Platinum Cat Natural Gas Heater Model 3P12

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.he I.nvisible M.an

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the Platinum Cat Natural Gas or Propane Heater Model 3P12?

http://ventedcatheater.com/2.html

This heater seems like it might be a good fit for my setup as I have access to 22 GGE (gas gallon equivalent) of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) on board my Step Van with the probability of adding more tanks in the future.

http://ventedcatheater.com/6.html

Fuel consumption seems very reasonable at 34 hours per gallon of propane and they have an option to custom order for natural gas.

The portion I wish to heat is less than the rated 100 sq ft for this model.

The heater is power vented with a 12 volt fan exhausting through 1-1/2 inch diameter tubing. The power venting looks like it gets rid of waste air through venting directly to the outside with makeup air coming in fresh. I saw mention of various vent outlets for the outside but no pictures or model numbers.

The heater also looks like it comes with automatic ignition and a wall thermostat.

There is no flame as the heater uses a Platinum catalytic combustion process.

I also see it has various safety features and seems like a promising choice.

Any feedback, ideas or alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

T.I.M.

I'm not sure the guy is even still in business.  I tried to buy one a year ago, had a hell of a time reaching him, and was finally told I would be put on a waiting list.  I never heard from him again.

If you get ahold of him, please let me know.

BTW, I've seen reports that ALL catalytic heaters can have problems in dusty environments.  Apparently, too much dust can "poison" the catalytic mat and ruin it, so it is necessary to keep these things covered when not in use.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'm not sure the guy is even still in business.  I tried to buy one a year ago, had a hell of a time reaching him, and was finally told I would be put on a waiting list.  I never heard from him again.

If you get ahold of him, please let me know.

BTW, I've seen reports that ALL catalytic heaters can have problems in dusty environments.  Apparently, too much dust can "poison" the catalytic mat and ruin it, so it is necessary to keep these things covered when not in use.

Regards
John

That's down right sad ...

And it looks like such a great unit.

T.I.M.

it looks very similar to an Olympian. however it's vented. you do need to watch the dust with a catalytic heater. Olympian sells a cover for theirs. do not leave the cover off in dusty environments unless it's in use. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
it looks very similar to an Olympian.  however it's vented.

There's a bit more than that, hdr.  The guy apparently figured out how to make the whole system work with a thermostat, so it goes on and off on it's own.  Sure wish Olympian would come up with something like that.

Regards
John

I recently purchased one. Arnold is the guy's name. I have the smaller model of the two. It took three weeks to get here and was very pleased with the service. The larger one is more popular and has a longer waiting period especially this time of year. You can get them in a variety of colors. I don't have mine installed yet as I've had it only a week and need to prep a couple other things before installation.

There are two vent outlet covers. One is a flat, white, louvered cover the other is a stainless steel scoop which is covered at the top and vents out of a larger hole in the bottom. It sticks out more than the louvered.

He prefers communication by email.

This is my experience only. I don't know of anyone else who has purchased one. Having a thermostat was a huge deal for me and the controlled ventilation was also a big deal. (Controlled ventilation was a convenience issue only, not a safety issue. Cracking a window for a cheaper cat heater is of little concern to me.) I'm leery about posting the price because Arnold doesn't post it on his website. My understanding the price can vary considerably depending on the price of platinum. It seems to me the large one was $100 to $150 more, so it is a much better deal per BTU.

I went with the smaller one because if it is enough, then I'm happy. BUT I don't think it will be. I'm in Montana. If I need another one, I will buy another one. Also, I will know if I need the larger model or not. This also gives me redundancy. If one fails or starts to fail, then I have at least one working unit. I may freeze my eyelashes off, but at least I wouldn't die to death.

I was more than happy to pay extra to have the convenience of a thermostat and controlled ventilation. This way I can sleep throughout the night without needing to fuss with the heater to control the temp. Not having a window cracked is nice; I like it quiet when I sleep. Because it controls ventilation, it sips propane more frugally than other cat heaters. This helps offset the initial cost. Having a non thermostat model often makes it too hot, which also is a waste of fuel, which in turn ends up increasing the cost of the cheaper models over the long run.

With any catalytic heater, the catalytic portion is sensitive to dirt, Mountain Dew, dog fur, and other nasties. I've also read that not using the last little bit of the propane can help with longevity. When you get to the bottom of a tank, you can smell the odorant more, so that additive may actually have an adverse effect on the heater. This is just speculation, though.

Waves are good units and you wouldn't go wrong with them. I like convenience, so I spent the extra $ for the PlatCat.

very good Canine. what are you going to use for the flue pipe it says 1.5 inch I have never seen 1.5 inch flue pipe. the smallest I have seen is 3 inch. I am curious. highdesertranger

Canine said:
I recently purchased one. Arnold is the guy's name. I have the smaller model of the two.
Waves are good units and you wouldn't go wrong with them. I like convenience, so I spent the extra $ for the PlatCat.

So ...
The model you purchased was the Platinum Cat Propane Heater Model 3P12?

I guess it's time to find our original emails and ask him why he never got back to me.  If he really IS still in business, then I definitely still want one.

Regards
John

T.he I.nvisible M.an, yes, it is the 3P12. Although, I have taken to calling it the C3PO. Yeah, C3PO is a bit of a stretch, but that is me.  lol

HDR, All flue pipe must be ABS pipe. 1 1/2" ABS drain pipe is recommended. Total flue length should not exceed 12 feet. 10 feet or less is recommended to reduce chance of cavitation of the fan and increased noise. :)  Now I'm curious what you think about using ABS as a flue pipe. In my former house I had a high efficiency furnace installed and the installer used ABS pipe for intake and exhaust.

Opti, I sure hope you have better luck if you try another go around. That really bums me out that you didn't get taken care of the first time. He isn't one for conversation, but his emails were quick, friendly, and helpful. I had a good experience with him.

I see there is an addendum and it is recommended to not run the heater if you smell the gas as if the tank were getting low. So, probably ideal to not run a tank dry.

I have never heard of using ABS for a flue. isn't that passing hot exhaust fumes? I know ABS stinks when heated and deforms at a fairly low temp. I will have to check into this. I could it see for the intake side, but the exhaust I am blown away. highdesertranger

The exaust on the plat cat is much colder than a normal furnace, that's why you can use ABS.

Without pressure (which is what we're dealing with), PVC, CPVC, and ABS all have 180 degree temp rating. It's when pressure is applied when heat becomes more of a factor. Pressure reduces temp rating except for CPVC which retains its 180 rating.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/plastic-pipes-operating-pressure-d_1621.html

I read that ABS holds up better in the cold than PVC, but when I looked at the charts, the non-pressure cold ratings are the same. Cold temps are certainly a factor for many RV's. PEX goes all the way to 30 below. CPVC is much more susceptible to cracking below 50 degrees.

https://plasticpipe.org/pdf/tn-11_temperatue_limits_for_thermoplastic_non_pressure.pdf

PEX also has a 180+ degree rating with the coldest cold rating. The flexible version also the easiest to work with and because it has fewer connections, it has fewer chances for leaks. I am going to consider PEX as a possible flue.

I think all of the plastics require 6 to 12 inches of distance from heated sources. The PlatCat has a tube that comes up from the heat source, so that probably provides the distance required by code to then use the manufacturer recommended ABS pipe.

Use of North American made pipe is highly recommended as the quality is consistent. Foreign made pipe does not have the same consistent quality. Problems could develop more quickly as time passes. No pipe lasts forever, but quality pipe can last decades barring abuse or misuse.

HDR, thanks for the info! I had fun looking that up and expanding on it. I still need to look into it more; fortunately, the info is out there.

I am glad to help you in the right direction. I am glade you did the follow up and research it. you opened my eyes too, I never thought you could use plastic for a flue pipe. highdesertranger

I most definitely plan to order one of these (in the natural gas version) and install it in my rig.

T.I.M.

Canine said:
T.he I.nvisible M.an, yes, it is the 3P12. Although, I have taken to calling it the C3PO. Yeah, C3PO is a bit of a stretch, but that is me.  lol

HDR, All flue pipe must be ABS pipe. 1 1/2" ABS drain pipe is recommended. Total flue length should not exceed 12 feet. 10 feet or less is recommended to reduce chance of cavitation of the fan and increased noise. :)  Now I'm curious what you think about using ABS as a flue pipe. In my former house I had a high efficiency furnace installed and the installer used ABS pipe for intake and exhaust.

Opti, I sure hope you have better luck if you try another go around. That really bums me out that you didn't get taken care of the first time. He isn't one for conversation, but his emails were quick, friendly, and helpful. I had a good experience with him.

I see there is an addendum and it is recommended to not run the heater if you smell the gas as if the tank were getting low. So, probably ideal to not run a tank dry.

Canine,

Could you p.m. me the "approximate" price you paid for your heater. I don't need to know the exact price as I will use this information for budgeting.

Thanks,

T.I.M.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
There's a bit more than that, hdr.  The guy apparently figured out how to make the whole system work with a thermostat, so it goes on and off on it's own.  Sure wish Olympian would come up with something like that.

Regards
John

indeed!

Latest posts