississippi in to Louisiana and take State Highway 65 north at Tallulah to I40  then I 40W all the way to Flagstaff.

This will avoid having to go through the larger cities like Houston and put you at higher elevations by the time you hit New Mexico which will mean it's cooler than the far southern routes like I 10 or 20. I 10 dips too far south and I 20 just joins in to I 10 anyways so there's no point in taking it.

You can slow down and enjoy the travel once you get far enough west and high enough elevation to have cooler dry temperatures. It's the hot AND humid weather than hurts.

Keep in mind that you can use Flying J/Pilot truck stops as well as WalMarts for overnight stays. Some people use Cracker Barrel as well but I've never found I needed to with all the other choices along the way.

Almost There said:
IIWM and I wanted to get across the plains at this time of year quickly, I'd take I 10 west to Mobile AL, take state highway 45 north to I 20, then head west again till you get to the far west side of Mississippi in to Louisiana and take State Highway 65 north at Tallulah to I40  then I 40W all the way to Flagstaff.

This will avoid having to go through the larger cities like Houston and put you at higher elevations by the time you hit New Mexico which will mean it's cooler than the far southern routes like I 10 or 20. I 10 dips too far south and I 20 just joins in to I 10 anyways so there's no point in taking it.

You can slow down and enjoy the travel once you get far enough west and high enough elevation to have cooler dry temperatures. It's the hot AND humid weather than hurts.

Keep in mind that you can use Flying J/Pilot truck stops as well as WalMarts for overnight stays. Some people use Cracker Barrel as well but I've never found I needed to with all the other choices along the way.

Thank you so much, Almost There.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  Sounds good.

My apologies if this is something that you already knew, but if you put your starting and ending location in Google Maps, you can get a fastest route (and a few more options).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/DeL...cedbb300!2m2!1d-111.651302!2d35.1982836?hl=en

By the way, I usually don't recommend traveling fast, slower is the way to go. But if you need to escape the heat and get past tornado alley, by all means, use the interstate and get to higher elevations.

skyl4rk said:
My apologies if this is something that you already knew, but if you put your starting and ending location in Google Maps, you can get a fastest route (and a few more options).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/DeL...cedbb300!2m2!1d-111.651302!2d35.1982836?hl=en

By the way, I usually don't recommend traveling fast, slower is the way to go.  But if you need to escape the heat and get past tornado alley, by all means, use the interstate and get to higher elevations.

That and I used the 'trip advisor' on freecampsites.net to get eastbound for home this spring. It worked wonderfully as I could tell it that I wanted no interstates or toll roads and to limit free camping sites to within 25 miles of the route. I found free camping in neat places all along the way and only spent one night in a W/M because of limiting the distance I wanted to travel that day.

If it were me, I'd go up to Ashevile, NC and do some of the Blue Ridge Prkway. Very pretty in the spring. One of the most beautiful place in the country is the Rhododendron Gardens on Roan Mt on the NC/TN border. They'll be in full bloom soon: SPECTACULAR!! Hike back a ways on the Grassy Ridge trail. When the Flame Azalea and Rhododendrons are in peak bloom it'll take your breath away and bring tears to your eyes!
http://www.roanmountain.com/

Then take 40 straight across to Flagstaff. There's a group of us here now, waiting just for you!
Bob

No, I did not know that, skyl4rk.  Thank you. And thanks again to Bob and Almost There. Now I believe I have a good handle on how to find my way out there. My van should be ready tomorrow. I will spend a couple days getting organized and expect to leave next Tuesday.
Oh my gosh...can this be true.... I am coming out there and meeting some of your tribe !!!

pamerica said:
Hello all.

I am currently in the Deland, Florida area, in a campground.  I have a small travel trailer and an old 1991 Class B van that is in the garage getting a transmission right now.  This $3,000 repair totally taps me out financially for the time being.  I want to put my trailer in storage and live in my van, on the road.   I am keeping the trailer here as Plan B.  With the trailer, I always have a nice little home in an area I like well enough.  Maybe I will sell it some day, but not now.  I do not have a tow package on the van.  Besides being expensive to get that installed, I have been told I should not put that much stress on an old van.  I would bring the trailer if I could.

Hi Pamerica,
Hope you don't mind one more odd comment here - a trans rebuild is a fairly complicated job. It might be a good idea to stay in your local area for a week or so, & put some mileage on your van/new transmission, just in case any issues pop up with the rebuild.

drysailor said:
Hi Pamerica,
Hope you don't mind one more odd comment here - a trans rebuild is a fairly complicated job. It might be a good idea to stay in your local area for a week or so, & put some mileage on your van/new transmission, just in case any issues pop up with the rebuild.

Hi drysailor.  I know you are right.  Okay, I will run it as soon as I get it.  Hopefully that wiil be tomorrow (Thurs. May 26)  I have until next. Tues. to run its pants off.  If I have to, I can do longer.  Yikes, that would then be an issue.  

Will do my best.  Thank you!!!  p.s.  this repair place looks good.  Yes, I have heard that before, too.

If you want to go west and stay cool I suggest Central or North Colorado. North Utah east of Salt Lake. Oregon have plenty public land and cooler. The same as Washington State. If you want to save on fuel, keep the speed down and stay on secondary road, more scenic if you ask me. Stay put at places longer to save on fuel

arctic cat said:
If you want to go west and stay cool I suggest Central or North Colorado.   North Utah east of Salt Lake.  Oregon have plenty public land and cooler. The same as Washington State.   If you want to save on fuel, keep the speed down and stay on secondary road, more scenic if you ask me.  Stay put at places longer to save on fuel

Hi arctic cat.  Now you are talking of lands I heard about and seem so exotic for my level of experience.  Okay.  Stretch my brain.  Thank you.

pamerica said:
Hi arctic cat.  Now you are talking of lands I heard about and seem so exotic for my level of experience.  Okay.  Stretch my brain.  Thank you.

We usually stay at forest campground that either free or low cost (about no $5 to $7 a night)   There is a lot public land around for free.  Here are states and provinces I visited if you have any question shoot it.  Good Luck

Attachments

• VisitedStatesMap.jpg
    VisitedStatesMap.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 9
  • VisitedProvincesMap.jpg
    VisitedProvincesMap.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 5