Please advise on solar kit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bLEEp

Reaction score
So I found this kit on sale for just over 1k$.
It has the eclipse panels, which are allegedly an upgrade from renogy standard panels as well as all the gear I might need.
Our two biggest power hogs will be the 63 watt dorm fridge, we have it and decided to build out the rest before dropping serious cash on a 12v unit, and Mrs b's sewing machine.
Other than that it will be mostly phone and tablet charging, LEDs, fantastic fan and our pioneer head unit for tunes on rainy days.
I have considered a small generator for emergencies in the future, but that is then, this is now.
Thoughts?  Criticisms??? (Constructive or not, I'm a big boy I can take it) Advice?
As always, lots of thanks and lots of love from the bLEEps
:heart: :D

Attachments

• IMG_0622.PNG
    IMG_0622.PNG
    359 KB · Views: 38
Well its not exactly the way I would go but I'm not you & you're not me......

It loox like a very nice system for a grand and should do the job for you. My primary suggestion would be to get a second 12 volt deep cell battery of the same make model of whats included. Also, the kit includes cables to connect the inverter to the battery(s) but you'll also want to have a fuse for that connection. Make sure you get a fuse.

2nd battery and a fuse what I would want with that kit.
INTJohn

Thank you.
I've got the ANL fuses and some extra cable here. So that is covered, I guess I am trying to get as many opinions as possible before I decide on my solar as it is a pretty big part of our home and want to be sure I do the best I can for the best prices I can find while retaining quality and durability.

Walmart sells that same 300W Renogy system minus the inverter & GEL Battery for 530$......

This is the way I would go. Then you can get the inverter(s) you want as well as the battery(s) you want........ but thats just me. Personally I don't care for GEL's for RV use and it doesn't sound optimum for your situation. They are VERY fussy about being charged and you can kill one in a hurry if not charged properly - Renogy has included a 40 amp charge controller - with the 32amp charge rate, blah blah blah.

Also, the 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter is probably over kill as most peeps just don't need that much wattage from a PSW inverter - a modified wave will work for everything that doesn't have sensitive electronics and is a helluvalot cheaper. I use a 1500 watt MSW inverter for everything but charging my MacBook Pro which is what I use the 300watt PSW inverter to charge.

So If I were to buy the system for 530$ say at Wallyville.........

300W Renogy with 30 amp controller..............................530$
2 - Trojan J-150 Deep cells battery + cables....................400$
1500 W Mod. Sine Wave inverter....................................125$
300 W Pure sine wave Inverter.......................................175$

Total a few other cables etc misc items..........~1350$

The system you're looking at 1050 + a 2nd Gell 150ah battery at probably around the same $'s.

Qwik comparative analysis....................INTJohn

Don't forget to factor in the after sale service reputation of the two companies.

Are you looking at this kit because the three panels will fit well in your intended location? 

If you have room for a single large 300w or slightly more panel you can probably get more watts per $.  Simpler mounting and wiring as well.

The Commander controller does not get great reviews on amazon.

Gel cell batteries can be finicky to coddle properly.  The Commander controller webpage does not state that it comes with the available remote temp sensor.  Without an at the battery temp sensor one is just pissing in the wind w/regard to reality based temperature compensation.  Batteries change temp at a much different rate than the surrounding environment due to their large thermal mass.

As you might of inferred by now, I'm not a big fans of solar kits.

Gel batteries are a horrible idea.  You want either AGM of Flooded batteries, not that.

INTJohn, those are not the same panels as WM sells.  He is looking at the Eclips, which is the next generation panels. 

Keep coming with suggestions guys... Enough 2 cents worth will get something good.  :D

I'm wondering about trying to hobble something together using bits and pieces from craigslist... is that possible? Such as these panels: https://springfield.craigslist.org/for/5983397235.html for $300 and then spend a little extra for a better charger and a decent battery or two?? I have wondered, though, how I would know if used panels work. Is there a way to test them when not hooked up?

GotSmart said:
INTJohn, those are not the same panels as WM sells.  He is looking at the Eclips, which is the next generation panels. 

Keep coming with suggestions guys... Enough 2 cents worth will get something good.  :D

Yeah I get it but its still comparing apples to apples - their both Renogy panels rated for 300 watts........

Point is & I'm with Chico - forget the kit; go with components:
get a ~300 watt system - I don't care who makes it or what model and then get your own batteries & inverter(s) separate. then you've built your own 'kit' tailored to your own specific needs & desires - not a 'factory kit' marketed specifically as a 'catch all' to optimize selling profitability..........

INTJohn

INTJohn said:
2 - Trojan J-150 Deep cells battery + cables....................400$
4x 6v Duracell GC2s (Deka East Penn) from Sam's or B+ get you 490AH vs those 300AH total, about the same money.

Yes not Trojan but IMO likely to last even longer being bigger, cycled less deeply.

If OP's got the room.

Just a suggested tweak, not saying anything wrong with the J-150. . .

AbuelaLoca said:
I'm wondering about trying to hobble something together using bits and pieces from craigslist... is that possible? Such as these panels: https://springfield.craigslist.org/for/5983397235.html for $300 and then spend a little extra for a better charger and a decent battery or two?? I have wondered, though, how I would know if used panels work. Is there a way to test them when not hooked up?

Thosw were (discontinued) a expensive panel when first produced.  

They can be tested to see if they are working.

I have a source for batteries that can not be beat.  AGM 224 6v for about $60 each.  used 2 years on road signs, and rotated out on a regular scedule.  I have been using mine for 3+ years now.  

Thinking here is that the first set of batteries gets ruined by improper use.  These are the perfect ones to learn by.

Attachments

• batteries.jpg
    batteries.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 8
INTJohn said:
Yeah I get it but its still comparing apples to apples - their both Renogy panels rated for 300 watts........

UH ~~~ No. 

That is like saying that a truck and corvette are the same since they both have a Chevy nameplate, and the engine block is the same.

John61CT said:
4x 6v Duracell GC2s (Deka East Penn) from Sam's or B+ get you 490AH vs those 300AH total, about the same money.

Yes not Trojan but IMO likely to last even longer being bigger, cycled less deeply.

If OP's got the room.

Just a suggested tweak, not saying anything wrong with the J-150. . .
All I have is room.
27' Ford E450 Shuttle ;-)
Also the commander MPPT controller does have a temp sensor available for ten bucks.

bLEEp said:
All I have is room.
27' Ford E450 Shuttle ;-)
Also the commander MPPT controller does have a temp sensor available for ten bucks.

Since you have so much roof real estate have you checked out the great values that are out there on large panels?

From my earlier post:

The Commander controller webpage does not state that it comes with the available remote temp sensor.

29chico said:
Since you have so much roof real estate have you checked out the great values that are out there on large panels?

One word.

Shipping. 

If anyone has links to great prices, post it.  It does not have to be Renogy.

Yes shippings a pain, best to get a local group to go in on a pallet. Also check for local dealers, CL etc.

Don't build a motley collection, focus on getting a matched set that optimizes your use of roof square footage.

GotSmart said:
One word.

Shipping. 

If anyone has links to great prices, post it.  It does not have to be Renogy.

Ok, the link below shows all of locations of an electrical distributor that will sell solar to the public. Good prices. I bought my 315w LG's from them at a location very close to me. Lots of locations across the US.

Link: http://cedgreentechus.com/

You see that big empty space in the middle of the map?  

That is where we are.   :(  But there are solar sales in this town.  A call is free. 

Great idea.