Please help with route and other ideas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all.  Well, I am not able to make it out in time for the summer RTR, after all.  As mentioned by drysailor, there could be some complications with my transmission rebuild.  Yes, true.

When I picked the van up, it stalled right in the garage lot, but I started it up again and drove it anyway.  It stalled again at the next corner red light.  I took it back and they adjusted something.  I only had 8 miles to go home, and barely limped into my campground.  They sent a tow truck and lent me a car.  They said it was the IAC (intake air controller?) that needed to retrain itself.  When they did the trans, they said some hose had a hole in it and allowed the engine to get air that way instead of the gunked up IAC.  And once they put a new hose on, the engine (trans?) has to relearn how to run or something like that.  Is this something to do with the manifold?
I don't know but I heard that word.  I am reporting this the best I can.  Some of it has to be correct  :rolleyes:

I drove it around a couple days and it did it again.  I think I am getting the days mixed up...anyway...they cleaned up the IAC 2 days ago and I think they may need to replace it. They also set the idle up a bit.  That was just 2 days ago and I need to drive it more before I leave here.  I do believe it will be good at some point soon.
I expect this 1991 van to need repairs/replacements.  It has a lot of new parts.  And I am glad for that.

Some great news, too, it seems.  They said someone put a new re-manufactured Jasper engine in it at some point.  That it was a new one, not a used one.  Only they can't figure out why, if the previous owner bothered to put a new engine in it, why they didn't replace the oil pan, too.  I already knew that it was very rusty and had a hole in it.  But they said there was no debris in the oil pan and the engine looks real good.  So I got a new oil pan with the trans. work.

I don't know exactly when or where, but I will be out there or bust!  I thank you all sincerely for your care.

After your van is reliable , the hardest thing you will do is make the decision, pack cat clothes and pots and pans and look in your rearview mirror. Don't worry about being alone once you get out here. There are people that will mentor you. Travel cross country will be harder since you will be alone. Remember and believe me, if other people can do it, you can do it.

Diane

There may also be people nearby or along the route that are going to RTR .
Organize a caravan so there are other vehicles to help if anyone has problems !

Start a caravan thread , nothing to lose ....

dragonflyinthesky said:
After your van is reliable , the hardest thing you will do is make the decision, pack cat clothes and pots and pans and look in your rearview mirror. Don't worry about being alone once you get out here. There are people that will mentor you. Travel cross country will be harder since you will be alone. Remember and believe me, if other people can do it, you can do it.

Diane

dragonflyinthesky, Diane, you have said it all.  Everything I am hoping for.  Thank you.

This is taking me longer to leave but here is an update.  I was sorry to not make it in time for the RTR and even if cancelled, I know a lot of folks were there and I am sorry I wasn't. Part of the delay was I went for a medical okay....everything checks out fine. I wanted to get that out of the way before setting sail. And the biggest change of all for me is: I have decided to go all in and sell my travel trailer that I planned to keep just in case.  If I am going to do this, well, let's do this. I have already lived in my van for 6 months the past 2 years, and I like it.
So...now am downsizing and getting rid of things, and seeing how much I can stuff in my van.

It is so dang hot throughout the country, and floods and all.  I am still in central coastal Florida.  Next week my travel trailer is being towed inland to a campground where I have friends who will sell my trailer for me.
I am leaving here next week, by the 1st, when my rent is up.  I hope I am out of the trailer completely by then, or I will need to go to that other campground until I am finished.  But with the heat....should I travel?  I don't know how to handle all the 90+ days without air.

A few questions...about electrical, traveling in this heat, where to go when I get on the road, and when to post elsewhere, now that I have introduced myself and my situation.  

Should I keep posting here with these questions, or now do I post in the appropriate threads?  

And dragonflyinthesky.... you said in an earlier response, to not worry about being alone when I get out there.   Do you mean any time I actually get...where?  Did you mean in time for this summer's RTR?

Okay...so should I now post my questions in the appropriate threads?  I bought a marine battery, an inverter and jumper cables just like in Bob's post about cheap electricity but need to ask more about this, how to do it with my setup, and if the chargers/adapters I just also ordered will do the job.  And other questions.  Have I graduated out of this newcomer thread, or should I just keep going here?  Thank you.

Good for you, glad to see you've made progress and are ready to hit the road.

Yes, I would suggest you start posting your specific questions in the category it would fall under, you are more likely to get an answer for that question.

Best of luck and look forward to seeing your travels.

I live in the Mojave desert. A town named Pahrump Nv. We tease each other about it only being dry heat. 100 here feels like 80 in Florida. A 115 still feels plenty hot.

The two other groups that you should look into are Couch Surfers, https://www.couchsurfing.com
and Boondockers Welcome. https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/
You can do a youtube search on these to learn more about them. Basically they are a listing of people who take pleasure in aiding fellow travelers. Boondockers Welcome has a small yearly fee, (like $20), but the hosts do not charge you for letting you stay with them for a few days. They are not obligated to provide you with anything except a parking space, (but most of us do) and you are not obligated to do anything for the host. If you join B.W. and look up Pahrump Nv, I will be one of the listings for hosts.

So if you know a day or two in advance that you will be passing through a particular area, you can look to see if there is a generous soul that will let you stay on their property for a day or two. You will be able to see a profile that describes them and also what other people had to say about the host when they stayed there. The host also makes a report about you,( did you make a mess, noise, trouble etc).
The profile lists what the host offers, (for free). Things like wireless internet, water, electricity, garbage, laundry, that sort of thing. There is a paper trail of who was with who, so I think it pretty safe for both parties. Meeting a friend in a strange place can be very beneficial. They know the good local restaurants, stores, things to do or see etc.

Welcome to the tribe.

pamerica said:
Should I keep posting here with these questions, or now do I post in the appropriate threads?  

Have I graduated out of this newcomer thread, or should I just keep going here?  Thank you.

Yes, multiple questions in one thread rarely ever get answered well even more so if it is buried in a completley different thread. 

New thread for every question. Remember, the more detailed information you give us, the better the answers will be.
Bob

Here I go!  Wrapping up this newbie thread for me and will post in other sections now.

I just sold my (security blanket, plan B, etc.) travel trailer and they are coming to pick it up tomorrow.  Now it is my van, my cat and me.   :rolleyes:

pamerica said:
Here I go!  Wrapping up this newbie thread for me and will post in other sections now.

I just sold my (security blanket, plan B, etc.) travel trailer and they are coming to pick it up tomorrow.  Now it is my van, my cat and me.   :rolleyes:

Best wishes. Wherever I go I tend to run into people just like me. Whether good or bad.